C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-20-2015, 06:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

06 C6 Vert won't start after battery change

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 05:51 PM
Oldngray
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 06 C6 Vert won't start after battery change

Is there a "reset" or something that needs to be done so my 06 will start?
Here's what happened: Drove the car on Sunday, no problems. Cleaned it up, so I probably pushed a button or something, killed the battery.
Put my charger on it, set at 2 amps, for 24 hours. When I reconnected it,
I have strong lights, strong horn, locks all work. When I get in, and push the green start button, nothing happens...it switches to accessory mode.
When I get out, I get two beeps (like the fob warning), running lights come on, and the ACC lights are on. Right now, the battery is unhooked again until I figure this out .... Help! Any ideas or instructions greatly appreciated. Mike Greener Thomasville, GA
Old 03-10-2009, 06:37 PM
patton
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

batt. voltage checked by a DVOM ?
Old 03-10-2009, 07:31 PM
spin-doktor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you charge it or did you change it ?

Press the unlock button on your FOB twice before you try to start the car again.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:19 PM
Oldngray
Cruising

Charged it not replaced it. Did not check with a voltmeter. Pushing the unlock button twice did not have an effect. Thanks, Mike G.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:54 PM
LarryMJones
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Default Brakes

I don't want to insult you, but my wife had the same thing happen. She was not pushing the brake pedal while trying to start.
Just a possibility.
Also try putting the fob in the spot inside the glove compartment in case it has a problem.
LJ
The following users liked this post:
reddawg52 (07-10-2019)
Old 03-11-2009, 06:18 AM
Oldngray
Cruising

No insult, I do dumb stuff all the time .... but, I am pushing the brake pedal. Also tried both fobs ... still no luck. Thanks, Mike
Old 03-11-2009, 07:03 AM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

Try taking off the positive lead and then puting it back on the battery.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:55 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Rochester
Try taking off the positive lead and then puting it back on the battery.
NEGATIVE terminal, not Positive.

I'd be willing to bet that the battery isn't charged enough to start the car. Check the voltage with a multi-meter, if it isn't 12.6V the battery isn't fully charged.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:08 AM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 160 Likes on 121 Posts

If the battery was dead 2 amps @24 hours probably only charged it enough to turn on lights, operate locks, etc. starters are a huge drain and need a strong charge to spin. Either charge it on a regular charger (not a tender or trickle) and then try it.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:48 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

I agree, but you might also want to disconnect the negative for a few minutes and 'reboot' the car
Old 03-11-2009, 11:59 AM
azvetters
Pro

Default reset~reboot

I had this happen when batter died?????????
had to call onstar thy will walk you throu the Reset~
Reboot?????????????????????????
Old 03-11-2009, 02:12 PM
Oldngray
Cruising

Thanks again for all the help. I checked with the local Corvette expert, who consulted his manuals and theorized that the car was not communicating with the fobs anymore. I tried the fob re-program procedure described the the owner's manual (key in the trunk key hole, open the trunk, tun the key 5 times, stick the fob into the glove box slot, etc.). No luck ... basically, nothing happened. So, I called the Vette guru at the closest Chevy dealership, 40 miles away ... he said the codes wer "screwed up" and needed to be cleared out.

I've done a lot of research today, and the consensus is the Delco batteries these cars come with are junk ... even the Vette guru said so.
It's possible my charge either did not take, or the battery is not able to take a full charge .... but if I take it out of the car I'm going to replace it for sure. Now, as to finding the correct battery ... what's everyone's recommendation on that? Thanks, Mike G. Thomasville, GA
Old 03-11-2009, 02:21 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Optima, Odyssey, Sears....all are popular.

Here is a vendor's link with a lot of info on Optima:

http://www.bugmanweb.com/c6/c6index.html

Click on Battery-Optima in the yellow left margin.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:31 PM
chet b
Drifting

Had the same thing happen on my 07. Ended up replacing the battery. The car started up just fine after the battery replacement. I installed an optima yellow top. I believe the the 2006 uses A D-35 type battery. Tips on vette batteries can be found at bugmans site. www.bugmanweb.com/
Old 03-11-2009, 06:16 PM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

First of all, there are no special procedures (other than reindexing the windows) required after recharging a dead battery, or after disconnecting a charged one. That's because this car doesn't run Microsoft Windows. You can't "reset" it by disconnecting the battery. It just doesn't work that way. Forget the tricks you've learned dealing with the Evil Empire. They won't help you here. Disconnecting the battery might have worked in old cars with PCMs, but the C6 doesn't have a PCM, and its ECM uses nonvolatile memory. It doesn't "reset" when you remove power.

Also, as others have noted, a 2 amp charger isn't going to recharge a dead battery in just 24 hours. Maybe in 24 days, but not in 24 hours. You need a real charger (real chargers have wheels) to recharge a dead battery in less than days. Even that might not save an older battery which has been discharged down to zero. It may be permanently damaged and won't charge back up fully. Just because low amp draws like door latches, radios, and lights work is no guarantee that the battery has enough charge to start the car.

One test you can perform if you don't own a multimeter is to press and hold ACC for 10 seconds. This puts the car in ignition on engine off mode. The dash will be live. Push the gauges button until battery voltage shows on the DIC. This should read 12.6 volts with the engine off. If it doesn't, your battery isn't fully charged. This car's computers behave strangely when the DIC reports 11.2 volts or less. Your headlamps would still burn at that voltage, but your car probably won't even try to start. If the voltage is less than 12.6 volts, you haven't charged the battery sufficiently, or it is damaged and won't accept sufficient charge.
BabyBlueVert (12-16-2017)
Old 03-11-2009, 06:36 PM
Oldngray
Cruising

Crisis is over, everyone. I stuck a new battery in her, she fired right up, and after a few minutes of running the windows up and down, all is back to normal. I may have lost a few radio pre-sets, otherwise it all seems AOK.

I learned a lot .... and thanks again for all the responses. Here's what I know now, or think I know:

1. Evidently the battery was ready to cave, and it was LUCK that it caved in my garage instead of anywhere else ....

2. Possibly something in the car went haywire, and caused undue drain while the Vette was obstensibly "off".

3. Delco batteries are not what they used to be .... when I wrestled mine out of the snug hole it lives in, I noticed it was labelled "made in Mexico". To me, that is BS .... nothing against Mexico, but I'd like my $ 60K plus "Made In America, By God" sports car to be just that.

4. Delco batteries will not take a decent charge after being totally depleted. I tried several times to goose mine back to snuff, and never did get enough juice in it to crank the car. Granted, my ancient charger is nothing to brag about .... it's an old Craftsman with 2 amp, 10 amp, and 50 amp settings. I gave the Delco 6 hours at 10 amps and then 12 hours at 2 amps, and never got it back to enough beans to crank the car.

Again, thank you for all the replies. Mike G. Thomasville GA
Amontekong (01-26-2018)
Old 03-11-2009, 09:32 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

Glad it worked out...and thanks for letting us all know the outcome!

Get notified of new replies

To 06 C6 Vert won't start after battery change

Old 03-11-2009, 09:53 PM
Mel 2001
Drifting

What brand/type of new battery did you get?
Old 03-12-2009, 07:35 AM
Oldngray
Cruising

Optima.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:09 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Good to hear you got it resolved, but look carefully at some of the posts above such as shopdog's and gcd. Happy driving.

Quick Reply: 06 C6 Vert won't start after battery change