C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Owner's of Sears' DieHard Battery Maintainer/Charger please help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 10:28 AM
rjwoerheide
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Deltran battery tender plus, but the symptoms you describe sound normal. I agree with AORoads.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:39 AM
metroplex
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C6-Chris
Hey guys,

I need your help this morning:

I purchased the DieHard Battery Charger/Maintainer (Model # 28-71219) at Sears on Friday night, and I have a question.

I plugged it into my C6's cigarette lighter input, and plugged it into the garage outlet, and it began to charge. I just had the car out earlier for a half an hour, so the battery was almost fully charged. It charged for about 25 mins, then switched to "Charged", but would switch back to "Charge" every 4-5 seconds. It would repeat this process for the whole night???

I couldn't find anywhere in the book, or this forum to see if this was normal. I even read "Battery Tender" brand's Manual online, and that symptom for them could be a bad battery. So I hooked it up to my daily driver, my Intrepid R/T (which has a brand new battery that I just installed a few months ago), and plugged it in, and charged for 15 mins, then started doing the back and forth with the LED lights?

PLEASE HELP!!!
It depends... A smart maintainer tends to go through 3 modes:
Absorption Charge
Trickle Charge
Maintenance Charge

In Absorption mode, the charger tries to raise the battery voltage to 14.4-14.5 VDC, and then switches back down to 13.2-13.6 VDC at a lower current. Finally, it flows back to a maintenance charge of about 12.8 VDC to 13.2 VDC at 20mA to 250 mA.

I have a Battery Tender Waterproof 800 mA smart maintainer for the battery on the 2007 Mustang GT and it provides a steady 25mA of current at ~12.85VDC during maintenance mode (Green LED / CHARGED). I rarely see it switching back and forth unless I am drawing power from the battery.

If your battery is old, it may switch back and forth constantly due to higher parasitic discharging from sulfated plates. If your battery is relatively new, your car may have an added parasitic load (electronics/accessories). Keep radar detectors, cellphone chargers, and other devices disconnected.

Last edited by metroplex; 11-03-2008 at 10:42 AM.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:41 AM
metroplex
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by ablackacre
Also, don't forget about the clothes-dryer-sheets or mothballs trick when you store your car. My wife likes the dryer sheets best.
Good tip. I use some old socks with kitty litter crystals (the ones that absorb moisture and odors) spread throughout the interior and trunk of the GT. It takes away any funky smells that may linger in the interior, along with moisture.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:49 AM
vettnut69
Burning Brakes

I have the same sears model (71219) which I bought couple of weeks ago and mine did the same thing for the first couple of days and then slowed down a bit.. I have another model on my battery back up sump pump and that constantly goes back and forth and has been doing that for years.

Last edited by vettnut69; 11-03-2008 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:53 AM
metroplex
Heel & Toe

I recommend the Battery Tender:
http://batterytender.com/product_inf...01f1ae3acf8dbd

Amazon has better prices. I use the Waterproof, which is a fully encapsulated charger (you can immerse the charger in salt water while it is charging), for my Mustang. I looked at the Schumacher and Sears chargers but you have to make sure they're fully automatic and even then there are different grades of electronics quality. The Battery Tenders are pretty much the best in the market.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:17 PM
Racer86
Safety Car

Received 376 Likes on 180 Posts

For those of us that use a Battery tender,,,,,does this make the Corvette a,, "Plug in Hybrid?"
Old 11-14-2008, 05:07 AM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

I have two Sears Battery Maintainers. They are several years apart in age. The newest one is 2 amp and the older one is a 1.5 amp. The older one would charge a battery from the amber light to green and stay at green, unless the battery power was used and it needed to charge again. Yet the newer model kind of jumps back and forth between green and amber every minute or so. I am told this is a good thing in maintaining the battery. So then why didn't my older unit do this....is it bad or did they change the design, like they did the amps? Sears just puts their name on them but Schumacher is the actual manufacture.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:52 AM
metroplex
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Shylor
I have two Sears Battery Maintainers. They are several years apart in age. The newest one is 2 amp and the older one is a 1.5 amp. The older one would charge a battery from the amber light to green and stay at green, unless the battery power was used and it needed to charge again. Yet the newer model kind of jumps back and forth between green and amber every minute or so. I am told this is a good thing in maintaining the battery. So then why didn't my older unit do this....is it bad or did they change the design, like they did the amps? Sears just puts their name on them but Schumacher is the actual manufacture.
That's what my Black and Decker does - it jumps back and forth. Once it dips below 12.6 VDC, it springs to life and brings it up to 14.4 VDC then repeats the cycle. This is worthless IMHO. My Battery Tender Waterproof maintains the battery at 12.8-13.2 VDC at 20mA-200mA. It springs back to life only when there is a big load.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:33 AM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

All I know is that my older Battery Maintainer (the 1.5 amp), that didn't jump back and forth, ended up with a dead battery twice. So even though it was showing a green light the battery was not charged. It may be that the battery was beyond holding a charge but then I would think the charger wouldn't have shown a steady green light.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:56 AM
metroplex
Heel & Toe

The Battery Tender is basically the Corvette of battery chargers. If you're not sure about what the charger is doing, it is time to log some data:

Monitor terminal voltage
Monitor current leading into the battery

A $50 Sears AC and DC clamp ammeter w/ digital multimeter functions is a worthy investment. I confirmed that the Battery Tender waterproof IS providing current into the battery when the LED is green. I also confirmed the voltage is maintained at around 12.8-13.2 VDC. At 20mA-200mA, that is enough power to maintain the battery (which is what you want) and prevent sulfation. A charger that totally cuts off when the LED is green doesn't really do much good as it is allowing parasitic drain of the battery until the voltage reaches a pre-established set point.

Amazon just dropped the price on the Battery Tender Waterproof from $40 to $33.99, so I bought another one for my daily driver (when I park it on the weekends):
http://www.amazon.com/Deltran-Batter...6664148&sr=8-1

Last edited by metroplex; 11-14-2008 at 07:02 AM.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:08 PM
MYREDZO6
Advanced

St. Jude Donor '11

I just bought one of the DieHard 71219 Battery Maintainers and noticed that all 3 lights are blinking very fast. It does this for a short while and then switches back to charging. Have any other owners of this model experienced this and is it normal? The Manual says nothing about it. My Z06 is new (November, 2010) and so is the battery as I had the dealer replace it after it died on the second day of ownership. BTW, it also did the same thing on one of my other cars which I used as a test to make sure it would not blow up the Z06 battery; it didn't so I guess this is normal? Any replies about this sympton will be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:33 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

IBTL .............. 2 year old thread.

Quick Reply: Owner's of Sears' DieHard Battery Maintainer/Charger please help!