C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who out there has another sports car other than a Corvette (PIC)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 02:11 PM
srosenfield
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who out there has another sports car other than a Corvette (PIC)?

Wondering if anyone out there who has a sports car in addition to a Corvette would like to share their opinions about the cars, pros and cons of each....?

I am fortunate to own a 2007 ZO6 and also a 2002 Honda S2000, each is just a toy, not daily drivers. I am often asked which I prefer to drive or just to generally compare and contrast the two. I will say that my Honda has been modified with a supercharger, big brake kit, and coilovers, while my ZO6 is essentially stock with the exception of some aesthetic mods.

I will start out by stating that the two cars are both incredible, fun to drive but very different. The Honda is small, light, you do not get in it but wear it like a glove. The steering is much more responsive, the shifter is probably one of the best on ANY sports car. The ride is stiff, and would be uncomfortable on a prolonged drive. There is very little torque when compared to the ZO6 and the 2L engine has to really wind up to hit the power band. However, there is nothing like hearing that little engine at 9K RPM. When the RPM's do get up there it does give a good kick in the butt and scoots pretty good also.

The Corvette is pure neck snapping power. My wife prefers the Corvette as she is almost 6'2" and it is easier to get in and out of, and is way more comfortable. I am very respectful of the ZO6's power with my average driving skills. I have taken my Honda on the 1/4 mile and had trap speeds just a hair under 105 mph, but will not do the same with the Corvette as I am sure I will end up against a wall. Attention wise I think I get more looks in my Honda probably because there are so few S2000's here in Alaska. I am often asked how I like my Boxter or Miata and people are absolutely shocked to learn it is a Honda, they had no clue Honda makes a sports care like that. They are also surprised to know that the Honda can probably outperform the Boxter. Imagine what the power in the ZO6 would be if GM could make an engine putting out 120 HP/liter as in the stock S2000!

Anyway, I love both of these cars and have no intention of getting rid of either one in the near or distant future. Now that the S2000 is going out of production next month, maybe it will become somewhat of a collector car in the future.

When I ask my kids (2 girls) which car they would prefer when they get to be driving age they both want my 13 year old Volvo sedan and do not want anything to do with the cool cars. They actually dislike the Corvette because it takes my attention from the Honda and I have had the Honda since 2002. Anyway, I suspect their views will change when they want to impress their boyfriends with the cars. Not likely they will ask for the keys to the Volvo for their date, also not likely they will get the keys to either the Corvette or the Honda for that matter.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-22-2009, 03:17 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 87 Posts

We have a few cars,but I go to the grave with a Z06 and the stinky Ford in my sig......

The two cars are very similar when stock,with a slight edge to the Z06 in acceleration. The GT handles better with no nervous twitchiness at the ragged edge,probably attributable to the GT being a mid-engine car. I've never driven anything that felt more connected to the road.

I don't know that I could choose one over another if I had a gun to my head....it's like asking which of your kids is your favorite.

Last edited by redzone; 05-22-2009 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:28 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Not sure why S2K folks always bring up the specific output argument... power/displacement is irrelevant. You want to look at power per pound of the powerplant or power vs. overall size. That 7.0 LS7 is a very "small" motor dimensionally and it's very light for what it is.

I really like your two cars... but find it funny that S2K owners always bring up the HP/L because in the end it's irrelevant.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:32 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

`74 MGB . . .4 cyl about 75hp w/Weber 2bbl 80k miles. . . owned since 1982... different planet than the Vette but good fun. `74 L48 Vette coupe in the background.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:35 PM
lander
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Are those training wheels on that MGB?
Old 05-22-2009, 03:40 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CQRT
`74 MGB . . .4 cyl about 75hp w/Weber 2bbl 80k miles. . . owned since 1982... different planet than the Vette but good fun. `74 L48 Vette coupe in the background.

Now that's a SPORTS CAR.
Here's another one:
Old 05-22-2009, 03:49 PM
sjohnson2615
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Besides the 06 C6 I have a 1987 Porsche 944.I just turned 50,000 miles last week and would not get rid of it.After 22 years it has just become like an old friend.(I do not have any human friends LOL )
I find myself taking the 944 out over the Corvette when I am just running around town.Even though it was the "cheap" Porsche,it is solid as a vault and never a rattle or squeak,unlike the Corvette.It is small and handles like a go cart.No horsepower,but very fun to drive.The original paint is just fantastic and has held up perfectly,orange peel and all!I owned a 911 Carrera and a 928 but enjoy the 944 more than I did either of those.
The 06 is my 15th Corvette over the last 32 years,so I am definately a fan ,but I never had one that I wanted to keep a long time like the 944,except the 66 coupe which I should have kept.
But when I need a horsepower fix,there is nothing like the Corvette!
Old 05-22-2009, 03:49 PM
SnapperDragon
Drifting

People love stating figures that make it seem like something is tops for a certain figure where, in fact, it does not matter. Because everything is trade-offs.

You want big torque? You need a heavy drive-train, etc. Trade offs. I think GM builds some amazing engines, and they are in the Corvettes. I love when people call the small block which has been refined since the 50's as antiquated and a dinosaur. That simply shows bias.

Anyway, that is a cool Honda car. The only thing I've ever owned with a Honda name on it is my lawn mower, and the transmission just broke on it. Oh, the IRONY
Old 05-22-2009, 04:29 PM
RadChad
Intermediate

Originally Posted by redzone
We have a few cars,but I go to the grave with a Z06 and the stinky Ford in my sig......

The two cars are very similar when stock,with a slight edge to the Z06 in acceleration. The GT handles better with no nervous twitchiness at the ragged edge,probably attributable to the GT being a mid-engine car. I've never driven anything that felt more connected to the road.

I don't know that I could choose one over another if I had a gun to my head....it's like asking which of your kids is your favorite.
Hey, it may be a ford, but that GT is easily one of the most striking, beautiful cars ever made.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:50 PM
g.smith
Racer

[QUOTE= Attention wise I think I get more looks in my Honda [/QUOTE]

Be careful! Vette owners don't like to hear that they are not centers of attention!
I recently posted a question about the S2000 and most comments were sort of negative in nature. Well I've only had the Honda for four days and can tell you that I can't stop driving it.
More fun to drive then the Vette, not more comfortable, not more power, just more fun to drive!!
And another thing I noticed is that people are more willing to approach you and talk about the car and are generally just more friendly. On a personal note, I'll take and park the S2000 anywhere and think nothing of it but I was always Leary about taking my C6 places like the mall and etc., so I'm sure I'll continue to drive it more,
Old 05-22-2009, 04:55 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by lander
Ha-ha ! ! ! makes it easier to shove around the garage

Old 05-22-2009, 04:59 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't have another sports car. The C6 is good enough for me. At least for now.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:06 PM
srtclg1007
Racer

St. Jude Donor '11

I'd like to have that GT.... Wow, what a beautiful car!!!
Old 05-22-2009, 05:08 PM
Rule292
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I had a TR7 once and hated it. Inadequate brakes, crappy quality, head gasket problems. Not for me.

I wished they still made a 318tii for smaller fun but they no makee a roadster and the Z series are fugly.

Originally Posted by g.smith
...I recently posted a question about the S2000 and most comments were sort of negative in nature. Well I've only had the Honda for four days and can tell you that I can't stop driving it.
More fun to drive then the Vette, not more comfortable, not more power, just more fun to drive!!...
I suspect that this is due to the fact that the H is a lot smaller and easier to throw around. The Vette is awesome but it is just FEELS big because it is.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:18 PM
mgtr
Pro

I have a few, though none as nice or as powerful as the C6. I have a 54 Austin Healey, 56 MGA, 65 MGB, 67 MGB, 67 MGBGT, 73 Jensen Healey, and an 80 Triumph TR8. All but the two Healeys are finished and on the road. We took a long ride in the MGA this morning (not in Florida, in the summer we are on the SC/NC border, plenty of mountain roads).
Old 05-22-2009, 05:22 PM
conlaurant
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

I just freshened up the 06 C6 Z51 vert (ms) for a NEW! 09 C6 Z51 vert (blk). The wife has an 08 Lexus IS-F (416hp) and we have an 07 Trailblazer SS and an 07 Malibu SS.....daily driver's......however they have been sitting lately . Acutally I can't stop drivin the wifes F, sweet car.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:26 PM
0corvette pilot
Former Vendor

My wife has a Z4 Roadster (08). Next summer we are getting the new Z4. Its a fun little car. Even with run flats, ceramic brake pads and an auto, it was pretty fun when I took it out on the race track for a session.

Its no corvette, but its fun.

Get notified of new replies

To Who out there has another sports car other than a Corvette (PIC)?

Old 05-22-2009, 06:11 PM
STEVE MC
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought the wife a TT Coupe. It's a fun car to drive as a DD. Good gas mileage, awd and plenty or rear storage space much like the Vette Coupe. I'm actually thinking about a TTS for myself as a DD..................................if my investments ever recover.

But let me say, nothing will ever replace my Vette.

And here's my baby

Last edited by STEVE MC; 05-23-2009 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:10 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

I bought this new in 1992. I can't make myself give it up as it's just too much fun. It's been "adjusted" to approx 300 hp. It's been in 38 states and has done 4 four-day cross-America trips (one with the T-tops off the entire way )

Z//

Old 05-22-2009, 07:28 PM
Johnny Utah
Safety Car

Location: ,fl.Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Those my friend is what thieves put under the corvette to quitley transport the car around quietly to an awaiting flatbed
Originally Posted by lander

Quick Reply: Who out there has another sports car other than a Corvette (PIC)?