C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is VICS option for Head unit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 12:41 PM
stevestig
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Default VICS option - voice recognition problem related?

In the two options below, can anyone tell me what the difference is in the U3U and U3Z radios? I see VICS listed, but i can't find what that means?

U3U Radio - AM/FM Stereo, SEEK/SCAN, DVD, CD, Clock, ETR, Navigation, Voice Rec, MP3
U3Z Radio - AM/FM Stereo, SEEK/SCAN, DVD, CD, Clock, ETR, Navigation, Voice Rec, MP3, VICS

Thanks!

Last edited by stevestig; 01-01-2009 at 04:33 PM. Reason: thread update
Old 01-01-2009, 02:57 PM
Korvette225
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vics

I noticed that too, so I asked the dealer and all he did was scratch his head.Exactly the same so my guess would be....a $100 more!!
Old 01-01-2009, 03:06 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

The second one has VICS....
Old 01-01-2009, 03:11 PM
CENT Z06
Melting Slicks

It seems to be an option on Japanese vettes:
It stands for: Vehicle Information and
Communication System.
It's their traffic info system.
http://www.bowlinggreenassemblyplant...enetration.htm
Old 01-01-2009, 03:43 PM
redzr1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cyber09
It seems to be an option on Japanese vettes:
It stands for: Vehicle Information and
Communication System.
It's their traffic info system.
http://www.bowlinggreenassemblyplant...enetration.htm
VICS is a requirement for navigation systems in Japan. The overall system is government supported and provides real time traffic feedback into the navigation system.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:28 PM
stevestig
Racer

Thanks guys. I am probably far out on a limb here asking for help, but I purchased a U3Z Radio on ebay to replace the 6 disc bose in my 2008 Onstar equipped car. I took the car to the dealership and had the new Nav unit "registered" to the car so the "Theftlock activated" message does not appear.

Everything works perfectly... except.... the voice recognition.

When i press the voice button, the little microphone appears in the upper lefthand side of the screen. No matter what I say "FM1", "AM", or silence, the system always waits about 5 seconds then says the command is not recognized.

It's as if the microphone is not connected, but i've verified that Onstar is working just fine. I have a version 2.0 and version 3.0 disc and it does not make a difference.

Anyone have thoughts... could this be related to the fact that i got a U3Z radio instead of U3U?

thanks
Old 01-01-2009, 05:02 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by stevestig
Thanks guys. I am probably far out on a limb here asking for help, but I purchased a U3Z Radio on ebay to replace the 6 disc bose in my 2008 Onstar equipped car. I took the car to the dealership and had the new Nav unit "registered" to the car so the "Theftlock activated" message does not appear.

Everything works perfectly... except.... the voice recognition.

When i press the voice button, the little microphone appears in the upper lefthand side of the screen. No matter what I say "FM1", "AM", or silence, the system always waits about 5 seconds then says the command is not recognized.

It's as if the microphone is not connected, but i've verified that Onstar is working just fine. I have a version 2.0 and version 3.0 disc and it does not make a difference.

Anyone have thoughts... could this be related to the fact that i got a U3Z radio instead of U3U?

thanks
Yep, different harness. The domestic version shares the voice recognition microphone with OnStar. The wiring from the microphone goes to the OnStar module under the passenger side rear cubby, then a link comes back up front in the harness to the NAV HU. In the export model, the microphone wiring connects straight from the microphone to the NAV head unit (OnStar isn't available in Japan, the Middle East, or Europe). Since your car didn't originally have NAV, it doesn't have the correct harness wiring to connect the return of the voice recognition microphone signal from the OnStar module in the rear of the car to the NAV head unit. Nor does it have direct wiring from the microphone to the NAV.

On your NAV, the microphone should connect to pins 3 and 5 of connector C5 on the back of the NAV. Pin 3 should have a pink wire and pin 5 should be pink with a black stripe if OnStar equipped, or plain black if not. Since your NAV is Japanese market, it also has connector C3 which is where the VICS connects. Your car doesn't have a plug that goes here. But that's Ok, because we don't transmit VICS in this country. You can leave this blank without anything more than the occasional nag message from the NAV.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:04 PM
Vetaholic
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

It appears the previous responses were correct...the U3Z option is for Japanese cars only. It seems this option was installed on a total of 121, 2008 Vets. See the link below:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...roduction.html

Last edited by Vetaholic; 01-01-2009 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:02 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Nice answer by ShopDog!
Old 01-01-2009, 08:14 PM
ALD_Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The good news is the U3Z nav can find the best sushi restaurants without a problem.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:28 PM
stevestig
Racer

Originally Posted by shopdog
Yep, different harness. Since your car didn't originally have NAV, it doesn't have the correct harness wiring to connect the return of the voice recognition microphone signal from the OnStar module in the rear of the car to the NAV head unit. Nor does it have direct wiring from the microphone to the NAV.

On your NAV, the microphone should connect to pins 3 and 5 of connector C5 on the back of the NAV.
Thank you ShopDog, this is great information.

If i understand correctly, even if I had gotten a U3U NAV radio, because my car didn't have NAV at the factory the wiring would be missing to support for voice recognition via the microphone.

Also, can someone confirm that what i've outlined in red is the C5 connector? I had to grab a picture from the net because my NAV unit is currently installed in the car.

Thanks!

Old 01-01-2009, 09:42 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by stevestig
Thank you ShopDog, this is great information.

If i understand correctly, even if I had gotten a U3U NAV radio, because my car didn't have NAV at the factory the wiring would be missing to support for voice recognition via the microphone.

Also, can someone confirm that what i've outlined in red is the C5 connector? I had to grab a picture from the net because my NAV unit is currently installed in the car.

Thanks!

The gray 24 pin connector is C1. The black 12 pin connector is C2. Your Japanese market radio has two more multipin connectors. C5 is the 8 pin connector, and C3 (the VICS connector) is a 6 pin connector. The radio pictured only has one of those connectors. It appears to be the 8 pin C5. That's the one which should have the microphone connected to pins 3 and 5.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:48 PM
stevestig
Racer

Originally Posted by shopdog
Your Japanese market radio has two more multipin connectors.
Understood... thanks again!
Old 01-04-2009, 12:58 PM
stevestig
Racer

Default Update

I am updating this so there is a record for folks who are thinking about adding the navigation to their Bose equipped cars.

I found that i had NOT properly attached the C5 cable when i installed the NAV unit. The connector was there, with the proper lines connected to it. Once i disassembled the dash (Again ), and connected the C5 cable which is as shopdog describes, everything including the voice commands work correctly.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:00 PM
CENT Z06
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the update. I love happy endings.
Old 07-02-2017, 05:33 PM
Corvette505
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

WHERE did you find the C5 cable????? I have a 2011 and am putting in the nav unit, i see tthat plug (as pictured on the left) but for the life of me i don't see that cable anywhere within my car. PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!
Old 07-02-2017, 08:43 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette505
WHERE did you find the C5 cable????? I have a 2011 and am putting in the nav unit, i see tthat plug (as pictured on the left) but for the life of me i don't see that cable anywhere within my car. PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!
I do not have it either .......

Dave
The following users liked this post:
Corvette505 (07-04-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To What is VICS option for Head unit?

Old 07-06-2018, 12:17 PM
dave.f
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Drudging up on old thread, i have an '07 that came thru with the U3U RPO, somewhere before it got to me the factory Nav deck was removed and disgarded. i am looking to restore to original equipment and want to upgrade to bluetooth and usb support, my car does not have on-star, will the voice commands function, i do have the mic in the a pillar?

Last edited by dave.f; 07-06-2018 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:13 AM
ptankersley
Heel & Toe

I just purchased a 2007 Coupe with US9 option code with the XM radio option and steering wheel controls, this vehicle was also equipped with on-star. This looks like everything is here and an upgrade to Nav should be possible without much hassle. I read the posts above and the Nav unit that is on its way to me apparently is from a 2006 Coupe. Here is my question, All the information that I read tells me that the correct option code for my vehicle would be U3U but the unit I will be receiving has the code U3Z. Will this unit work with my vehicle before I disassemble the dash and install it or do I need to get a unit that is listed for U3U. According to the seller of the Nav unit it is interchangeable.

If this is the case when I have the unit programed to my vehicle should I be using the U3U option code or the U3Z as the seller suggests? Or do I have to get a unit with the U3U coding. Hopefully my message is clear, Any assistance would be appreciated so I can get this project done without any issues. This is my first visit to the forum and I am already impressed by the information that exists here.

Thank you.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:57 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Your head unit will work fine once you "marry " it to your car

There is no need to enter an option code when pairing it to your vehicle , all you are doing is removing the old car that it was installed in "serial number" and then the next car the unit is installed in it will marry upon 1st start , this is part of the theft lock

Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 05-28-2019 at 11:23 AM.

Quick Reply: What is VICS option for Head unit?