C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can Onstar be disconnected or removed completely?

Old 02-25-2009, 02:40 PM
ron-z51
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can Onstar be disconnected or removed completely?

Two of my four vechiles have Onstar (Vette being one) I don't subscribe. This may sounds stupid but I always feel like big brother is watching. Can it be removed entirely? if not can it be disabled? perhaps a remove a fuse or something? I hate the whole concept of Onstar. It creaps me out that my doors can be unlocked with a phone call and my location pin pointed with in one meter.

Last edited by ron-z51; 02-25-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:50 PM
J18369
Racer

St. Jude Donor '09, '14

Does On Star lie dormant and passively active even when not subscribed to the service? I'm guessing if it was a complete and utter emergency you could still use it with a small fee. Not quite sure how it works as I've never had another vehicle with the On Star system.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:56 PM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by J18369
Does On Star lie dormant and passively active even when not subscribed to the service? I'm guessing if it was a complete and utter emergency you could still use it with a small fee. Not quite sure how it works as I've never had another vehicle with the On Star system.
Sounds about right
Old 02-25-2009, 02:59 PM
CroOrange
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ron-z51
Two of my four vechiles have Onstar (Vette being one) I don't subscribe. This may sounds stupid but I always feel like big brother is watching. Can it be removed entirely? if not can it be disabled? perhaps a remove a fuse or something? I hate the whole concept of Onstar. It creaps me out that my doors can be unlocked with a phone call and my location pin pointed with in one meter.
Yes, it can be done. Not sure if the answer is within the forum guidelines though.

a++ Cedric
Old 02-25-2009, 03:03 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 160 Likes on 121 Posts

Lots of posts on disabling the unit on '08 and prior, but '09 is different and I'm stay waiting to find out how to do it.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:10 PM
canandy2
Burning Brakes

If you wanted to cut the wires that are right behind the mirror. The unit is to the right of the wires. Cut them and be done with it, thats if you want to. I thought about it too but, it came in handy before.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:16 PM
J18369
Racer

St. Jude Donor '09, '14

Got to be careful with that On Star stuff... they can listen in at any time.

I recall reading an article a few years back.. a drug dealer was showing off his escalade and mentioned some of the cocaine he had hidden in the car. Let's just say On Star had a nice hand in getting him busted. I think he might have accidentally been playing with his On Star buttons.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:17 PM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by ron-z51
You do realize that you can be tracked by your cell phone as well, right? Also, don't forget EZ Pass. Oh, and by the way, credit cards now have chips in them that register what store you walked into regardless if you bought anything with the card or not.

Last edited by Dave@Ciocca; 02-25-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:23 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by J18369
Got to be careful with that On Star stuff... they can listen in at any time.

I recall reading an article a few years back.. a drug dealer was showing off his escalade and mentioned some of the cocaine he had hidden in the car. Let's just say On Star had a nice hand in getting him busted. I think he might have accidentally been playing with his On Star buttons.
dern...there goes s*x in the vette!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-25-2009, 03:27 PM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfdogs
dern...there goes s*x in the vette!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just keep her feet from hitting the blue button and you should be fine!
Old 02-25-2009, 03:35 PM
6speedC6
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow! can you spell paranoia!
Old 02-25-2009, 03:40 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,139 Posts

I believe that even if you don't pay for the service, it will still call 911 if your air bags deploy.

To disable any year, just remove the antenna from the windshield. Sit in the passenger seat and pull the box toward you some to loosen it up and then push pretty hard to the right and it will snap off. Then disconnect the two wires at the quick disconnectors and stuff the wires back behind the upper molding. Disabled!
Old 02-25-2009, 03:46 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

The Onstar module cannot be removed. The Onstar logic is contained in a module called the VCIM. The VCIM is the Vehicle Communications Interface Module. It resides (from a logic standpoint) right smack in the middle of the GMLan and the Class 2 serial interface in the car. If you remove the VCIM the car will not start, run or allow the doors to open at a minimum nor will your radio, chimes and error messages work as I recall (could be wrong). You would have to selectively disable the Onstar portion. This was possible with the 2005 - 2008 cars and the instructions are available scattered about the forum. Ths was possible mainly because Onstar was on option and not every car utilized it. The VCIM completely changed for 2009. The model strategy changed for 2009 in so much as Onstar is now on every model and every car. I don't know what those changes had on the ability to selectively disable it going forward.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:47 PM
mvcrash
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com
Just keep her feet from hitting the blue button and you should be fine!
Just keep the roof open!!!
Old 02-25-2009, 03:53 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Originally Posted by canandy2
If you wanted to cut the wires that are right behind the mirror. The unit is to the right of the wires. Cut them and be done with it, thats if you want to. I thought about it too but, it came in handy before.
Don't do that, that's not the onstar unit. In '08 and prior, the box is located in the rear right compartment (below). In '09 it's under the forward carpet onpass side. Other components are connected to the Onstar box and in order for other parts of the car to function properly only certain wires are unplugged to disable the Onstar unit. Cutting the wires on the windshield does nothing and possibly can screw up something else
Old 02-25-2009, 03:57 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com
You do realize that you can be tracked by your cell phone as well, right? Also, don't forget EZ Pass. Oh, and by the way, credit cards now have chips in them that register what store you walked into regardless if you bought anything with the card or not.
Cell phone can only track to the nearest cell tower, not to your car location
Old 02-25-2009, 03:58 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by canandy2
The unit on the windshield is the Onstar antenna. It is not the Onstar system nor is it as simple as cutting the wires.

Get notified of new replies

To Can Onstar be disconnected or removed completely?

Old 02-25-2009, 04:00 PM
nearwater
Racer

Originally Posted by talon90
The Onstar module cannot be removed. The Onstar logic is contained in a module called the VCIM. The VCIM is the Vehicle Communications Interface Module. It resides (from a logic standpoint) right smack in the middle of the GMLan and the Class 2 serial interface in the car. If you remove the VCIM the car will not start, run or allow the doors to open at a minimum nor will your radio, chimes and error messages work as I recall (could be wrong). You would have to selectively disable the Onstar portion. This was possible with the 2005 - 2008 cars and the instructions are available scattered about the forum. Ths was possible mainly because Onstar was on option and not every car utilized it. The VCIM completely changed for 2009. The model strategy changed for 2009 in so much as Onstar is now on every model and every car. I don't know what those changes had on the ability to selectively disable it going forward.
Looks like you know what you're talking about.
But let me chime in here.
I can't be too specific, but I work on OnStar modules for a living.
IF you want to disable the OnStar module, just remove the fuse. That's it. The VCP(that's how we call it) won't boot up if you don't supply power thru the J1 connector. Simple as that.
Even if you remove the antenna and you have strong enough CDMA signals, it'll still work.
If you have further questions regarding OnStar modules, PM me and I can provide you with some additional info as far as it isn't something confidential.

Dan
Old 02-25-2009, 04:01 PM
Road Rage
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why bother, Obama's just going to put one back in there anyway.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:02 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by GCD1962
Cell phone can only track to the nearest cell tower, not to your car location
Even with cell only if there are multiple cell towers around it can triangulate your position relative to those towers and frankly get pretty damn close to your car location. Most every modern cell phone today also contains a GPS receiver. The GPS in my phone can show me on a map where my car is or where I am within a few meters.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can Onstar be disconnected or removed completely?