C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are we really better off

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 04:27 PM
LarryMJones
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Default Are we really better off

Are we really better off having everything in a C6 controlled from a computerized electrical system? Or would you rather have a breaker point distributor, carburetor, and electrical switches that controlled the lights, wipers, A/C fan, ect like a 1963.
Remember you could trouble shoot the entire electrical system with a simple volt/ohm meter and basic electrical skills.
There were no BDS problems, and parts could be bought at almost any auto parts store.
I wonder if C6 electronic parts will be available 20 years from now, and if so at what price. Are these electronic marvels simply throwaways like a 5 year old PC.
LJ
Old 03-23-2009, 04:37 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I've thought about this and I think the ultimate would be to have the engine controlled by the computer but thats all. The rest of the electrical could be like the old days. We couldn't get this kind of mileage and power from the engine with a carb, points, etc. But I could do without the keyless entry and all the class II serial data flying around the car...
Old 03-23-2009, 04:44 PM
edbrick
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All this technology just made the mechanics dumber too. If you take the car to a dealer and there are no codes most of them say there is nothing wrong. "sorry no codes". I see it all the time.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:45 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

For the most part I appreciate all of the technology in these cars. I don't quite understand the need for the push to start button/fob but I can live with it.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:56 PM
Monts
Pro

Way better off.

Push Button start\FOB is the best. My other cars with keys feel out of date. Better would be having the FOB programed into your cell phone. One less thing to carry.

Tech keeps getting better all the time.

Last edited by Monts; 03-23-2009 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:59 PM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Electronics are as solid as the antiquated parts they replace.
Fuel injection, ECM, displays, knock sensors, etc... all make the car more efficient and reliable. While they may be more complex... there are new tools/software to diagnose any issues. The accuracy of these sensors and dedicated computers is what gives us great mileage, accurate handling and safety.
The rules have changed... but it's basically the same game..

I'm old and remember adjusting the dwell, replacing drum brakes and adjusting the AFM on a carb... While I enjoy the memories... I don't miss the issues associated with those parts..

These are the good old days..
Old 03-23-2009, 05:03 PM
djfullshred
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I know is my C6 is a heck of a lot better in just about every way than any old car I have ever driven or been in.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:06 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Technology in the C6 is a great thing. No way would I want to go back to a distributor, with setting the points, worrying about the timing and all that good stuff back in the day. Sure there are issues but with progress you sometimes have a price to pay. The C6 today is a much superior Vette than the early models in my opinion.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:12 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

I'd rather have the current day C6 where I can check nearly all important engine parameters at the push of a button. Also able to enter and exit the car, and lock the doors with my hands full.

Don't have to worry about a flat tire on a deserted road at 2 AM.

Why would anyone want to continue to do things the old way? If the old way is your bag, get rid of your telephones, washing machines, and TVs.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:18 PM
bimmerborn
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 120 Posts

You know, we bought a sports car which happened to be on expensive side. I am not sure if Corvette is a luxuary car. Having said that, yes, I rather have less electronics in my car. The other day I counted 10 different antennas in my Corvette !!! And to be honest with you, everytime I enter the car and hear the relays clicking, I wonder when one will break and send me to dealer which has no clue what is broken.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:20 PM
BriscoCounty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LarryMJones
Are we really better off having everything in a C6 controlled from a computerized electrical system? Or would you rather have a breaker point distributor, carburetor, and electrical switches that controlled the lights, wipers, A/C fan, ect like a 1963.
Remember you could trouble shoot the entire electrical system with a simple volt/ohm meter and basic electrical skills.
There were no BDS problems, and parts could be bought at almost any auto parts store.
I wonder if C6 electronic parts will be available 20 years from now, and if so at what price. Are these electronic marvels simply throwaways like a 5 year old PC.
LJ
Yes, we're far better off. I do not miss the days of having to "tune" my engine every 12000 miles and set the dwell, timing, change plugs, change distributor/rotor, etc. What a PITA that was. While generally easy to do on cars back then, now a days, you don't have to do any of that. I haven't replaced a spark plug, set of wires, or heck anything really inside the engine bay in over 20 years.

As for 20 years for now, don't care. I never keep a car more than 3-4 years, so as long as the electronics last that long, good enough for me. I'll admit that 20 years from now, and you have a 2005-2009 car, any car, and the PCM goes, will be interesting to see how much it will cost to replace and if you can get them. But again, 20 years from now I'll be driving a 2029 electric/natural gas/water vapor hybrid something or other (or what ever the government will let me/tell me to drive)!!
Old 03-23-2009, 05:20 PM
C6NRED
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

If you really want to hold the distributor cap with one hand (providing you loosened it just the right amount --- not too much!), and then have your other hand holding the timing light about three inches from the rapidly spinning fan blades, and then concentrate hard enough to try to see the timing marks waaaaaaaay down there on the crank.....be my guest! Just don't lose track of EXACTLY where that hand is holding the timing light!
I welcome the fact that a 100K tune up now consists of spark plugs...
I don't miss the "good old days" one bit..............Remember spraying GUNK Carb cleaner into your carb, letting it sit for a while to get the lacquer off, then spraying more in with the car running until it 'almost' stalled? Fun times indeed..........not!
Old 03-23-2009, 05:28 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I'm in the "here and now" crowd. If we want to build yesterday stuff, it's certainly do-able and enjoyable as a hobby. But the technology of cars is still moving ahead and it does make the cars better. Maybe there are those service techs who can't work on the cars, but they will slowly go away. As of today, there is still a need for a technician and a mechanic.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:37 PM
06 C6 vert
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by edbrick
All this technology just made the mechanics dumber too. If you take the car to a dealer and there are no codes most of them say there is nothing wrong. "sorry no codes". I see it all the time.
This is so true. IF you car isnt "throwing a code" then the dealers say the promlem doesnt exist, we have become drones.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:40 PM
06 C6 vert
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Monts
Way better off.

Push Button start\FOB is the best. My other cars with keys feel out of date. Better would be having the FOB programed into your cell phone. One less thing to carry.

Tech keeps getting better all the time.
I love the FOB, button start and all the Buck Rodgers stuff.
Memory seats, heated seats on and on it goes I like it all.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:56 PM
Lead Foot 66
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts

No, I'll take the modern stuff. The keyless entry, the keyless start, etc.

I don't miss changing plugs 2X/month on our '67 427 Vette. Getting under the A/C was a pita.

And the fuel mileage today is so much better too, along with performance we could only dream of then.

No, the good old days are now. Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:11 PM
Bob06COUPE
Advanced

Default better off?

I think so...being a automotive mechanic for over thirty years I was right in middle of the computer technology change (addition) for automobiles. Started out with points and condensers and now with complete computer controls...I do miss the old days...I think it took more skill to properly diagnose problems...still if I were to build a hot rod today I would go with fuel injection over carburetion any day.

Get notified of new replies

To Are we really better off

Old 03-23-2009, 06:16 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,250 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by LarryMJones
LJ
Good Point! sometimes I wonder. There is no way that you can work on these systems without considerable knowledge and sophisticated diagnostic equipment. I learned on cars with the most advanced piece of electronic equipment was the generator and the regulator.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:20 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by djfullshred
All I know is my C6 is a heck of a lot better in just about every way than any old car I have ever driven or been in.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:12 PM
VettedCandidate
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Of course we are better off! But I also agree that we are all getting dumber about our cars and so are all the mechanics. I worked at a gas station/garage when I was a kid and that is the kind of mechanical capabilities I remember. I knew how to change the plugs and points and could adjust the points by the time I was 12. I miss it a little but the car sure runs better!

Quick Reply: Are we really better off