C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Under front bumper protection

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 03:30 PM
Redvette_22
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Under front bumper protection

What are the options for protecting the underside of the front bumper cover from scraping on curbs and such for the C6?
Old 12-30-2008, 03:47 PM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

If you're talking the bumper cover itself and not the air dam, I don't really know of any 'protection' other than just being extremely careful when pulling up to parking curbs or backing out of driveways. Plan your entrance and exit strategy. This sounds extreme, but is actually necessary if you want to avoid major scraping. Anything you would add such as the auxillary 'wheels' that are sold to kind of take the hit instead of the bumper just make the front effectively lower and have potential for even more damage to radiator supports, etc. There have been previous threads on this subject you may want to reference.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:51 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

If you think your bumper cover is scraping the curb you have a serious issue w/your suspension.It's the plastic air damn thing that's rubbing,hopefully.If not,you need some lower curbs,different roads to drive on or you need to raise that vette back up!
Old 12-30-2008, 10:36 PM
rambo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curb feelers?

rambo
Old 01-03-2009, 11:52 PM
Redvette_22
Safety Car

Originally Posted by trivette
If you're talking the bumper cover itself and not the air dam,
I am not referring to the actual bumper cover, I'm talking about the "bars" under the cover. These are the ones they attach the "wheels" to on the C5, is that better?
Old 01-04-2009, 12:38 AM
ufso
Le Mans Master

Received 181 Likes on 132 Posts

Please re-read the above posts! Those are your "RADIATOR" supports!!! Attach "ANYTHING" to them and you will seriously damage your car...your C-6 is not a C-5!!!

Hope that helps!!!
Old 01-04-2009, 12:02 PM
Redvette_22
Safety Car

ufso

PM sent
Old 01-04-2009, 12:09 PM
waldow
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

the bars are definitely radiator supports and will break !! Ben ther and dun it!! As for just scraping that area, a spray can of black gloss lacquer for those non-seeable spots helps us stupid drivers
Old 01-04-2009, 12:12 PM
Vettin08
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I stay away from anything that could hit/scrape the car, curbs, or those concrete things at the front of individual parking spaces. Just leave it a foot short and you won't have to worry about anything.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:24 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't think there is any practical way of truly "protecting" or strengthening the radiator supports. This is one true "weakness" of the car. There are no nearby members that are strong enough to easily attach a rigid and reliable "guard".

I do remember reading a post from a while back from a guy that I think had either rebuilt his broken radiator supports (making them more "heavy-duty"), or perhaps he had built some type of guard, can't remember. Maybe search around.... but it looked like a pretty big job, not a backyard DIY for sure.

But at the end of the day, I don't think you can really add something (without major work) that would allow you to slam the front of the car down on the ground or into a curb and NOT have some level of damage to the delicate stuff up front. The car is simply delicate and needs to be treated as such.

One thing to remember... the C6 is a SHORT car! I forget the exact length, but it's like 175 inches long or so... compared to your average SUV or sedan that might be 190 - 200 inches long. This means you can stay a good foot farther back from a parking curb and still be well within your space compared to most other vehicles. With the C6, there is no need to run right up close to a parking curb.

Or, another technique... if you really want to get the car deep into a parking space, simply BACK it in. The exhaust tips should be high enough to clear most curbs (may wanna check this though as I have not specifically measured recently, but I've personally never hit the exhaust tips on a curb). In general, backing in to a space is a lot more forgiving.

It is common for new C6 owners to pull into a parking space forwards and scape the underside on a curb. Not only have I done it, I've witnessed several others doing it (they were not happy!)... and there are tons of reports here of people having done it. So if you've done it, don't feel bad. It's deceiving and seems to fool the majority of owners.

The trick is to just be sure to stay farther back from curbs than you'd think is necessary. In other words, when pulling in, when you think you have a foot of space left in front, STOP right there and go no further. At that point you're likely closer than you think and close enough.

I scraped the underside of my front bumper ONCE on a curb when parking (put a few light scuff marks on my radiator supports, but no damage fortunately)... then after realizing this issue and also after having raised my suspension by about 3/4", I have not scraped anything at all since.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:27 PM
bimmerborn
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 120 Posts

Staying away from curbs is the best. Do not risk and pull close.
If you hit, most likely bottom of radiator supports hit before the air dam. You feel the car raise a bit. Remember the radiator supports can rust if scratched. I would re-paint them.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:29 PM
0ProTEKtMitch
Former Vendor

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by LagunaBlue14
What are the options for protecting the underside of the front bumper cover from scraping on curbs and such for the C6?

LagunaBlue14,

I think think we have what you are looking for!!!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3985328-introducing-new-protekt-skidplates-for-the-c6-base-model.html

thanks,
Mitch
Old 05-10-2017, 10:56 PM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Some people install the curb alert or a front camera
Old 05-10-2017, 11:21 PM
0ProTEKtMitch
Former Vendor

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by enventr
Some people install the curb alert or a front camera
I agree.

My parts are made more for the stuff that is not always possible to avoid, like driveways or steep parking lot transitions.

Thanks,
Mitch
Old 05-11-2017, 08:08 AM
NashvilleGrandSport
Melting Slicks

Received 715 Likes on 483 Posts

I have a Curb Alert. Works great, and definitely prevents damage. One curb scrape was all it took for me to order one.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:35 AM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

I suggest this:

The following users liked this post:
ProTEKtMitch (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 10:30 AM
drew_c6
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingbunnys
I suggest this:

SWEET! Ordering my anti-scrape kit right now!

Edit: Actually, after looking at all the offerings on Google, I'm not sure that one will prevent dragging bottom in my driveway. I think I'll just go ahead and upsize to the ultra-clearance package for just $0.99 more.

Last edited by drew_c6; 05-11-2017 at 10:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ProTEKtMitch (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 02:56 PM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

When a weld broke on my core support I took it to a local welding shop and had the whole thing re-tig welded at every joint with extra material. The welder did say the core support had very little material used on the original welds. After I got it back and inspected it I have to agree. Have not had a failure at any of the welds since. I use rollers to get up my driveway.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:04 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

Originally Posted by LagunaBlue14
Look into installing a Curb Alert. It's a simple proximity sensor that will beep at you when you are getting to close to a curb. I've used one for a long time and so far no scrapes. (knocking wood)

Tom

Last edited by TCW; 05-11-2017 at 05:11 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Under front bumper protection

Quick Reply: Under front bumper protection