C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just got my vette stripes...whey over my head

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 05:44 AM
carmos
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just got my vette stripes...whey over my head

boy do i feel like an idiot!.i just got my stripes from vette stripes and then i decided to read the instructions...yea how about hell no.i thought it would be a peal stick type thing.hell no, why more involved.and then you have to leave masking tape on for 24 hours before you can Finnish the install of the ones that extend over the front bumper.which means i cant even take it to someone to do for me.i guess i should look before i cross the street... and no i am not talking bad about vette stripes,i am just venting about my dumb move and not knowing what i was getting into.thanks for listening guys.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:51 AM
Not Paid 4
Instructor

Location: You must be young and stupid before you become old and wise... Canton Georgia

Bummer
Old 01-23-2009, 05:53 AM
carmos
Racer

Originally Posted by Not Paid 4
Bummer

thanks i feel better
Old 01-23-2009, 08:27 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

If the installation is too difficult for you to complete yourself....Why don't you bring it to a shop and leave it there for a couple of days so that they can do it for you?

I am not a big fan of stripes...but, if you like them it seems like it should not be too difficult to get it done???

Best of luck with it.

Charley
Old 01-23-2009, 08:30 AM
mongooseC6
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Some things are never as easy as they seem. I feel your frustration. Good luck.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:30 AM
larvette
Drifting

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
If the installation is too difficult for you to complete yourself....Why don't you bring it to a shop and leave it there for a couple of days so that they can do it for you?

I am not a big fan of stripes...but, if you like them it seems like it should not be too difficult to get it done???

Best of luck with it.

Charley
Old 01-23-2009, 08:34 AM
carmos
Racer

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt

Best of luck with it.

Charley

Hi Charley,yea i have thought of that ,but the idea of the stripes for me was low cost mod.they cost 100.00 for the stripes i have not checked but i am pretty sure around here if the vette has to stay over night it will be a couple of hundred dollars.i could have had my paint and body guy paint them on for that kind off money.so thats my delima.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:55 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

I can understand your situation, since it would cost you a couple hundred more to have a body shop do it, why not take your time and try it yourself. You may surprise yourself or have a friend help you out. Give the Vendor a call and ask for some installation advice or show the directions to the paint shop and aks them for some advice. Good Luck.

Last edited by dvilin; 01-23-2009 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:02 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Good luck and give it a go
Old 01-23-2009, 09:06 AM
gota07
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

A body shop is going to charge big bucks just to cover their time. Try finding a good tint shop. The stripes are not much different to install than window tint and they normally have lower prices.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:13 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,578 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by gota07
A body shop is going to charge big bucks just to cover their time. Try finding a good tint shop. The stripes are not much different to install than window tint and they normally have lower prices.
Another option is to talk to installers of clear bra. Often they come to the home to do the job and stripes are the same basic procedure.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:19 AM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by gota07
Old 01-23-2009, 09:27 AM
rpoz06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I did mine myself but I have done a lot of working w/ vinyl on other cars. I agree - the two best installers at a reasonable price are:

Window tint shops
Clear bra installers
Old 01-23-2009, 09:48 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by carmos
boy do i feel like an idiot!.i just got my stripes from vette stripes and then i decided to read the instructions...yea how about hell no..
Sorry,but that struck me as funny...

I was in your situations a few years back and felt overwhelmed also....but decided to try it and it turned out great.

The two most important factors are a)have a helper and b) take your time.....I promise it's not as daunting as the instructions make it out to be or I would have ended up with a ball of wadded up vinyl on my garage floor.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:50 AM
carmos
Racer

Originally Posted by rpoz06
I did mine myself but I have done a lot of working w/ vinyl on other cars. I agree - the two best installers at a reasonable price are:

Window tint shops
Clear bra installers
hi rpoz06,maybe i can take drive over to your neck of the woods and you can help me out..thsat a very sweet car and great work you have done to it
Old 01-23-2009, 09:51 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

I see a visit to the "For Sale" section in your future
Been there before, yeah I can do that..... NOT...
Sometimes if you read the instructions several times, it sinks in and starts to make more sense and then you see it's not really as hard as you first thought. But the KEY is, us MEN don't do instructions...
David
Old 01-23-2009, 09:56 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I understand exactly what OP is saying and some of the suggestions are excellent. Recall that the guy over in Europe did his car's stripes (with lotsa pics of the install) with his son helping. I would assume it helps to have that extra set of hands lining up the stripes and looking at it from a different angle.

And as good as the clear bra and other guys are, most dealerships have many different "vendors" come around and do work at the dealership from their trucks, i.e., dents, touchup, window tint AND stripes! I know because I've got the card from a guy who does it and he charges half if it's not at a dealership.

My suggestion is ask some local dealers who they use to come around and do stripes. Call these vendors and say you've got the stripes, how much will they charge to install it? I mean, after all, these are the ones who know how to do it best, right?

Get notified of new replies

To just got my vette stripes...whey over my head

Old 01-23-2009, 10:29 AM
Texas_Venom
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carmos
hi rpoz06,maybe i can take drive over to your neck of the woods and you can help me out..thsat a very sweet car and great work you have done to it
I will be down in your area this weekend doing clear bra installations. I could possibly stop by on Saturday and help you out. PM me if you are interested and send me the link to where you bought the tripes from. I have a vinyl business as well and do this all the time... I am just curious as to what type of vinyl they sold you.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:32 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Now that's a good one right there with TVenom!
Old 01-23-2009, 10:50 AM
TX C6
Racer

Originally Posted by Texas_Venom
I will be down in your area this weekend doing clear bra installations. I could possibly stop by on Saturday and help you out. PM me if you are interested and send me the link to where you bought the tripes from. I have a vinyl business as well and do this all the time... I am just curious as to what type of vinyl they sold you.
That right there is the Forum at work! Nicely done...

Quick Reply: just got my vette stripes...whey over my head