C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

installing lowering bolts, the easy way

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 08:07 PM
HANNY
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts
Default installing lowering bolts, the easy way

A pretty easy thing to do if you unhook or dont unhook the right stuff. The lowering bolt instructions talk about taking the ball joint apart but i found an easier way. I just unbolted the upper control arms (two bolts on the rear and 4 on the front) undid the sway bar at the frame (two bolts there to front or rear) and jacked up the leaf spring and removed the bolts. I probably didnt explain that well but here are a few pics. Pm me if you need more info.
<rear control arms>
<front control arms>
be careful on these there are washers behind the arm to the frame. The front 2 bolts have 2 washers,the back 2 have 1 washer eachpicture of jacking up the leaf spring to get at lowering bolt>
sway bar removal>>>lowering bolts old and new ones finished height
pretty easy to do should take a novice about 3 hours. Regards,paul
The following users liked this post:
TCW (09-14-2021)
Old 12-07-2008, 08:15 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The shocks are the same way. I tried like hell to compress the shock with 432 zip ties and finally removed the upper control arms.
AgainstTheWind (10-23-2022)
Old 09-13-2021, 11:16 PM
taps65
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I did exactly as you instructed and got my rears done in less than an hour! I used Eibach lowering bolts and did one full turn backed out from fully seated which allowed less than a finger gap from the wheel well to the top of the tire. For the front i seated the stock bolts all the way up and gave me the same height as the rear. Thanks a bunch.

Last edited by taps65; 11-07-2021 at 02:18 PM.
Old 09-14-2021, 03:20 PM
rharper
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The washers are one of the adjustments to your alignment, so the following statement may not be true for all cars.

The front 2 bolts have 2 washers,the back 2 have 1 washer each

Pay attention to how many washers are at each location, and put them back how whey were.
cmonkey713 (09-15-2021)
Old 09-15-2021, 04:44 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 546 Likes on 374 Posts

Thanks for the post. I need to replace the nose height bolt/bushing because it's worn and because I need to raise the nose. This answers my question on how to remove/replace this bolt.

You can also lower the nose of the car by installing an aftermarket supercharger. The extra weight of the supercharger lowers the nose. That's my situation. Then with the lowered nose, an accidental nose impact to the road due to a dip in the road produced about $2500 of damage. The undernose skid bars are part of the radiator frame. My road collision cracked the radiator frame, the radiator and condensor. After repairing that damage, a second road impact ripped the bumper fascia, but fortunately didn't appear to crack the radiator frame.

Last edited by 68/70Vette; 09-15-2021 at 04:47 PM.
Old 09-15-2021, 09:00 PM
Keppler
Safety Car

Received 432 Likes on 303 Posts

Yes, removing the upper control arm is easy.

Popping off the upper ball joint is very easy. It is the lower ball joint that can be difficult.

Last edited by Keppler; 09-15-2021 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-22-2022, 06:23 PM
i3oosted
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Any of these parts under pressure when the car is on jack stands? Before I start unbolting stuff, I don't want to take my arm off. Undoing the sway bar cap while its on jack stands, is the sway bar under pressure? Thanks.
Old 10-23-2022, 12:52 AM
C6_Prodigy
Pro

Received 325 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by i3oosted
Any of these parts under pressure when the car is on jack stands? Before I start unbolting stuff, I don't want to take my arm off. Undoing the sway bar cap while its on jack stands, is the sway bar under pressure? Thanks.
Nope, you're good to go. You will likely need to remove the brake caliper and suspend it on something, otherwise the whole assembly drops low enough to put a lot of pressure on the brake line. You can unbolt the sway bar in the air no problem.

Get notified of new replies

To installing lowering bolts, the easy way

Quick Reply: installing lowering bolts, the easy way