C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Door Actuator Replacement Installation and Autopsy…

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 03:35 PM
LJD51
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Eastern NC; Retired x 2 (US Army: 70-90 AD) (US Army: 91-16 DAC); yea, I'm old.
Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Fuel Door Actuator Replacement Installation and Autopsy…

After reading Silver Devil’s thread about his fuel door actuator going kaput, mine did the same thing the next day. …so I picked up a new one from my local dealer and following Silver Devil’s write up and pics :thrumbs:, I installed mine last night.

I removed the wheel, fender liner and cooling duct. After 68k miles of blissful driving I had picked up a little extra weight in the form of sand, pebbles, the odd leaf or two and something I wasn’t sure what it was.

When I maneuvered the fender liner to remove it at the point where the brake duct and liner are attached to each other, this is what fell out:

This is looking at the rear of the fender liner where it attaches to the lower rear valance under the back up light.

And this is looking at the lower rear valance…

After getting everything back together, I decided to do an autopsy on the broken unit to see what caused it‘s demise even though I suspected it was a broken spring somewhere. I started at the back of the main control assembly and after unclipping the main cable from the front and the manual release cable from the back of the main control unit, when I looked at it, I was surprised to see there was no spring.

As you can see in the following pictures, the main control unit has a cavity behind which I believe is a magnet that is activated when the button inside the car is pushed. The magnet retracts a bullet-shaped cylinder which is connected to the main cable that goes through the fender above the liner to the fuel door thereby retracting the nub that holds the fuel door closed.

Main Control Assembly minus Cylinder:

Bullet-Shaped Cylinder:

Main Control Assembly with Cylinder:

Not finding a spring in the main control unit, I looked at the opposite end of the cable. The rubber boot comes off easily and by releasing the two small clips that are exposed at this point, the plunger is separated from the main cable.

Although it is a bit greasy (I had sprayed some WD-40 on it thinking it was just binding up), when I removed the plunger, out comes what was left of a spring whose wire diameter looks to be about two strands of hair thick.

All in all, I think I got my money’s worth out of the part; 68k miles divided by $58 for the part seems to be a good value. I did miss the World Series but I learned more about how to fix my own car…

Last edited by LJD51; 10-30-2008 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:40 PM
bagwell
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hummm I guess I have something to look forward to...

great pics! thanks!
Old 10-30-2008, 05:03 PM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
hummm I guess I have something to look forward to...

great pics! thanks!
Old 10-30-2008, 05:06 PM
jeffjob
POSSE Senior Hombre
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 211 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '17-'18

Thanks and great job...
Old 10-30-2008, 05:10 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Interesting, thanks for the information.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:14 PM
famdoc3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The spring for replacement is available at true value hardware. It is 1/4 inch in diameter part number c554 (package of 6) and cost $3.59 takes just a few minutes to replace. You do have to cut the spring 1/4" shorter. A corvette fix for less than 5 bucks! My first in 40 years of owning corvettes!

Last edited by famdoc3; 07-27-2013 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-20-2016, 12:42 PM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

Does anyone know if the release mech can be reached and replaced from the inside of the trunk of a C5 FRC? The panel(s) do not act like they can be removed? Thx, SCvette

Last edited by S.C. vette; 10-20-2016 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:57 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by famdoc3
The spring for replacement is available at true value hardware. It is 1/4 inch in diameter part number c554 (package of 6) and cost $3.59 takes just a few minutes to replace. You do have to cut the spring 1/4" shorter. A corvette fix for less than 5 bucks! My first in 40 years of owning corvettes!
Had to do the same thing...bought mine at Lowes. Took less than 30 minutes. My spring looked like the one in the pic.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:50 AM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 898 Likes on 584 Posts

Making some broad assumptions about how often you fill up and average fuel consumption, says that spring failed after only a couple of hundred cycles.

68,000 miles / (15 gallons * 20 MPG) = 227 door openings to fill up

That's pathetic. I've designed and tested springs to over 1 billion cycles. Obviously that would be overkill for this application but some design engineer should have been fired over this spring.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:54 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by dr_gallup
Making some broad assumptions about how often you fill up and average fuel consumption, says that spring failed after only a couple of hundred cycles.

68,000 miles / (15 gallons * 20 MPG) = 227 door openings to fill up

That's pathetic. I've designed and tested springs to over 1 billion cycles. Obviously that would be overkill for this application but some design engineer should have been fired over this spring.
he was probably promoted.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:24 PM
RICH 28
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by S.C. vette
Does anyone know if the release mech can be reached and replaced from the inside of the trunk of a C5 FRC? The panel(s) do not act like they can be removed? Thx, SCvette
If your c5 is like my c6 and your spring is broken, then you don't need to remove any panels. Just open the fuel door and remove the .... see post #42. That's how I fixed mine, only I used a spring from a hand soap dispenser. Works great! https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1592050016

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Door Actuator Replacement Installation and Autopsy…

Quick Reply: Fuel Door Actuator Replacement Installation and Autopsy…