C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

supercharged Z51 vs. Z06

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 09:55 PM
z28flash
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default supercharged Z51 vs. Z06

Not wanting to start any wars, but I haven't found any comparisons between a stock Z06 (awesome car) and a supercharged Z51 C6. I would think 0-60 times would be very close, and probably track times, since everything I've read on the non-modified Z06 indicates it is more tricky at the track to drive. Just curious.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:13 PM
C6Brain
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have one of each and I can tell you that the Z06 is better balanced in its stock configuration. It was not until I added track tires, rotors/pads, shocks and sways that the drivetrain could handle the power that the supercharger produced.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:13 PM
Daytona Bob
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09 & '12, '14

Originally Posted by z28flash
Not wanting to start any wars, but I haven't found any comparisons between a stock Z06 (awesome car) and a supercharged Z51 C6. I would think 0-60 times would be very close, and probably track times, since everything I've read on the non-modified Z06 indicates it is more tricky at the track to drive. Just curious.
What are you smoking (said nicely)? The Z06 is the ultimate track car.

I'm sorry but I have a Z51 and sticking a Supercharger in it will not make it a Z06.

Here is a link to a thread about one members experience.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...t-weekend.html

ALSO

Check out this video from BEZ06 and let all the doubters fall in silence!

http://vimeo.com/2129031
Old 11-07-2008, 10:22 PM
Burnin4
Burning Brakes

a good friend of mine has an 08 LS3 with an ECS kit, and i have an 08 z. they are 2 very diff cars, with the z being much more refined, although his car is very nice. his car dyno'd 520/475 in upper 90 degree temps, and mine 465/430 with intake + tune....we ran door to door from 45-145mph.

we recently went to the dragstrip, here were our results...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ovi-strip.html

I recently installed a cam, and we went out playing again. temps were 55 degrees, almost 45degrees cooler than when he was tuned (520/475) and his car came alive . however, it wasnt enough for my lethal z . i have a vid if u want to see it...

a blown LS3 will be faster than a stock z, but only in a straight line.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:23 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytona Bob
. . . I'm sorry but I have a Z51 and sticking a Supercharger in it will not make it a Z06.
I'm sure that's true. Been wanting to trade up, however, can't with the current economic condition along with the possibility of warranty's going by the way side, possibly (???). But having said that, I still bet it's a good SOTP experience. Some are probably gong to say "true, for as long as something doesn't break"!
Old 11-07-2008, 10:28 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It will have lots of power.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:28 PM
Daytona Bob
Race Director

Originally Posted by GotVett?
I'm sure that's true. Been wanting to trade up, however, can't with the current economic condition along with the possibility of warranty's going by the way side, possibly (???). But having said that, I still bet it's a good SOTP experience. Some are probably gong to say "true, for as long as something doesn't break"!

Haha well he is asking a specific question regarding the Z06 on the track. The track is that car's home field!! Even vs a Supercharged Z51.

Now if he said "Drag Racing" or Vert vs z06 or Value Z51 vs Z06 for everyday use... I'm sure our responses may be more suitable.

Lets not forgot that National Geographic taught us all about the C6Z's race bred heritage.

P.S. I agree its a scary time to be buying anything expensive. Hopefully in a few years I will be able to choose between a Vert or Z06 for my new vette..
Old 11-07-2008, 10:36 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Haha well he is asking a specific question regarding the Z06 on the track. The track is that car's home field!! Even vs a Supercharged Z51.

Now if he said "Drag Racing" or Vert vs z06 or Value Z51 vs Z06 for everyday use... I'm sure our responses may be more suitable.

Lets not forgot that National Geographic taught us all about the C6Z's race bred heritage.

P.S. I agree its a scary time to be buying anything expensive. Hopefully in a few years I will be able to choose between a Vert or Z06 for my new vette..
Right DB. I think I'm not alone in saying that I'm starting to get a different kind of SOTP experience. It's called "hold on for dear life".
Old 11-07-2008, 11:38 PM
JTS97Z28
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnin4
a good friend of mine has an 08 LS3 with an ECS kit, and i have an 08 z. they are 2 very diff cars, with the z being much more refined, although his car is very nice. his car dyno'd 520/475 in upper 90 degree temps, and mine 465/430 with intake + tune....we ran door to door from 45-145mph.

I recently installed a cam, and we went out playing again. temps were 55 degrees, almost 45degrees cooler than when he was tuned (520/475) and his car came alive . however, it wasnt enough for my lethal z . i have a vid if u want to see it...

Just out of curiosity how in the heck did your friend only run a 12.0 with a blown LS3?!?!?!?!

My buddy ran his 08 BONE stock with the exception of long tubes and vararam to a 11.8 @ 122
Just sounds odd he is running stock LS3 times with a several thousand dollar blower.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:50 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
Just out of curiosity how in the heck did your friend only run a 12.0 with a blown LS3?!?!?!?!

My buddy ran his 08 BONE stock with the exception of long tubes and vararam to a 11.8 @ 122
Just sounds odd he is running stock LS3 times with a several thousand dollar blower.
I ran 11.98 @ 120 with out the blower, Not saying you have a Z when you add a blower. But you still have a Corvette. It just that if a Z wants to play and gets beat he oh well!
Old 11-08-2008, 12:09 AM
John510
Drifting

Received 889 Likes on 381 Posts

What does Z51 have to do with the motor?
Old 11-08-2008, 12:15 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by John510
It's all in the Badges my friend!
Old 11-08-2008, 12:19 AM
kyle0k
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Burnin4

Id love to see that vid, if u can send me the link

As for supercharged/turbo C6 Vs z06, i was under the impression that STRIGHT LINE, the supercharged/turbo destroys the z06 especially on the freeway. alot of guys get 500rhwp with nothing but a turbo/supercharger and the right tune, while the z06 is 505 at the crank, big difference. I hear the biggest problem is traction, that everything else stock it will quarter mile as much as a z06 just because it wont catch traction, but with some slicks could get in the 10's. Again this is out of everything i read, cant argue with real life results experiences! (but dont let the video of some only running in low 12's discourage you, my friend has seen a brand new z06 at the track and the guy was running high 12's-low 13's. alot has to do with the driver, and its a big challange driving such a traction limited car)
Adding a supercharger and other parts to make it even faster//better ahndling will not make it a z06, but unless you really care about the 'oo i got the big bad z06' hype it doesnt really matter, dont know why z06 guys get so offended and say 'its still not a z06'. great, and your cars not a veyron, whats your point , a z06 is a model of the corvette not a god. On the other hand, you get a removable roof, and its cheaper! No warranty, but its coming to that time that alot of the older z06s are coming out of warranty within a year anyways too.

Last edited by kyle0k; 11-08-2008 at 12:22 AM.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:58 AM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

A C6 prepared correctly with FI should beat a stock Z06 in a drag race. You also have to consider the cost of adding FI to a C6 which is not cheap.

However, if you are looking for a good all around package then you might as well go for the Z06 (as dealers have reduced their prices to move inventory making them very attractive if you are looking to mod a C6 to keep up with a Z06 in all aspects of motor racing).
Old 11-08-2008, 06:56 AM
Gannet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

There's nothing particularly magic about the Z06. Certainly you can take a base C6 and modify the engine, suspension, brakes, wheels, and tires and get something that meets or exceeds the performance of a stock Z06. The problem is, to do ALL of that gets quite expensive, to where it may or may not make economic sense. Another problem is that you'll never get the mod money back if you have to sell or it gets totalled. But, if you want a non-Z06 feature (targa, vert), or you already have a paid-for (or mostly) C6, or you only want part of the Z06 performance envelope (like power, for instance), then it can be a very viable way to go.

Me, I weighed all the considerations carefully, and came down on the side of the Z. But that was for my situation, yours will be different.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:24 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by Gannet
There's nothing particularly magic about the Z06. Certainly you can take a base C6 and modify the engine, suspension, brakes, wheels, and tires and get something that meets or exceeds the performance of a stock Z06. The problem is, to do ALL of that gets quite expensive, to where it may or may not make economic sense. Another problem is that you'll never get the mod money back if you have to sell or it gets totalled. But, if you want a non-Z06 feature (targa, vert), or you already have a paid-for (or mostly) C6, or you only want part of the Z06 performance envelope (like power, for instance), then it can be a very viable way to go.

Me, I weighed all the considerations carefully, and came down on the side of the Z. But that was for my situation, yours will be different.
nice answer.

Some people just do not want a hardtop or as noted have already bought another C6. In the end you can take any car and make it faster or outperform any other car, but its what you want to invest in it after you get it (just look at my ECS LS7-427 C5. I promise you it will outperform a C6Z and new ZR1 on most road race tracks, but then again that is why I have the car).

The Stock C6Z is a great car right from GM, but do not sell the Z51 short. Recent write-ups give alot of good mentions to the Z51 especially on the track and some pick the Z51 over the C6Z. Personally I like the power of the C6Z over the Z51, but not everyone can handle that power. I see this all the time at the track. Extremely fast cars driven slower than potential because the driver cannot handle the power which translate that sometimes less is actually more.

In the end you have a vette. You want it to go fast then do some research and add the mods to make it as fast as you want. If you want it to handle better do some research and make it handle better. All the options are right there for you, but you need to decide what you can afford and what you want to do with the car.

Any questions feel free to PM me.

Bob

Old 11-08-2008, 09:46 AM
Bulitt
Racer

Your add-on will give you more power than a stock Z as long as your pistons don't let go.
You can get a Z suspension very cheap by buying in the parts section.
Or you can have a coil over suspension from forum vendors for less than 3 grand.
You can buy wheels and tires all day from the parts section.
Forum Vendors such as LG and Katech resell stock Z parts all the time.
Things to remember - there is no substitute for cubic inches, and your resale value will be higher with a stock Z. You will never get your money back on upgrades unless your name is Lingenfelter or Hennesey etc...

But you will have a great deal of fun modding your car!!!

Get notified of new replies

To supercharged Z51 vs. Z06

Old 11-08-2008, 10:15 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by John510
What are you talking about?? Don't you know all non Z51 cars come with the LT1 engine , DUH
Old 11-08-2008, 10:23 AM
Daytona Bob
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bulitt
Your add-on will give you more power than a stock Z as long as your pistons don't let go.
You can get a Z suspension very cheap by buying in the parts section.
Or you can have a coil over suspension from forum vendors for less than 3 grand.You can buy wheels and tires all day from the parts section.
Forum Vendors such as LG and Katech resell stock Z parts all the time.
Things to remember - there is no substitute for cubic inches, and your resale value will be higher with a stock Z. You will never get your money back on upgrades unless your name is Lingenfelter or Hennesey etc...

But you will have a great deal of fun modding your car!!!
I think most of us want a Balanced All-around performing car. GM paid its engineers to design the Z06 as a Balanced track car. For me to assume I can do better by hunting and pecking at different aftermarket parts - slapping them on the Vette is subjective at best. With the prices of the Z06 falling like all cars... It makes much more sense to buy the Z06 with a nice warranty and have as much as you will need in a racecar.

For the price of a quality Supercharger installation and Widebody kit you can just get the real deal.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:45 AM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

I think most of us want a Balanced All-around performing car. GM paid its engineers to design the Z06 as a Balanced track car. For me to assume I can do better by hunting and pecking at different aftermarket parts - slapping them on the Vette is subjective at best. With the prices of the Z06 falling like all cars... It makes much more sense to buy the Z06 with a nice warranty and have as much as you will need in a racecar.

For the price of a quality Supercharger installation and Widebody kit you can just get the real deal.

And then you have to turn around and start dumping $$$ in the Z06 to boost the power to where it should be.

Quick Reply: supercharged Z51 vs. Z06