C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Complete Review and Comparison of Ipod Adapters for the C6 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 10:57 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by POPY'S VT
Thanks Ray, I will look for that device.

Paul
Paul, take a look at the links at the bottom of my review. You can go there and find out a lot of information for your specific application. Jay Coban at Discount Car Stereo should also be able to help you. Or Dan Geil at USA Spec.

Ray
Old 04-08-2009, 11:04 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by Les-10
& if in console or glove box, how are the cables being routed?
Take a look at the last photo on my review page and you'll see my Ipod sitting in the cup holder area. But you can place your Ipod about anywhere you want in the Corvette. The issue is how much control you want at the Ipod itself. If you want only very basic control and just listen to one track of music after another, you can place the Ipod anywhere out of sight and use the radio or nav unit for control.

Probably the simplest place to keep the Ipod would be in the console, because you can easily route the single cable to that location. The Ipod cables with each unit allow you to route it most anywhere. Depending which unit you choose, you can usually route the cable under the carpet out of sight. If you choose to connect at the radio or nav unit, once the center console is off, you can easily choose where to run the single connecting cable - glove box, console, etc.

Ray

Last edited by kawal; 04-08-2009 at 11:06 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:26 PM
Noggles
Team Owner

Location: Adventure, excitement ... a Jedi craves not these things.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In VII Veteran

The GM Advanced Ipod Lockpick

Will this work on a 2005 non-NAV 6-CD radio? If so, you'd just control everything from the iPod, right?

Thanks for the fantastic & comprehensive writeup
Old 04-09-2009, 02:56 AM
longrodlx
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

cliff notes? lol
Old 04-09-2009, 03:15 AM
chevyc6z51
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for taking the time to do this
Old 04-09-2009, 03:51 AM
Nikka
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kawal
By now, we've all given up on the famous and mysterious "integrated solution" for the Ipod, known as the Personal Audio Link (PAL).

Since I was in the market for an Ipod adapter for my own Corvette Z06, I began searching the forum to see if I could learn which one is "the best", so I could buy one. I quickly found that some owners were happy with whichever unit they bought and other owners were disappointed with those same units. So I decided to get hold of all of them and try them out and do a detailed review and comparison.

I received models from five manufacturers:
1. The GM Advanced Ipod Lockpick from Coastal Electronics.
2. The P.I.E. GM12-POD/S
3. The USA Spec PA11-Vette
4. The Scosche AXIPCL2
5. The Peripheral PXAMG

I installed each one in my 2007 Z06 with Navigation, XM Radio, and a factory external 6 CD changer. Most models are compatible with not only this set of options but also the standard radio with 6CD changer and with or without XM radio.

I found the results interesting, and I'm hoping it will be useful to the many C6 Vette owners who are also considering an Ipod adapter for their car.

All of these adapters will provide high quality audio from the Ipod to their sound system, and a single cable will not only connect the Ipod to the audio system but will also keep the Ipod battery charged as well. So the solution is very neat indeed. Once connected, you will have access to thousands of songs in your music collection.

Each of the adapters offers limited control of the Ipod at the nav or radio head, including song title and artist name. But each one has its own advantages and disadvantages. The complete review and comparison is at this link:

http://www.kawal.net/ipod.htm

It will take a while to get through the long discussion, but conclusions are near the bottom of the page.

For those of you who already have one of these units, I would welcome your comments on my results, and particularly if you find some errors or something I may have left out. I have not had a chance to "live with" these adapters for any length of time, so for those of you with some experience, your comments would be helpful. If there are any errors or omissions, I can easily correct the contents of the website above.

My email address is at the bottom of the website if anyone would care to email me directly.

I hope this is helpful.

Ray
Thank you! That is terrific information.

Nikka
Old 04-09-2009, 05:48 AM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

Thanks good info.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:19 AM
gota07
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

That is an excellent, unbiased accounting of all these iPod adapters I've been hearing bits and pieces about scattered through a number of different threads. Thank you very much for compiling all this info and sharing it with us.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:17 AM
kygakman
Sideways Saturday
Support Corvetteforum!

Great review! Appreciate your unbiased observations. Thanks...
Old 04-09-2009, 09:27 AM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 660 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by kygakman
Great review! Appreciate your unbiased observations. Thanks...
Thanks for the time you invested in a great review
Old 04-09-2009, 11:35 AM
Les-10
Bow-Tie Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by gota07
That is an excellent, unbiased accounting of all these iPod adapters I've been hearing bits and pieces about scattered through a number of different threads. Thank you very much for compiling all this info and sharing it with us.
Outstanding job & responses to questions as well!
Old 04-09-2009, 12:22 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by Noggles
The GM Advanced Ipod Lockpick

Will this work on a 2005 non-NAV 6-CD radio? If so, you'd just control everything from the iPod, right?

Thanks for the fantastic & comprehensive writeup
I'm afraid this is not correct. The Lockpick adapter was the only adapter of the five tested that did NOT allow you to control the Ipod at the Ipod itself. Once you plugged it in, everything must be controlled at the radio. To me, this was my major gripe because the control at the radio was so limited. That means you must unplug the Ipod from the connecting cable and go to the song you want, then plug the Ipod back in to listen to it.

The Lockpick worked fine if all you wanted to do was select a playlist from your Ipod and then play the songs in the order that they are added to the playlist. But to get to song #246, for example, you would have to continue pressing the SEEK button until to got to that song, a time consuming process.

The Lockpick was OK if you only had a few songs in your playlist or you are content to listen the playlist in the same order every time. Because the other adapters offered direct control of the Ipod, I couldn't recommend the Lockpick when you had better choices, in my opinion.

Regarding your application for your '05 Vette, I'd suggest calling Coastal Electronics at 800-507-2234.

Ray
Old 04-09-2009, 02:17 PM
Poppy's Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet, after getting all this info from Ray, I spoke direct to the contacts at both USA Spec and Disount Car Stereo and after getting my questions answered I ordered the USA SPEC PA11-Vette with the updated CB-PA85 cable so my new generation iPods will charge. I can't wait to get them installed
Old 04-09-2009, 03:15 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

I have theThe Peripheral PXAMG and it works great. No complaints with the unit. I agree it's a bit to install but worth the effort IMO. Great write up for those still on the fence on what unit to buy... thanks...
Old 04-09-2009, 03:46 PM
mte.smiles
Racer

Excellent post! Thanks for your time and effort. I really enjoyed reading your article and was most impressed with your thoroughness. You'd be a heck of a writer for Consumer Reports!
Old 04-09-2009, 04:01 PM
GHWelles
Racer

Default Radio Shack direct wire in method

I did this, works great.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...s-with-xm.html
Old 04-09-2009, 04:51 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by GHWelles
Yes, I did something very similar quite a while ago, before I got an Ipod. I was using (and still often use) an HP Ipaq which runs on a Windows Mobile operating system and it's quite good. This is a very inexpensive way to get high quality audio into your audio system.

But if you're already using an Ipod, the auxiliary input solution if only half of the possible conveniences, because it only allows you to listen to the audio from your device. These Ipod adapters do two important additional things - they charge the Ipod battery through the same single connecting cable, and perhaps even more importantly, they allow control (limited, depending on the adapter) of the Ipod itself right at the radio or navigation head in the dash. Plus, if you have steering wheel controls, you have that additional convenience as well. Finally, your song title and artist are displayed right on the radio or navigation head, another nice feature.

If you have the Ipod already, these adapters are the way to go. They cost between a hundred and two hundred bucks.

Ray

Get notified of new replies

To A Complete Review and Comparison of Ipod Adapters for the C6 Corvette

Old 04-09-2009, 04:59 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by POPY'S VT
Sweet, after getting all this info from Ray, I spoke direct to the contacts at both USA Spec and Disount Car Stereo and after getting my questions answered I ordered the USA SPEC PA11-Vette with the updated CB-PA85 cable so my new generation iPods will charge. I can't wait to get them installed
There you go - you'll like that unit with the new "dual mode" design. I couldn't tell from your avatar, but if you have a coupe or Z06, you might want to ask for the Ipod extension cable. The one supplied is a bit short to reach from the left rear wheel well to your console area. Without the extension, you'll have to move the adapter forward, closer to the drivers seat, which is a bit of a pain. The standard Ipod cable is only six feet long - they should be at least ten feet long.

I modified my write-up a bit to mention this for other owners.

Ray

Last edited by kawal; 04-09-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:37 PM
richhoff
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey mods, this definitely should be a stickey. Great info!!!
Old 04-09-2009, 07:55 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

Great info to use. Thanx

Quick Reply: A Complete Review and Comparison of Ipod Adapters for the C6 Corvette