C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Love the results from a clay bar treatment..

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 12:39 PM
KWC6
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Love the results from a clay bar treatment..

This is the second time I have done a claybar treatment. First time on the vette. Fantastic results and so easy to do. Its amazing to see the before and after as you move along doing the treatment. The vette is 15 months young, and 18,000 miles, always garaged. If you have not done a claybar "I use Mothers" than you need to do it. I need to do this 2 times a year.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:24 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

We need pictures to show the before and after results
Old 01-11-2009, 01:26 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Old 01-11-2009, 01:27 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Good info. How long did it take to clay bar the entire car? Coupe or convertible? Thx.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:33 PM
KWC6
Drifting

It took about an hour. Again, very easy to do, no hard rubbing. The best way really to see how well it does is by rubbing your finger nails easy going over the areas not done, compared to being done. Unreal...
I am getting ready to wax, then send some pics.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:37 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Wow, that's not bad. I thought it would take considerably longer than that. We await your pics!
Old 01-11-2009, 01:52 PM
Daytona Bob
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 & '12, '14

Originally Posted by HotRedC5
It took about an hour. Again, very easy to do, no hard rubbing. The best way really to see how well it does is by rubbing your finger nails easy going over the areas not done, compared to being done. Unreal...
I am getting ready to wax, then send some pics.
thx great info
Old 01-11-2009, 02:02 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Nice, but if you do it twice every year, eventually you won't have any clear coat left. Remember it is abrasive.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:27 PM
KWC6
Drifting

Originally Posted by cclive
Nice, but if you do it twice every year, eventually you won't have any clear coat left. Remember it is abrasive.
Really? I never heard of that concern.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:31 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine is clay bared once a month. Has not affected the clear coat one bit.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:33 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by keyplyr
Mine is clay bared once a month. Has not affected the clear coat one bit.

and it wont affect the clear coat done properly. mine gets it every 3 months...

depending on where you live, and how much you drive, where you park it, inside or out, etc.... all plays a role on how often.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:27 PM
Joe C5 C2
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 91 Likes on 70 Posts

I have been using the clay bar method on all my cars for the past 10 plus years and it really does work. If you ever have any type of overspray on your paint it is absolutly the best way to get it off the surface. There is no way to clean with rubbing compound or paint cleaner the way this stuff works. One point is to get a premium brand because there are cheaper ones out there that are not as effective.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:34 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfdogs
...depending on where you live, and how much you drive, where you park it, inside or out, etc.... all plays a role on how often.
My vert sits outside 50 yards from the Pacific Ocean 24/7/365, but it is covered with a Noah outdoor cover. I give it the "once over" every day and my detailer comes by almost weekly. Once a month it gets a full detail including a clay bar treatment. The car stays impeccable.

It would be great to have a garage but that's not an option. I tried to rent a garage in the area, but they're all rented out to boat owners and/or very expensive.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:46 PM
fiveodude
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be super careful guys. I tried clay (Mothers brand which is mild) on a very small test spot on my daily and it scratched the clear coat which is visible under very bright lights. This was after cleaning the area several times and using tons of lubricant.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:47 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Old 01-11-2009, 10:09 PM
DOOKEY
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by fiveodude
Be super careful guys. I tried clay (Mothers brand which is mild) on a very small test spot on my daily and it scratched the clear coat which is visible under very bright lights. This was after cleaning the area several times and using tons of lubricant.
what lube?

My local auto detailer outfit has different levels of clay from aggressive to soft. If you have a darker color vehicle you want a soft clay. I use the medium on my MS. I always use a bottle of Meguiars Final inspection as my lube and a ton of microfiber towels to clean up the mess. After the clay bar I wash the vehicle again and then a couple coats of NxT generation.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:39 PM
gmarcucio
Drifting

Received 603 Likes on 319 Posts

The clay bar treatment works awesome on the glass too!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Love the results from a clay bar treatment..

Old 01-11-2009, 10:44 PM
GizmoZ
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive

"Z-18 ClayBar™ is non-abrasive and works like no cleaner, compound or chemical can. When used as directed, it is safe for use on all paint finishes. "

Clay will not remove your clearcoat. On the contrary, it will prolong the life of your paint by removing embedded contaminants that could lead to clearcoat failure.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:53 PM
fiveodude
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DOOKEY
what lube?

My local auto detailer outfit has different levels of clay from aggressive to soft. If you have a darker color vehicle you want a soft clay. I use the medium on my MS. I always use a bottle of Meguiars Final inspection as my lube and a ton of microfiber towels to clean up the mess. After the clay bar I wash the vehicle again and then a couple coats of NxT generation.
The stuff that comes with the mothers kit like the thread author is using. I would love to see the results under high powered lighting at different angles etc...
Old 01-11-2009, 10:58 PM
DOOKEY
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by fiveodude
The stuff that comes with the mothers kit like the thread author is using. I would love to see the results under high powered lighting at different angles etc...
I'm going to clay my entire car and I have some very specific lighting in my garage placed specifically for seeing minimal scratches that I buff out with my polisher. I can clay half my hood and take some pictures but it will be tough to tell on my machine silver. You can see the light in my avatar. The biggest difference is always in feel. I run my fingers across paint to tell the difference. You can actually feel the grit left on your paint. After the clay it is smooth.

I've used the mothers yellow clay with the provided lube. I've gone over it again with my clay and meguiars final inspection and it picks up more. So I quit using it. I rub my clay in straight lines versus a circle. Cause straight lines are easier to buff out than swirls.

Quick Reply: Love the results from a clay bar treatment..