C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Take Care of Your Clutch--Preventing or Curing Pedal Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 01:08 AM
Shawn S
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I had the pleasure of parking next to “Ranger” at last year’s 2008 Ocean City MD Corvette Boardwalk run.
I was quite embarrassed when he noticed that the clutch fluid in my 14,000 mile 2006 was as black as a pint of Guinness Extra Stout.
Like most owners, I never even knew this was something that needed to be done.
But Corvette compassion prevailed as he proceeded to show me how to change out the fluid using his “mobile syringe kit” which he keeps in the back of his car.
He’ll be happy to know that I’ve gotten into the habit of changing it regularly now.

Thanks again,
Shawn S
Old 04-08-2009, 08:43 AM
lander
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by ro2516
Thanks for the reply! I did some more research and found, according to a MSN "Green" site, brake fluid is alcohol-based and as such, will evaporate. They suggest pouring it into cat litter and setting it outside away from any ignition sources. It will evaporate away. EZ-PZ!!!

http://lifestyle.msn.com/your-life/l...mentid=8416309
I'd hate to have Fluffy go up in smoke!
Old 04-08-2009, 10:03 AM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn S
I had the pleasure of parking next to “Ranger” at last year’s 2008 Ocean City MD Corvette Boardwalk run.
I was quite embarrassed when he noticed that the clutch fluid in my 14,000 mile 2006 was as black as a pint of Guinness Extra Stout.
Like most owners, I never even knew this was something that needed to be done.
But Corvette compassion prevailed as he proceeded to show me how to change out the fluid using his “mobile syringe kit” which he keeps in the back of his car.
He’ll be happy to know that I’ve gotten into the habit of changing it regularly now.

Thanks again,
Shawn S
Man, he doesn't miss anything!
Old 04-08-2009, 12:51 PM
1953 C6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I performed my second oil change and my first "Ranger" clutch fluid exchange at 6700 miles last weekend. Let me tell you the clutch fluid was nasty! It took 11 times to get the fluid "clear and bright" as we say in the Navy. Well worth the time, especially since I had my 10 year old doing the 30 clutch pushes each time. He's still complaining about his leg hurting...
Old 04-08-2009, 05:33 PM
thisismyusername
Racer

I wasn't sure if I should post this question as a new thread, so here goes. My owners manual says to use Super DOT-4 fluid for the clutch, which I have been using. When I was at the dealership today and asked to purchase a couple of bottles, they said that GM now uses a hydraulic DOT-3 (with additives) for the clutch? Two questions: 1) Is this true? 2) If I already have Super DOT-4 and were to use this hydraulic DOT-3, should the clutch system be bled first or can the two be mixed? I'm thinking stick with the DOT-4. Thanks.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:10 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by thisismyusername
I wasn't sure if I should post this question as a new thread, so here goes. My owners manual says to use Super DOT-4 fluid for the clutch, which I have been using. When I was at the dealership today and asked to purchase a couple of bottles, they said that GM now uses a hydraulic DOT-3 (with additives) for the clutch? Two questions: 1) Is this true? 2) If I already have Super DOT-4 and were to use this hydraulic DOT-3, should the clutch system be bled first or can the two be mixed? I'm thinking stick with the DOT-4. Thanks.
U r right...stick with the DOT4
Old 04-08-2009, 07:23 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by jschindler
Mike, I did mine this morning. I noticed it got pretty clear after about three cycles of changing out fluid. But I kept going, except that the next few times I pumped the clutch much slower - more like the speed you would pump it when you are shifting gears in a casual drive. I got a lot more dirty crud coming up that way.

I wound up using a little over one bottle. I've driven it a little since then, but have not checked it. I have no doubt that in the next couple of days I'll need to do another series of cleaning.

All this has me thinking - do all cars with hydraulic clutches do this, or is there something about the design of the Corvettes that is unique?
Jim, I have always heard that a slow pumping motion is more effective. Glad everything worked out
Old 04-08-2009, 08:16 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Originally Posted by need-for-speed
Jim, I have always heard that a slow pumping motion is more effective. Glad everything worked out
BTW Mike, I've got a couple of outings on mine (about 40 miles) since the swap and the clutch fluid's merky again. Already time for anther swap I guess but the brake fluid looks ok for now.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:53 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by GotVett?
BTW Mike, I've got a couple of outings on mine (about 40 miles) since the swap and the clutch fluid's merky again. Already time for anther swap I guess but the brake fluid looks ok for now.
Cool Phil. The brake fluid should stay much cleaner. OTOH - with the clutch fluid, since I've done it the second time -I'm going to just replace what's in the reservoir as needed without the additional pumping. I'll just replace, drive a few times, and replace again as needed.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:30 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by thisismyusername
Parts guy at that dealership is clueless. The spec for all Corvettes with a clutch has been upgraded in the GM system to DOT4. All of them. So if you got stuck with legacy DOT3, suggest returning it.

The GM Super DOT4 is a very good fluid. Just hard to find and expensive. Prestone DOT4 and a list of other alternative is in post#1 on the thread.

Ranger
Old 04-08-2009, 11:13 PM
frankmp
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
The GM Super DOT4 is a very good fluid. Prestone DOT4 and a list of other alternative is in post#1 on the thread.

Ranger
So is there any real difference between DOT 4 and SUPER DOT4? Actually picked up a 1L bottle of Prestone DOT4 at a jobber shop (on sale) and when I read the bottle it said "brake fluid". Then went to GM dealer and looked at DOT4 bottle 1/4 the size (for same price) it said brake/clutch fluid...so I'm going with the Prestone based on what's sounds like multiple changes I'll need.........

Frank
Old 04-08-2009, 11:21 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Originally Posted by need-for-speed
Cool Phil. The brake fluid should stay much cleaner. OTOH - with the clutch fluid, since I've done it the second time -I'm going to just replace what's in the reservoir as needed without the additional pumping. I'll just replace, drive a few times, and replace again as needed.
Sounds good to me too.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:33 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by frankmp
So is there any real difference between DOT 4 and SUPER DOT4? Actually picked up a 1L bottle of Prestone DOT4 at a jobber shop (on sale) and when I read the bottle it said "brake fluid". Then went to GM dealer and looked at DOT4 bottle 1/4 the size (for same price) it said brake/clutch fluid...so I'm going with the Prestone based on what's sounds like multiple changes I'll need.........

Frank
Hi Frank.

The owner's manual calls for GM-brand Super DOT4 "or equivalent DOT4 fluid."

This GM-brand fluid is actually rebranded Pentosin Super DOT4 made in Germany, where it's sold as brake fluid.

GM's practice of labeling its Super DOT4 can as "brake and clutch fluid" is intended to clarify that the same fluid is used in both hydraulic systems.

Ranger

Last edited by Ranger; 04-09-2009 at 09:03 AM.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:01 AM
StingrayJames
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Ranger,

I changed the clutch fluid in my '08 Z06 last night. The car only has 980miles on it but I was surprised at how dark the fluid had gotten in that short amount of miles. I bought the NAPA brand DOT 4 brake fluid in the 32 oz. bottle for $9.80 to do the initial flush along with all the other supplies recommended in your tutorial. I had to perform six flushes with the NAPA brand before I was satisfied with the look of the clutch fluid. I then performed three more flushes with the GM Super DOT 4 fluid to be sure it was full of the GM Fluid.

My quest to purchase the GM Super DOT 4 fluid was less than pleasurable at first. The closest Chevrolet dealer to where I live had no clue on what I wanted when I asked for the GM Super DOT 4 fluid. He couldn't find it in their "System". I went back a second time with the GM part number and he still said that that is not what the car calls for. So I left disgusted and went home and got on the Partsvoice locator system at www.Partsvoice.com and put in the GM part number and came up with several GM dealers that had it in stock. I called the one that was in my state and ordered 4 bottles and had it shipped to me via UPS and in my hands in one day. I performed the flush last night and all is well.

It amazes me that the larger GM dealers here in Omaha, NE that sell a lot of Corvettes do not stock the correct fluids that they require for maintenance.

Thanks for the great info on the fluid change out.

Regards,

James West
Old 04-09-2009, 09:12 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by StingrayJames
...My quest to purchase the GM Super DOT 4 fluid was less than pleasurable at first. The closest Chevrolet dealer to where I live had no clue on what I wanted when I asked for the GM Super DOT 4 fluid. He couldn't find it in their "System". I went back a second time with the GM part number and he still said that that is not what the car calls for. So I left disgusted and went home and got on the Partsvoice locator system at www.Partsvoice.com and put in the GM part number and came up with several GM dealers that had it in stock. I called the one that was in my state and ordered 4 bottles and had it shipped to me via UPS and in my hands in one day. I performed the flush last night and all is well.

It amazes me that the larger GM dealers here in Omaha, NE that sell a lot of Corvettes do not stock the correct fluids that they require for maintenance....
Hi James.

Your story on the difficulty of finding the GM-brand Super DOT4 parallels my experience in 2006. That led me to experiment with an alternative that's readily available in Walmart and most automotive stores, Prestone DOT4. It works well and I found no detectable performance difference compared to the GM-brand, which cost five-times more.

Ranger

Last edited by Ranger; 04-09-2009 at 02:43 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:10 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

Hi James.

Your story on the difficulty of finding the GM-brand Super DOT4 parallels my experience in 2006. That lead me to experiment with an alternative that's readily available in Walmart and most automotive stores, Prestone DOT4. It works well and I found no detectable performance difference compared to the GM-brand, which cost five-times more.

Ranger
Exactly....there's just no reason to go running around like crazy for the GM stuff....its all DOT 4...and we're not running at Indy...

And all of GM's fluids are rebranded..they are not an oil refiner or a chemical company.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:59 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 917 Likes on 610 Posts

Hi Frank.

The owner's manual calls for GM-brand Super DOT4 "or equivalent DOT4 fluid."

This GM-brand fluid is actually rebranded Pentosin Super DOT4 made in Germany, where it's sold as brake fluid.

GM's practice of labeling its Super DOT4 can as "brake and clutch fluid" is intended to clarify that the same fluid is used in both hydraulic systems.

Ranger
Ranger, correct me if I am wrong but...

A Super DOT 4 is actually a DOT 5.1 (which is DOT 4 fluid that meets DOT 5 standards). They say Super DOT 4 because they don't want you to confuse it with DOT 5 which is made up of a different chemical fluid, hence the reason for not specifying it as DOT 5.1 (which is what Super DOT 4 actually is).

Get notified of new replies

To Take Care of Your Clutch--Preventing or Curing Pedal Issues

Old 04-09-2009, 05:29 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TheTrot

A Super DOT 4 is actually a DOT 5.1 (which is DOT 4 fluid that meets DOT 5 standards). They say Super DOT 4 because they don't want you to confuse it with DOT 5 which is made up of a different chemical fluid, hence the reason for not specifying it as DOT 5.1 (which is what Super DOT 4 actually is).
Stoptech has a paper that lays out the definition of "super DOT4" in the manner you describe. It goes on to say that super DOT4s are generally compatible with DOT3 and DOT4 fluids.

Thanks for making that point.

Ranger
Old 04-10-2009, 05:54 PM
pTr73
Melting Slicks

Good info on different DOT fluids...
Old 04-10-2009, 05:55 PM
pTr73
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TheTrot

So does that mean we can use DOT-5?

Quick Reply: Take Care of Your Clutch--Preventing or Curing Pedal Issues