C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fog lights Vs Driving lights

Old 04-06-2009, 03:04 AM
bimmerborn
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 120 Posts

Default Fog lights Vs Driving lights

My understanding is Coupes and Convertibles are equipped with Fog lights while Z06 and ZR1s have Driving lights instead. Is this a true statement? If so why? Thanks folks. Again I am not talking about headlights.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:47 AM
gota07
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

I always thought that fog lights and driving lights were just two different names for the same thing. Same as the difference between a parking brake and emergency brake.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:25 AM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by gota07
I always thought that fog lights and driving lights were just two different names for the same thing. Same as the difference between a parking brake and emergency brake.
Fog Lights and Driving Lights are the same....depending on what part of the country you are in. However, I think the OP is talking about the amber lights that come on unless you manually turn em off.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:43 AM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

Back to the owners manual.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:06 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 87 Posts

Back in the day,true fog lights had a yellow tint to them to cut through the glare in the fog.

What we have are driving lights,some do refer to them as fog lights though....they are the same on every C6 Corvette.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:25 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Well, regardless of what they are called. The coupe, convertible, Z06 and ZR1 all have the same lighting for high beam, low bean, daytime running lights and fog/driving lights.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:10 AM
Modshack
Safety Car

Received 444 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by obxchartercaptain
Fog Lights and Driving Lights are the same....depending on what part of the country you are in..
Fog lights and driving lights are 2 very different lighting types. True Fog lights typically have a very low and sharp beam cut off to minimize the glare reflected back from the fog mist. Try turning on your high beams in the fog and you'll see what that means.

Driving lights are high intensity, focused long distance beams for reaching way down the road at night.

They both, when sold as standalone lamps, have very different lens fluting to achieve the desired beam pattern..
Old 04-06-2009, 09:24 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Modshack
Fog lights and driving lights are 2 very different lighting types. True Fog lights typically have a very low and sharp beam cut off to minimize the glare reflected back from the fog mist. Try turning on your high beams in the fog and you'll see what that means.

Driving lights are high intensity, focused long distance beams for reaching way down the road at night.

They both, when sold as standalone lamps, have very different lens fluting to achieve the desired beam pattern..
All C6's have Head Lights (w/High and Low beams), Parking lights (which are also Turn Signals and Daytime Running Lights) and Fog Lights. Driving Lights is a poor term to use for the stock lighting.

Last edited by haljensen; 04-06-2009 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:35 PM
bimmerborn
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by obxchartercaptain
I think the OP is talking about the amber lights that come on unless you manually turn em off.
No sir. I did not mean amber DRLs (Daytime Running Lights) I meant the lights on the lower front bumper section.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:35 PM
bimmerborn
Melting Slicks

"Fog lights" and "Driving lights" are very different.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_lighting

- The manual states "Fog lamps" for both C6 coupe and Z06 light shapes.
- I say 'shapes' because as you know they are designed differently on Coupe Vs Z06.
- Coupe Fog lights are more trapezoid shape Vs in Z06 they are more rectangle looking.
- I remember posts from folks who convert to wide body, and could not reuse Coupe Fog lights in Z06 bumper.
- There is separate part numbers for Coupe Fog light and Z06 Fog light.
- Coupe Fog lights do their job perfectly as Fog lights. They have a shallow, but wide pattern. I sometimes use them as cornering lights in sharp turns.

For now lets forget what we call these lights. Or lets go with what manual calls them.
The question: Is there any difference between Coupe and Z06 "Fog lamps" illumination pattern?
I wish someone who has access to both lights chime in with pictures!
Old 04-06-2009, 03:20 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

You state that there is a different part number yet I can't find it. I am looking at the 2006 parts manual (chosen as it includes both the coupe and the Z06. The ONLY part number for a Fog lamp (used on both the Z06 front bumper and the C6 front bumper in 2006 was 15222965. Now, in 2008 that part number has been replaced (across the board) with 25942592 which is again, the only part number available as shown for 2005-2008 Corvettes. This was a supplier change which prompted the distinction in part numbers. No distinction is made between a Fog lamp with Z06 or a Fog lamp without Z06. If you go to GMpartshouse.com

Link to the Fog Lamp assembly page here

Can you help me find the second part number?
Old 04-06-2009, 03:37 PM
Shortimer
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

As mentioned above by Modshack, fog and driving lights are different products. I bought driving lights many years ago, a French brand (Cibie?) and they were great. Very narrow beam of light that exceeded the high beam reach. They required accurate alignment and could not be used with low beams. The instructions stated to wire them into the hi-beam circuit only so that's what I did. I still have them in a box somewhere.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:56 PM
TLK
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

I wish what we had were driving lights. I've never found fog lights to be useful in California, and some cars force you to have the low beams on anyway to get the foglights to work, which usually makes too much glare. Now some decent driving lights, that would be nice. The high beams are pretty good, but they are very focused. The low beams are good but don't project far enough and have the sharp vertical cutoff that makes it hard to see the road ahead on hilly goat trail kind of rural roads at night.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:10 PM
bimmerborn
Melting Slicks

The picture on this link
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-motoring.html
shows the difference between trapezoid shape Coupe Fog lights Vs rectangle looking Z06

Using the same stock bulb, are these different in illumination pattern?
Old 04-06-2009, 04:13 PM
Sherman Fretwell
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Me too. I've used several driving lights over the years. Those old Lucas Flame throwers were great. Aligning driving lights from such a low position (current fog lights) would be a challenge and I wonder if it is possible.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:15 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by bimmerborn
The picture on this link
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-motoring.html
shows the difference between trapezoid shape Coupe Fog lights Vs rectangle looking Z06

Using the same stock bulb, are these different in illumination pattern?
Did you consider that the only difference could be in the shape of the opening of the front fascia and that the assembly that bolts up behind it was the same? You can just see the lens pattern and reflective area in these two photographs.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:25 PM
bimmerborn
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by talon90
Did you consider that the only difference could be in the shape of the opening of the front fascia and that the assembly that bolts up behind it was the same? You can just see the lens pattern and reflective area in these two photographs.
Yes, the assembly behind might be the same. But the opening is different. Isn't it?

Pictures borrowed from above mentioned thread:

My question presists. Are these different in illumination pattern? Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Fog lights Vs Driving lights

Old 04-06-2009, 04:30 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Shortimer
As mentioned above by Modshack, fog and driving lights are different products. I bought driving lights many years ago, a French brand (Cibie?) and they were great. Very narrow beam of light that exceeded the high beam reach. They required accurate alignment and could not be used with low beams. The instructions stated to wire them into the hi-beam circuit only so that's what I did. I still have them in a box somewhere.
I used to have CIBIE H-1 100 watt bulbs that lite the whole neighborhood.
Hella made lights back then too.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:47 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Yes, the assembly behind might be the same. But the opening is different. Isn't it?

Pictures borrowed from above mentioned thread:

My question presists. Are these different in illumination pattern? Thanks.
Since your question Persists. My first response is that this wasn't your original question. Probably comes down to semantics. This would be the equivalent of taping the left and right 1/4" portion of the lens of a flashlight compared to an identical flashlight without the tape. In the case of the Corvette fog light the bulb is the same. The wattage is the same. The shape of the lens is the same. The shape of the reflector is the same however the front surface area for exposed light is different. I would say that yes, they will have a slightly different illumination pattern (pattern, not illumination level) while in their respective cars.

As to the other questions, no it is not true that one is a driving light and the other a fog light. No it is not true that there are different part numbers for each that I can find. The exact same lamp assembly is assembled in to each coupe, convertible, Z06 and ZR1. The exposed area on the front fascia of the Z06 and ZR1 is different than that on the coupe and convertible. I will submit to you that it is more likely a result of aerodynamics than available light.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:22 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"Fog lights" and "Driving lights" are very different.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_lighting

- The manual states "Fog lamps" for both C6 coupe and Z06 light shapes.
- I say 'shapes' because as you know they are designed differently on Coupe Vs Z06.
- Coupe Fog lights are more trapezoid shape Vs in Z06 they are more rectangle looking.
- I remember posts from folks who convert to wide body, and could not reuse Coupe Fog lights in Z06 bumper.
- There is separate part numbers for Coupe Fog light and Z06 Fog light.
- Coupe Fog lights do their job perfectly as Fog lights. They have a shallow, but wide pattern. I sometimes use them as cornering lights in sharp turns.

For now lets forget what we call these lights. Or lets go with what manual calls them.
The question: Is there any difference between Coupe and Z06 "Fog lamps" illumination pattern?
I wish someone who has access to both lights chime in with pictures!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fog lights Vs Driving lights