C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!! Should I buy a C6?? The Dodge Viper is tempting....help me out guys!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 11:16 PM
TexDeuce
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! Should I buy a C6?? The Dodge Viper is tempting....help me out guys!

Hey guys!

I would really appreciate your help and feedback.

Ok here's the deal. I have been lurking this forum for a little while now. I'm 26 years old and and looking to purchase a new car. This is a reward to myself for working my @$$ off the past couple of years. I have a Chevy Tahoe for a daily driver so this will be a weekend car. I had a Mustang GT vert in high-school and have always wanted to get another sports car.

I have the search narrowed down to the C6 (06' or '07) or the 2nd generation Viper. My dad had 2 Vettes growing up, and I had a poster of a Viper and Vette in my room growing up. A childhood dream of mine is about to be fulfilled.

Now help me out! I have read the pros and cons of both cars, and it seems the Vette is better in almost every way except.......horsepower, looks (I like both), and exclusivity.

This will be a weekend car so I don't need it to ride like a Rolls Royce, but I would love to hear you guys opions on this.

My concerns on the Viper.....maintenance costs, uncomfortable ride, rattling, heat coming in the car. I hear the Viper is a rough ride.......is this true? Is it really that bad? Anyone rode in one? How do they compare? What should I consider before purchasing the Vette or Viper?

I still need to test drive a Viper, but I would love to hear some feedback on the Vette, Viper, or from those who have had both.

I know this is a Vette forum so at the least please tell me the pros and cons of the C6. This will really help me make an informed decision. Thanks guys!

***No need to turn this into a bashing session, both are great American Icons. However, candid feedback is welcome***
Old 12-15-2008, 11:29 PM
larvette
Drifting

IMO there is only one great american icon. The one that is called "AMERICAS SPORT CAR" And thats CORVETTE
Old 12-16-2008, 12:47 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Be sure the test drive lasts more than 30 minutes. Then remind yourself how the babe in your future who would be riding with you will feel. If she's happy, you will be too. 'nuff said!
Old 12-16-2008, 01:10 AM
Vietnam Vette
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Oh, this ought to be good!
Seriously though, there are many Forum members who have owned, and currently own both automobiles. Be patient, you will get a lot of feedback I am certain.
I have driven Vipers, but have never owned one. They are nice cars for ricky racing, but the Corvette is just as good at that, plus it's a fantastic all-around driver. Just my personal opinion.
Good luck on your choice whatever it is. At least your are looking at two true American sportscars.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:12 AM
Scott's_C6
Racer

Test drive both and which ever makes you smile the most is the right one for you.

For me, it was the:

Old 12-16-2008, 01:31 AM
Vasta
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16

How about this one. Corvette has a better pedigree. Viper may be history soon.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:56 AM
HuskerBullet
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vasta
How about this one. Corvette has a better pedigree. Viper may be history soon.

Ooo, good point.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:16 AM
Scott's_C6
Racer

My dentist recommends his patients to buy Vipers, as it will loosen fillings so he can make more money so he can buy himself a

Old 12-16-2008, 02:21 AM
AU Eagle
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11, '14

In then end...well technically before the end..you are just going to have to test drive the Viper. Though the members here at CF always seem to get great advice.

If you want exclusivity that would go to the Viper hands down.

The Corvette always seemed to be a better ride overall, comfort wise.

Just keep us updated on what you decided and per what has been stated previously, you can't really go wrong as they are both American!

David
Old 12-16-2008, 04:27 AM
lkelliott
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Of the guys I know who drive Vipers, they will all say that they are handfull even going in a straight line. They are very LOUD inside the car and the heat from the engine and exhaust will drive you right out of the car on a long drive. When you put the power down from the V10, you need to have both hands firmly on the steering wheel. If you overpower the throttle on any kind of a turn, get ready for the car to swap ends very quickly. If you ever want to take your new car out to a trackday then you will watch Corvettes blow by you all day long at the track. It takes a very competent driver to be able to handle and control a Viper at high speed. If you want to have the power and be able to control the car a lot easier then buy a Z06. I will tell you that even the Z06 can easily get away from you on a track if you are not careful and experienced. I have blown by Vipers and Z06's on the track simply because most people cannot handle a car that has 500 horsepower and if you can't handle the power then sooner or later you will make a mistake on the track or on the street. The best thing I can say is purchase a Corvette because a Vette is a far more forgiving vehicle and that difference will be better for most drivers who want a high performance sportscar.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:41 AM
V-Dub
Racer

I considered the Viper for a millisecond. However, for the money the Vette was the better buy all the way around. I wanted a car that I could drive when I want to since, after all, I'm paying for it. I saw the Viper as being a "conditions" car. It was great under certain conditions where the Vette has been great under ALL conditions.

But remember, it's your loot in the end...get what you like! You'll be writing that check every month.

V-Dub
Old 12-16-2008, 04:56 AM
Fastfoursix
Intermediate

When in the hunt for a new car, I had the same dillema. I was torn between a 2nd gen Viper or the C6. After test driving both, it was a clear decision. The Viper gets more attention, but is not as well rounded. I could not stand the Viper (Caravan, Ram ) interior. The car rattled and felt like a 94 Lebaron. The vette felt quicker, smoother and refined. The Viper was very difficult to get in and out of. My Girlfriend told me she felt like she was sitting in an old boat.

Its your decision as I am a 26 year old male. I had a Ford Mustang GT vert in HS as well. Good luck. Let us know what route you took.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:59 AM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 774 Likes on 435 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

I had seriously considered an 04 and newer Viper before I settled on my 05 C6, the difference would have been about 10 more grands cost wise.
What I gave up : a convertible Viper would have been more of a head turner since you see more Vettes roaming the streets than you do Vipers. I love the body style of the late model Vipers.
What I gained: The Vette is truly THE TRUE AMERICAN SPORTS CAR, in that it is a nice weekend car, yet can very easily become a daily driver if need be. Cannot say that about the Viper.

For me the choice of a Vette was somewhat biased because of the many Vettes I have owned previously, and the knowledge that most repairs can be done in my garage . The viper repairs costs would have been

My honest opinion : Only you would know what exactly turns you on !
Drive both, I don't think you loose either way !

Last edited by corvettezman; 12-16-2008 at 05:01 AM.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:46 AM
jdavis
Drifting

A generation II Viper (1996-2002) will have similar power (450hp) to a C6 Corvette. The GTS is the preferred model of the Gen II cars and is regarded by many of the Viper faithful as the best design of all Vipers. However, the Gen II like the Gen I was basically a kit car with little to no technology to match the modern design of the C6. These Vipers are not as refined as the 500hp Gen III ('03-'06) or 600hp Gen IV ('08-'09). Neither of which can match the C6 for technology, safety features, or comfort. Vipers are acknowledged as being a "raw", back to basics, and somewhat exclusive for the hard core enthusiast. It has been said that there are 100 ways a Viper can take you out so, if you are faint of heart, be alert, use caution and respect the machine. If you are looking for a street legal track car, the Gen II Viper will fill the bill. I like these cars but don't think that I could live with one. The Vette is so much more refined and comfortable with essentially the same power and handling qualities in a far more modern package. Now, if you are thinking of a Gen IV ('08-'09) that might be a different matter.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:47 AM
gota07
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

I grew up wanting a Vette ever since I saw my first one as a child. I can't say that about the Viper. No other American sports car will ever have the heritage that the Corvette does.

One of the things that enhances the ownership of a Corvette is the National Corvette Museum. You can do a museum delivery which makes getting your Vette a really special event, it's highly recommended. The museum also holds a number of events every year that are fun to attend. You can see more of what they offer at their website:

www.corvettemuseum.com

Don't forget to compare the maintenance and operating costs of both cars to get a broader picture of the total cost of ownership. All the C6 Vettes, except for the new ZR1, don't have a gas guzzler tax levied on them.

Do a test drive in the Viper and let your own opinion way heavily in your decision. Come back and let us know what you decide, even if you do chose the Viper.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:00 AM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,266 Likes on 507 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

I've been behind the wheel of enough Vipers to know I would never own one. It has to be the most uncomfortable car I've ever driven - it rides like a buckboard wagon and is hotter than the hubs of hell. On the plus side, it's very fast and has the best brakes I've ever experienced (well, I haven't driven a ZR1 yet). No way you can drive a Viper every day, or even once in a while for very long.

Buy the Corvette, you'll be much happier. Just my advice.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:31 AM
clydetrb
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny question to ask on a CORVETTE forum

Get notified of new replies

To Help!! Should I buy a C6?? The Dodge Viper is tempting....help me out guys!

Old 12-16-2008, 07:49 AM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

One other thing you should consider. If both these companies go down the tube you will be much more able to get parts and repairs for a Corvette than a Viper.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:32 AM
vettedrummer
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 255 Likes on 74 Posts

I have owned 2 Vettes (C5 and 6), and 4 Vipers including all 3 Generations. Currently have 06 Coupe and new 09 Caddy CTS-V. There are pros and cons to both. First I love both cars. I grew up with Vettes. Been to Bowling Green--even had an XLR and XLR-V from Vette plant. My favorite show was Route 66 etc etc .It is THE American sports car.

1. The Vette certainly has more creature comforts, but I am not sure where all these bone jarring comments come from. That might be true of Gen 1 but less so of 2 and hardly at all of Gen 3. It is set up to more as a race car and Dodge felt it should be that way--no traction control , no automatics (you almost never see a chick driving a Viper)

2. The Viper has a huge gawk factor primarily due to very low production, about 1500-200/yr vs 30,000 plus for Vettes. That is good and bad. I never felt uncomfortable taking the Vette to the store. You cannot let the Viper out of your sight. And if you are 26 there are folks who think you should not have an exotic that stickers at $92K and keying is an issue (I know young guys this has happend to--by their "friends".)

3. IMHO, the Viper is more fun to drive than a C6 although a Z06 is about as much fun. It tests you more. The torque/power is outstanding .

4. Parts may be an issue but there are already a number of large parts suppliers.

5.No flames please, but my Vipers have been more maintenace free than my Vettes and this is primarly becuase they don't have so many whistles and bells. The motors are bullet proof. Most Vipers are garage queens. I drive mine and have over 125,000 miles in seat time in the 4 cars. All I have done is change oil and little else.

In the end, if I were 26 (26 yrs ago) I might start with your first love, the Vette and see how it goes. Down the road , if they are still being made you might want to consider a Viper. Either way, you cannot go wrong.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:34 AM
tmjvett2009
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Default Vett

The bottom line is the Corvette is much more refined and easier to have fun in

Quick Reply: Help!! Should I buy a C6?? The Dodge Viper is tempting....help me out guys!