C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z51 vs F55 Supension

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 07:23 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tfkrato
Do a search and you'll find plenty of information on base, F55, and Z51 options.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:36 PM
hurry88
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
F-55 suspension is the most comfortable ride that you are going to get in a Corvette from factory as it works great on bumpy roads.
The Z-51 comes with tires that don't last long and of course the ride is more bumpier than F-55. Z-51 package comes with all of these extra coolers to take up more room in a already crowded engine bay. Different gearing too in transmission.
Thanks to everyone for the information, I will do a search and get all the details posted previously, I should have done it first, I know but I am in the hunt for a C6 and was anxious for some info.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!
Old 12-23-2008, 01:15 PM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

F55 is best.....end of story.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:22 PM
coolcat
Race Director

Originally Posted by CETA 256
My 09 F55 has the performance rear axle.
My 08 coupe has F55, Performance Axle and NPP (with the fuse pulled). Great combination and the only way to go!
Old 12-23-2008, 03:35 PM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,221 Likes on 411 Posts

I've owned both the Z51 and F55 suspensions.

The Z51 handles great, has more aggressive manual transmission ratios, and stickier tires that wear relatively fast. My F55 has the Z51 sway bars and handles great, has the less aggressive manual transmission ratios, and less sticky tires that don't wear out as quickly.

The Z51 can feel very rough over bad pavement, and has a tendency to skip sideways on these surfaces. The F55 offers much better compliance and tends to stay put on coarse roads.

Both are excellent suspension systems and, depending on your own driving environment and driving style, either would be a fine choice.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:03 PM
99c54me
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Z51 and F55 are options that include more than suspensions. They both have advantages and disadvantages that I won't go into because I haven't F55 experience.

If you are thinking about a manual transmission with the Z51 option then you need to beware of the MZ6 gearing. I don't like it. It is set up for the "autox enthusiast" and IMO, very busy in daily street driving.

After a lot of thought I opted for the base (no Z51 or F55 option). I have made some suspension changes that I really like (sway bars and shocks). Allows me to tune to my liking.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:16 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The F55 suspension is in my opinion the best 'all-around' suspension offered by Corvette...controlled suspensions are the future. More and more high end and performance cars are going to controlled suspensions for good reason...they work exceedingly well in a variety of road conditions.

If you want to read an excellent article about the development of the F55 suspension in the Corvette, PM me your email address and I'll send it to you. It's well worth reading.

Originally Posted by golfbone
Ive had both, 2005 F55 and 2008 Z51. I preferred the Z51 for it's more traditional sports car like handling and feel. With the F55 you really need to change the sway bars and then you still don't have the shorter gear ratios which give the car with Z51 a much quicker and more cat like feel. I really prefer the Z51 set up for a sports car but if it was a daily driver I'd think twice.
I agree beefing-up the sway bars in the F55 equipped C6 is beneficial. As for the difference in gearing...that's debatable. The wider ratio Z51 option gearing was designed for the parking lot autocross enthusiast and in a 1/4 mile drag it is slightly faster. Some feel, however, there are advantages to the close ratio 'base' C6 gearing (same as the Z06). Either way, the difference in gearing isn't huge.

Prior to switching to a coil over suspension, I ran my F55 equipped, modified C6 on road courses (and in some autocross events) on a variety of tires. The F55 suspension is no slouch on the race track...I got very decent performance using the F55 suspension.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:31 PM
99c54me
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
The F55 suspension is in my opinion the best 'all-around' suspension offered by Corvette...controlled suspensions are the future. More and more high end and performance cars are going to controlled suspensions for good reason...they work exceedingly well in a variety of road conditions.

If you want to read an excellent article about the development of the F55 suspension in the Corvette, PM me your email address and I'll send it to you. It's well worth reading.

I agree beefing-up the sway bars in the F55 equipped C6 is beneficial. As for the difference in gearing...that's debatable. The wider ratio Z51 option gearing was designed for the parking lot autocross enthusiast and in a 1/4 mile drag it is slightly faster. Some feel, however, there are advantages to the close ratio 'base' C6 gearing (same as the Z06). Either way, the difference in gearing isn't huge.

Prior to switching to a coil over suspension, I ran my F55 equipped, modified C6 on road courses (and in some autocross events) on a variety of tires. The F55 suspension is no slouch on the race track...I got very decent performance using the F55 suspension.

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on the coil overs. I am considering coil overs. How did they compare to the F55???

I agree that controlled suspensions are probably the best choice. I've never had the opportunity to drive it enough to know.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:01 PM
Fine409
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F55 suspension

Originally Posted by Wayne O

Hey Wayne O. If you get a moment, I would like to read the article on the f55 suspension. Please fwd to me. I'm a wanna be corvette enthusiast trying to learn as much as I can. Thanks.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:24 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by tfkrato
Do a search and you'll find plenty of information on base, F55, and Z51 options.
www.corvetteactioncenter.com
Old 06-23-2014, 09:30 PM
quadblackC6
Instructor

Z51 > F55

why?

active suspension eventually breaks or need service.
another mechanical thing to worry about that cost big $ to fix.

Thats 1 reason I decided against getting a SL55AMG
Old 06-23-2014, 11:42 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by quadblackC6
Z51 > F55

why?

active suspension eventually breaks or need service.
another mechanical thing to worry about that cost big $ to fix.

Thats 1 reason I decided against getting a SL55AMG
2 opposing reasons:
1. F55 shocks work at the same high level throughout their lifetime vs conventional hydraulic shocks that start degrading the day after installation.
2. Chances are pretty strong that you will trade cars before any F55 shock needs replacement.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:03 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
2 opposing reasons:
1. F55 shocks work at the same high level throughout their lifetime vs conventional hydraulic shocks that start degrading the day after installation.
2. Chances are pretty strong that you will trade cars before any F55 shock needs replacement.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:31 PM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by golfbone
Ive had both, 2005 F55 and 2008 Z51. I preferred the Z51 for it's more traditional sports car like handling and feel. With the F55 you really need to change the sway bars and then you still don't have the shorter gear ratios which give the car with Z51 a much quicker and more cat like feel. I really prefer the Z51 set up for a sports car but if it was a daily driver I'd think twice.
I have a 2009 coupe:
F55 with the 2.73 rear and Z51 sways.
Best of all worlds.

Quick Reply: Z51 vs F55 Supension