C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XM doesn't deserve my business!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 07:24 AM
Ktzon
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default XM doesn't deserve my business!

So, I purchased a new 2009 coupe and had the experience of XM and Onstar for the first time. Since I'm in the Northeast, the car went straight into storage until April. The day after I brought the car home, the county salted the roads.

Anyway, I called Onstar and explained that the car is in storage and if they would suspend my free 1 year until April, they said "no problem". Onstar was great, then I called XM radio to do the same thing. XM said, sorry sir but we can't do that.
Lousy way to run a business, I will not subscribe to XM in the future.]
Chris
Old 12-10-2008, 07:39 AM
clydetrb
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW, that sucks ! I had my vette in the shop this summer for a few months. My service expired while the vette was down. I called them to renew and just mentioned the car was in the shop and THEY offered two extra months free. Sorry they weren't willing to work with you.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:52 AM
6speedC6
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It seems since they merged with their only competition, they don't concern themselves with customer service.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:00 AM
TBD
Burning Brakes

Received 264 Likes on 113 Posts

Do you ask the cable company to suspend your service when you go on vacation? Same thing. It's $.21 per day even when paying for it...yours is free!

Peace, out.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:04 AM
AutoCutter
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With the XM company, I guess it all depends on who you get on the phone. Some operators are right on point and will help you out, but there are some who just will not lift a finger to do anything.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:05 AM
bagwell
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have waited to activate the XM.......why did you activate it if you were going to put it in storage?

I just activated my 2006's XM free 3 month trial.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:05 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by 6speedC6
It seems since they merged with their only competition, they don't concern themselves with customer service.
Not sure they ever did.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:18 AM
AutoCutter
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ben dover
Not sure they ever did.
True, for a lot of companies that use phone banks for customer service the goal becomes faster call turn overs with the least customer give backs. Operators who are actually helpful, normally, are kinda bucking the phone bank's system. For customers who "gets" the bums rush treatment, the best tactic is to keep the operator talking for as long as you can before asking for the supervisor.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:51 AM
Ktzon
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The dealership activates XM once the car arrives from BG, again this is the free 3 month trial period I was asking to postpone, so to me there's a difference from having a subscription. I asked the dealership not to activate it but they said once they activate Onstar, they have to activate XM....
Anyway,
I tried every way not to activate it, but my point is , it's no extra cost to XM to start my free trial period in April. Why couldn't they move the start date like Onstar did?? Geeze
Old 12-10-2008, 08:58 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Suggest you cancel the service. When my son deployed to IRAQ last fall he called XM and they happily agreed to suspend his service and monthly billing (he's on a monthly billing plan because he's military) until his expected return in April.

What's funny is he left his car with his aunt/uncle in Colorado Springs who drive it from time to time and they report XM is still working yet XM ceased billing.

So our experience is different. Sorry to hear you are unhappy and as I said you should cancel the service and move on. MP3's are a good replacement.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:08 AM
Daytona Bob
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 & '12, '14

My position is I'm happy to see XM taking a tougher stance.

Realistically you will get the $77 deal when your free trial is over.

Considering that...and your comment about not renewing.....I say good luck.

While your burning mp3's - I'll be driving to some XM!
Old 12-10-2008, 09:22 AM
ALD_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The XM is on while on the dealer's lot. Once it's reported delivered under your name, the 3 month "TRIAL" starts. If it was a free 3 month "subscription", I guess you could delay it. But it is a trial so that's why they probably can't do anything about it.

Who's really losing if you don't renew? I love XM and at $77 per year, it's well worth it.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:36 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by 6speedC6
They never did concern themselves with customer service. I had horrible problems with them - so I went from three vehicles with them to none. I've been XM free for over two years now, and feel pretty good about it.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:38 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
I would have waited to activate the XM.......why did you activate it if you were going to put it in storage?

I just activated my 2006's XM free 3 month trial.
Like others have said, the dealers activate it before you even take delivery of the car. What annoys the hell out of me is that the dealers give them our phone numbers without our permission as well (XM and OnStar).
Old 12-10-2008, 09:42 AM
ALD_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When you buy the car you usually sign a privacy notice which allows the dealer to share information with businesses directly involved with the purchase of the car such as the bank, the manufacturer, etc. So most people are giving permission without realizing it.

Besides, the OnStar online enrollment and the new car delivery reporting require a phone number before proceeding to the next screen.

Get notified of new replies

To XM doesn't deserve my business!

Quick Reply: XM doesn't deserve my business!