C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zaino

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 11:02 PM
deputydawg40
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zaino

Had just applied a coating of Turtle Wax when I purchased a bottle of Zaino Grand Finale Show Finish from a vendor at a meet which I attended. Having seen Zaino highly reccomended on the Forum but having never used it, my question is. Can I apply it over the application of Turtle wax or should I remove the Turtle wax and apply directly over the factory finish or will it make any difference which way I use it. Thanks in advance for your answers.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:06 PM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd recommend you wash the car with Dawn dishwashing detergent first, then apply Z-AIO as a base then Z-2 or Z-5, then the spray. Your best contact to get "the answer" is Wolfdogs.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:24 PM
C6Buddy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Zaino = Highly overrated. Get some NXT from your local auto parts store and be done with it. I have used all of it and I honestly can not tell a difference between Zaino, NXT and Zymol. Zymol with spraying a mist of water after applied is actually your best shine but worst protection (it's like a shoe shine). That is if you can sit there for 6 hours and actually see a difference.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:38 PM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C6Buddy
Zaino = Highly overrated. Get some NXT from your local auto parts store and be done with it. I have used all of it and I honestly can not tell a difference between Zaino, NXT and Zymol. Zymol with spraying a mist of water after applied is actually your best shine but worst protection (it's like a shoe shine). That is if you can sit there for 6 hours and actually see a difference.
Zaino Z-5 has UV protection. Does NXT or Zymol have that?
Old 05-28-2009, 11:46 PM
C6Buddy
Racer

Originally Posted by inthehunt2
How do you know Zaino has UV protection? If you read that on the bottle that is not good enough for me.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:50 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Although the shine from NXT and Zaino are similar the big difference IMO is Zaino is easier to apply (takes me about 45 min to do the whole car start to finish, goes on easy and comes off even easier) and it lasts much longer. If you put a coat on every month the longevity is no big deal, though. I tend to do three applications a year.

But we digress. To the OP I agree that it's best to strip the old wax with Dawn.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:00 AM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

How do you know Zaino has UV protection? If you read that on the bottle that is not good enough for me.
To be totally honest, here's what's on the bottle...

Zaino Z-5 Pro Car Polish has "Ultra Guard" sunshield in it for UV protection. If you're questioning the validity of it, best to question Zaino directly. For me, I have no reason to question it.

Also, straight from their website, here's a quote...

Source:

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-5&Category_Code=Zaino&Product_Count=8"

"Z-5 PRO also contains Zaino's proprietary, state-of-the-art Ultra-Gard UV-40 sunscreen protection to ensure that your vehicle's finish stays looking as brilliant and vibrant as the day it left the showroom."

Last edited by inthehunt2; 05-29-2009 at 12:04 AM.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:12 AM
toxin440
Melting Slicks

everyone had different needs/budget/taste - but I love Zaino. been using it for about 4 years. Yes it's slightly more expensive, but I have yet to find anything better.

It's the smoothest, slickest, and best looking protectant ive ever used, and it smells so damn good.

Hell their leather care products are literally PERFECT.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:14 AM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by toxin440
Hell their leather care products are literally PERFECT.
I just bought their "leather in a bottle" product and used it. After letting it soak into the leather for about 1 hour, I got into the Vette and the seats felt so much smoother and softer! WOW!
Old 05-29-2009, 02:00 AM
c6 batmobile
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Zaino is way easier to remove and doesnt leave that wax powder after you rub it off. Ive use all of these products and like stated earlier zaino is the easiest to put on and take off.

To the op wash the car with dawn but purchase the other zaino wax and use it with the spray before the sealant polish. This will produce great results.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:35 AM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

You will get zanny with all the choices with Zaino ,the shipping and the cost. Go to your local auto store and buy NXT 2.0 .
Old 05-29-2009, 07:36 AM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

Old 05-29-2009, 07:39 AM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

To the OP - Check out this thread. Healthy debate of waxes/polishes...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-wolfdogs.html
Old 05-29-2009, 08:12 AM
iridelow
Le Mans Master

Received 161 Likes on 87 Posts

REJEX and be done with it!!
Old 05-29-2009, 08:24 AM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Everyone has their own opinion on what is best. This is very subjective. It is kind of like asking what the best color is. There is no real answer to this question even though some smart azz will say "Red is the best color" etc. I advise you try a couple of different products and make your own decision.

I use Zaino but many people don't like it. Some don't like it because they just don't know how to apply it properly but that is certainly not everyone. I use Zaino because it is very easy to put on, I use less than an ounce per coat (which makes it very cheap per use), it does not leave a residue on black surfaces, is very easy to remove (no rubbing if applied correctly) and it lasts over a year on my cars including my daily driver. Traditional waxes may last a couple of months TOPS.

There are a few downsides to using Zaino. If you apply it too thick it will be very difficult to remove and even after you think you have removed it all you will see smears that will move as you rub them but won't actually come out. Along the same lines if you miss removing a spot of Zaino and put another coat on top of it you will have just sealed in the spot with Zaino still on it and it won't come off unless you strip all the Zaino off in that area. Another downside is you can't walk into any auto store and buy Zaino. You have to order from the web site or find someone locally who sells it. Most car clubs have someone in the club who sells Zaino from their homes. One other downside is that if you decide you want to remove all Zaino you'll need to use a polish, Zaino PC fusion or a mixture of water and vinegar I believe. Dawn will remove wax but Zaino is not a traditional wax and dawn will not remove it. One last downside that I know of is the initial cost. If you read the Zaino web site they will have you using 10 different products and that is confusing and expensive but all you really need is Zaino AIO and Z5. Many of us use Z2 as well as Z6 and Z8 but you don't really need these. While initial cost can be high especially if you "drink the Zaino Kool-Aid" from the web site, cost per coat is very cheap if you apply it properly.

I have never used NXT because I have been using Zaino for 10+ years and I don't change what works for me but I'm sure it's a good product and there are many others I'm sure. As long as you're happy with what you use the heck with what anyone else uses.

To answer your original question, yes, you can apply Z6 or Z8 over another product with no issues. It won't last long but you certainly won't hurt anything.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:55 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by iridelow
REJEX and be done with it!!
What I use on all my vehicles and it does the trick and the bugs come off so easy
Old 05-29-2009, 09:59 AM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been using zaino since 1998...........when Sal Zaino contacted me after my 97 Comp TA won top honors at the Pontiac Nationals in Ohio. He asked me to try his product. I said.. "oh sure", snake oil................ LOL... the rest is history.......

I have tried every product out there since the late 60's. Since 98.. i have tried the new products on my wifes Suv's out of curiosity... nothing.......absolutely nothing, compares to the optical clarity, durability, and overall protection of Zaino. i have never had a problem with applicaiton, smearing, or any of that stuff. Plain and simple, follow the directions. I have even applied a coat, covered the car, and come back a week later and removed the coat... that lefts a nice further protection to the inside of the car cover..

All Sal Zaino's products have been researched to the hilt before hitting the market. Sal is very proud of his product line, and won't hit the market with anything until he feels its the finest available...and will do exactly as claimed. And his products do have UV protection. When I sold my 97 Comp T/A and 97 Firehawk, all the weather striping, and any black plastic, looked brand new, show room floor new........ from his z16 rubber preservative. And the leather surfaces were the same, except from wrinkles from our butts being on them...LOL.

I am a firm believer in layering multiple coats on what I call the "impact areas" of the car: ie: nose, rear, and lower quarter panels behind the wheels... this has dramatically cut down on fine road debris damage on all my vehicles over the years. Bugs dont stick to Zaino, their acidic acid guts cant penetrate the zaino layers and etch your clear coat like other polishes. bugs flick off with your finger, tar wipes off with a spray of fine detailer with no effort, and its shine is beyond approach.

To each their own.............if you want to use Pam or peanut butter and thats what makes ya happy, go for it... it boils down to "all being fun", having fun taking care of your car...and being proud of the results that you wanted...........

Get notified of new replies

To Zaino

Old 05-29-2009, 10:16 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Rochester
You will get zanny with all the choices with Zaino ,the shipping and the cost. Go to your local auto store and buy NXT 2.0 .
Old 05-29-2009, 10:18 AM
John_Syb
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the Zaino because I have seen what Wolfdogs car looks like. Impressive to say the least!

And.. is it just me or does anyone else hear Hulk Hogan's voice in their head when they read wolfdogs posts???
Old 05-29-2009, 10:26 AM
Fastcar
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by inthehunt2
I'm putting it on paint not my skin.

I'm sure that there are enough UV protection in the paint so it won't get sunburned.

Some have said that Zaino is easier. I used it a number of years ago and it is a project imo. I just read a post by a guy who spent Memorial Day weekend doing the Zaino thing. I spent the weekend driving my vette.

Seriously, some like myself just wash and wax our cars. If it takes more that 2 hours start to finish including a shower and changing it is too long. I should add that we clay them on occasion as well.
Others will devout a weekend to washing waxing sealing polishing dusting cleaning treating and whatever else. But that is what folks like to do.

Your choice!!

Quick Reply: Zaino