C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keys locked in my Z06 with a dead battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 08:32 PM
Corellian Vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RICH 28
Hard to believe Chevy uses only three different keys. Don't leave any valuables inside. Too many people have the key.
Your telling me that GM has only 3 keys for the C6?
Old 03-01-2009, 08:41 PM
ntrimm
Racer

Originally Posted by GN1270
Ok here is my story. Sad but true. I wanted to take the Vette out for a spin to stretch its legs today and I found out the wife had not been starting it periodically when I asked her to. I know I should have bought a trickle battery and I will. SHe did do it once and left the keys in the car for the next time. So I go out and notice the battery is dead. No biggie, I will get the spare set. Well I go to use it and find out that the key the dealer gave me is not the right key for my Z06, it is for a yellow vert. The outside envelope said my car, but the tag on the key said otherwise. Now I cannot get into my car to pop the hood to charge the battery and I have no keys to manually open the door. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
If the dealer gave you a wrong key, go back to dealer and get the correct key. If they do not have it, demand they make you a new fob from the VIN.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:49 PM
RICH 28
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60
And most Corvette owners are gonna pilfer your - or my - Vette? I think you need serious therapy.

Besides, when all too many C6 owners don't even know there's a key slot back there, how many "distrustful" C5 owners are going to know?
I was being facetious.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:59 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,069 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

The next time we are at a corvette meet we should all try our key on each others car to see if we get a match.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:23 PM
curvesman
Safety Car

Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified 2020

Originally Posted by george vee
The next time we are at a corvette meet we should all try our key on each others car to see if we get a match.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:02 PM
GN1270
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cclive
I'll bet that they just gave you the correct key for the car
I thought that too so I charged the car and the fob does not work.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:05 PM
GN1270
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ntrimm
If the dealer gave you a wrong key, go back to dealer and get the correct key. If they do not have it, demand they make you a new fob from the VIN.

I bought the car from a forum dealer far away. They told me they were sorry and to bring the wrong fob to my nearest dealer and they would reprogram it and they would obviously cover any costs involved.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:54 PM
GotChrist?
Burning Brakes

Remove one of the tail lamps to get to the bulb. Remove the bulb from the socket. Place two pieces of safety wire or two straightened paper clips in you battery charger's alligator clips; one for each clip being careful not to touch them together. Place one wire into one of the pins in the bult socket, and place the other in one of the others. Try your trunk button above the license plate. If that doesn't work, move teh pins around. You only have 3 options. The trunk will be powered and you can get in to your car.

John
Old 03-01-2009, 11:18 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by GN1270
I just called my buddy who repos cars. He told me to take the key from the Yellow Vert and try to open the hatch of my Z06 with it. Sure enough the damn thing fit and it popped right open. He told me he thinks there are only 3 key combos on Vette hatches and I had a 33% chance and won. Of course its snowing here now so the damn thing probably wont leave my garage for another month,
Call me crazy...if I had another key...I would...just for the fun of it...try it and see if it works. And once you get the battery charged, you might want to try that 2nd FOB and see if it works, mislabeled or not.

And this 3 key combos for all corvettes has GREAT potential for becoming THE urban legend of C6's.

Jimmy

Last edited by jimmyb; 03-01-2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:52 PM
ToRedVettes
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RICH 28
Hard to believe Chevy uses only three different keys. Don't leave any valuables inside. Too many people have the key.
Shhhhh! Don't let that get out.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:44 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

I'm confused now, I thought we were talking about metal keys, not fobs. You can easily program any fob to work with your car, just follow the instructions in the owners manual...no need to go near a dealer, you can do it yourself in your garage in 30 minutes.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:08 PM
001CamaroSS
Intermediate

Mine is just as bad. If anyone can give me a hand, I literally just locked my key and fob in the trunk of my car, apparently too far away to be able to unlock. I'm angry lol ugh. Any suggestions? Sadly I dropped them back there putting ice in my car, so now I also have ice melting onto my carpet!
Old 07-20-2010, 10:54 PM
Full Metal Jacket
Pro

whats this key thing everyone talks about? I only got a FOB when I got my car??

And if the battery goes dead does your car automatically lock itself or is it that the door handles wont open?
Old 07-20-2010, 10:58 PM
001CamaroSS
Intermediate

Maybe both, your biggest problem would be it doesn't matter much since your door handles not working are basically your car being locked. However if your trunk isn't locked you can pull the pin from the inside of it. In my case...I cannot AND the ice is still melting all over it. I hate my life...

Quick Reply: Keys locked in my Z06 with a dead battery