C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Complete Review and Comparison of Ipod Adapters for the C6 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 01:25 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Suspension
Deserves to go bk? A bit harsh.
Originally Posted by danl72
Was meant tounge in cheek.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:35 PM
gene0809
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Outstanding....
Old 04-08-2009, 01:45 PM
dark_phantom
Le Mans Master

Location: Central Florida. Black Sheep Squadron Member. 465 rwhp & 477 rwtq
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

I've got a couple of questions. Will anyone one of these work without the Nav? Also, will it work if I don't use the stock apple software for playing songs? I have rockbox instead of what comes with the device, I don't like the apple software (iTunes and such) at all.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:57 PM
SnapperDragon
Drifting

Originally Posted by NYC6
Was meant tounge in cheek.
I don't do so good without some smilies.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:29 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by dark_phantom
I've got a couple of questions. Will anyone one of these work without the Nav? Also, will it work if I don't use the stock apple software for playing songs? I have rockbox instead of what comes with the device, I don't like the apple software (iTunes and such) at all.
Yes, most of them will work without the nav radio, as long as they are "XM ready". The same comments should apply to each unit, but you should ask whoever you are buying from about your particular application to make sure it is compatible.

Ray
Old 04-08-2009, 02:44 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by glacierbay2
Fantastic write up. You mentioned Bluetooth, but maybe it should be mentioned again that the Peripheral unit will not work with a Bluetooth car. Not only did the iPod not work with my 09, the entire CAR did not work. So I'm stuck with the aux jack until they work the kinks out.
I did not know the Peripheral unit will not work with the Bluetooth equipped '09s. You might want to talk to USA Spec and ask about their PA11-Vette unit.

Ray
Old 04-08-2009, 02:49 PM
mrkay
Advanced

Thanks..........a hell of a review!
Old 04-08-2009, 02:53 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by AaronZ51
Well done indeed. I installed the PXAMG and have been compleely happy with it. I recently added the Pro-Clip holder and it really works well now. Unfortunately, this setup will not charge an iPhone, only the iPod.

Do any of the other adapters charge the iPhone while it's being used?
Although I did not test the IPhone, Peripheral does have a new 5 volt cord made for the Iphone and the new 4th generation Ipods. They sent me one, which looks identical to the previous cords, but supposedly they will charge the new Iphones and Ipods.

USA Spec also advised they have a charging cord for the new Iphone and Ipod. It is likely the other manufactures do as well, but you must ask them about your application.

Ray
Old 04-08-2009, 02:54 PM
jwolfrom
Instructor

Great write-up. It would seem that with the number of choices out there that if GM ever does release the PAL that they'll be up against some good competion that will no doubt cost a lot less than the PAL will probably go for at the dealers.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:01 PM
Sherman Fretwell
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ray - Great work as usual. Thanks!
Old 04-08-2009, 05:23 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by scottycards
I swapped in a radio from a 2008, and use the AUX input. Works great.
Yes, for the last couple of years I've also used an Auxiliary Input for my HP Ipaq, for music and books. It's a great way to get high quality audio from your music device.

But these Ipod adapters add another level to convenience, because they all offer a single cord solution to both charging your Ipod as well as some control of the Ipod itself right at the radio/navigation unit. This means you don't have to fiddle around with your music device while you are driving. The auxiliary input cannot handle these extra features.

The Ipod itself can store vast amounts of music or audiobooks. If you can control (understandably somewhat limited control) this audio selection right at the dashboard, that extra convenience is definitely a bonus.

Ray
Old 04-08-2009, 05:27 PM
jwswanson
Instructor

Originally Posted by AaronZ51
Well done indeed. I installed the PXAMG and have been compleely happy with it. I recently added the Pro-Clip holder and it really works well now. Unfortunately, this setup will not charge an iPhone, only the iPod.

Do any of the other adapters charge the iPhone while it's being used?
My SCOSHE charges the iPhone.
John
Old 04-08-2009, 05:37 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by glacierbay2
Fantastic write up. You mentioned Bluetooth, but maybe it should be mentioned again that the Peripheral unit will not work with a Bluetooth car. Not only did the iPod not work with my 09, the entire CAR did not work. So I'm stuck with the aux jack until they work the kinks out.
When I wrote back to the manufacturers, advising them that this review has been posted, I mentioned your problem with the PXAMG. One of the most knowledgeable technical people I found at Peripheral is Tony Tassillo. Tony just emailed me the following message:

"Ray,

The module has been tested in J1850 (Class II) vehicles (which is what the Corvette is) with Bluetooth and it has worked fine. This member who had this problem must have had out of date software or a defective module. He mentions that his whole car did not work (probably referring to the radio not powering up) this is due to our module not powering up normally due to one of the two reasons listed above.

I'm surprised to not see any mention about our module being the ONLY module you can update at your convenience as it has the USB port for software updates. So as bugs get fixed or additions get added (Bluetooth and Sirius) you can simply connect the module to your computer and update the module via our website.
www.peripheralelectronics.com/firmware.

I understand that the installation is not as easy but that allows dealers to only have to carry one skew in their shop. This is good because that means its compatible weather it has factory XM, 6 disc changer or the rear seat entertainment with no extra harnesses.

Overall the write up is good and I'm glad to see it's not biased in any way. Everyone will have their opinion and in a market like this cost may play a big part as well. Thanks for your help in spreading the word and may the best man win.....

Thanks,

Tony Tassillo
Peripheral Electronics
www.isimplesolutions.com
www.peripheralelectronics.com
tony.tassillo@aampofamerica.com"

You may wish to email Tony to help get your problem with the PXAMG resolved. From his email, it sounds like the PXAMG should work in the 2009 Corvette as well.

Ray
Old 04-08-2009, 06:41 PM
richhoff
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, impressive work. Thanks for all you did!!!!
Old 04-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Lead Foot 66
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts

Ray,

Looks like another in your on-going series of tests/mods/improvements to the functionality of our beloved Corvettes.

For those who want to keep Ray's review, I have converted it to a pdf file. Be happy to email it, but be aware, it is about 5.2 Gb
Old 04-08-2009, 07:20 PM
Poppy's Vette
Melting Slicks

Ray, you said these interfaces will also work on NON-NAV units as long as we have XM. But after reading all that information it seemed to all require the nav unit to function with all those features.

Help me out here, if I just want to connect my iPod without the FM transmitter (ei. connect direct to the system) and am willing to control it completely through the iPod, which would be the best unit for me? I had read on another thread (I think you were in that one as well) that I just needed some rca cables and a toggle switch and I could connect my iPod and toggle between the iPod and my XM. Is that still correct or is one of these devices better?

How about this question: I have 2 of the latest generation iPods and they wouldn't charge in many of the name brand docking stations. Contacing the companies they claimed it was because of some new charging protocols by Apple that they hadn't been aware of (nothing like passing the buck) anyway, will these units charge the new generation iPods?

Thanks for your help!
Old 04-08-2009, 08:21 PM
SnapperDragon
Drifting

Originally Posted by POPY'S VT
Ray, you said these interfaces will also work on NON-NAV units as long as we have XM. But after reading all that information it seemed to all require the nav unit to function with all those features.

Help me out here, if I just want to connect my iPod without the FM transmitter (ei. connect direct to the system) and am willing to control it completely through the iPod, which would be the best unit for me? I had read on another thread (I think you were in that one as well) that I just needed some rca cables and a toggle switch and I could connect my iPod and toggle between the iPod and my XM. Is that still correct or is one of these devices better?

How about this question: I have 2 of the latest generation iPods and they wouldn't charge in many of the name brand docking stations. Contacing the companies they claimed it was because of some new charging protocols by Apple that they hadn't been aware of (nothing like passing the buck) anyway, will these units charge the new generation iPods?

Thanks for your help!
A lot of existing peripherals will not work with the gen 2 ipod touch devices. Just make sure that they are compatible because it is true that changes were made and you need to look specifically for ipod touch compatibility, not just ipod.

Get notified of new replies

To A Complete Review and Comparison of Ipod Adapters for the C6 Corvette

Old 04-08-2009, 10:35 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by POPY'S VT

Thanks for your help!
If you don't need a lot of control of the Ipod from the radio/nav unit, probably the best adapter for you would be the USA Spec PA11-Vette. This one doesn't have as many search features as the other units, but it is very easy to use and very consistent in operation. It will also control the latest Ipods and Iphones if you explain to your vendor which model you have.

Some of my previous posts on similar subjects were for providing an inexpensive way to add an auxiliary input to your Vette. But all of these Ipod adapters not only provide that capability, but considerably more control, as well as keeping the Ipod battery charged through the single connecting cable.

You do not require the navigation option to use these adapters. If you have the XM capable radio with the 6 CD built in changer, these will work great and the USA Spec adapter is easy to install. If you decide to purchase the USA Spec unit, be sure that it has the latest "dual mode" design - the earlier units do not.

Hope that helps.

Ray
Old 04-08-2009, 10:44 PM
Poppy's Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by kawal
If you don't need a lot of control of the Ipod from the radio/nav unit, probably the best adapter for you would be the USA Spec PA11-Vette. This one doesn't have as many search features as the other units, but it is very easy to use and very consistent in operation. It will also control the latest Ipods and Iphones if you explain to your vendor which model you have.

Some of my previous posts on similar subjects were for providing an inexpensive way to add an auxiliary input to your Vette. But all of these Ipod adapters not only provide that capability, but considerably more control, as well as keeping the Ipod battery charged through the single connecting cable.

You do not require the navigation option to use these adapters. If you have the XM capable radio with the 6 CD built in changer, these will work great and the USA Spec adapter is easy to install. If you decide to purchase the USA Spec unit, be sure that it has the latest "dual mode" design - the earlier units do not.

Hope that helps.

Ray
Thanks Ray, I will look for that device.

Paul
Old 04-08-2009, 10:56 PM
Les-10
Bow-Tie Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Where's good location for the Ipod itself?

& if in console or glove box, how are the cables being routed?

Quick Reply: A Complete Review and Comparison of Ipod Adapters for the C6 Corvette