C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So much for the "top tier" gasolines...

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 12:24 AM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by CudjoeScott
Can you point me to a thread that discusses this further? I'd love to know how to do this.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...ber-gauge.html
http://www.davidfarmerstuff.com/align.pdf

The second post shows a digital level used to measure camber and you could also use it to measure caster with the procedure from the second link. I use a carpenter's square held against the tire and measure from the vertical to the rim at the bead in two places (12 O'clock and 6 O'clock) with a dial caliper. Subtract the top number from the bottom number, divide by the distance between the two measuring points (17" for my car), and then take the inverse sine. If the higher number was at the top, you'll have negative camber. For my car, if I measured .130" at 6 O'clock and .500" at 12 O'clock, I would have (.130-.500)/17= -.02176. Taking the inverse sine of -.02176 gives -1.25° or negative 1.25 degrees camber. For toe, I use a cloth sewing tape with a helper to measure from the inside of the rim on one side to the inside of the rim on the other side forward of the axle centerline then do the same behind the axle centerline. Subtract one from the other and if the larger distance was forward of the axle centerline, you have toe-out. I think David Farmer's website has a better toe measuring procedure as well as a thrust angle procedure. Hope this helps!

PS You need to have a level area that extends out to the end of the horizontal of the carpenter's square to measure camber, I use a long level to find the "sweet" spot in my driveway.

Last edited by glass slipper; 06-04-2009 at 12:28 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:10 AM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by glass slipper
I don't have to count posts, all you do is click on the number under the "Replies" column and it opens up a window with the posters in the thread and the number of posts they've made, only takes about one second...once again you think you're way is the only way. I work smarter and you work harder.

So can we all agree that anybody can run whatever the hell they want??? Good, now let's all go crap in Vette Suspension's back yard, he's on his toilet reading my latest novel.
Relax your always on the defensive.

And your stealing my material now?
Old 06-04-2009, 01:36 AM
CudjoeScott
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...ber-gauge.html
http://www.davidfarmerstuff.com/align.pdf

The second post shows a digital level used to measure camber and you could also use it to measure caster with the procedure from the second link. I use a carpenter's square held against the tire and measure from the vertical to the rim at the bead in two places (12 O'clock and 6 O'clock) with a dial caliper. Subtract the top number from the bottom number, divide by the distance between the two measuring points (17" for my car), and then take the inverse sine. If the higher number was at the top, you'll have negative camber. For my car, if I measured .130" at 6 O'clock and .500" at 12 O'clock, I would have (.130-.500)/17= -.02176. Taking the inverse sine of -.02176 gives -1.25° or negative 1.25 degrees camber. For toe, I use a cloth sewing tape with a helper to measure from the inside of the rim on one side to the inside of the rim on the other side forward of the axle centerline then do the same behind the axle centerline. Subtract one from the other and if the larger distance was forward of the axle centerline, you have toe-out. I think David Farmer's website has a better toe measuring procedure as well as a thrust angle procedure. Hope this helps!

PS You need to have a level area that extends out to the end of the horizontal of the carpenter's square to measure camber, I use a long level to find the "sweet" spot in my driveway.
Thanks a ton My choices are rather limited down here, so when I can find a way to do it myself, it's usually well worth the effort. Thanks again!
Old 06-04-2009, 02:02 AM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Suspension
Relax your always on the defensive.

And your stealing my material now?
I usually find when a person can't defend their position, they resort to deflection and personal attacks. That seems to be your speciality. If you still feel like posting, there are a lot of unanswered questions that I asked of you in this thread...how about digging them up to try to add something halfway constructive/helpful to the discussion. Kind of like I just did with the alignment post above. Don't worry though, I'll understand if you don't.

Last edited by glass slipper; 06-04-2009 at 02:05 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:14 AM
Uncle Meat
Le Mans Master

Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts

So tell us, when did you do your first oil change? I'm just dying to hear...not really, actually I've bet $10 that you did it before 500 miles. I know you won't tell us because you didn't do what the owners manual recommended...and somebody has been preaching to only do what's recommended. I've also bet $25 that you don't follow the DIC for oil change intervals as recommended by the owners manual. I have another $25 on you changing the oil before it gets to 50% on the DIC. So how much money did I make tonight? I bet I hit the trifecta!
Trifecta? No, more like total ownage.

Last edited by Uncle Meat; 06-04-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:57 AM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Uncle Meat
Trifecta? no more likee total ownage.
Read the response. He lost the trifecta.

Reading is fundamental.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:20 AM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

I usually find when a person can't defend their position, they resort to deflection and personal attacks. That seems to be your speciality. If you still feel like posting, there are a lot of unanswered questions that I asked of you in this thread...how about digging them up to try to add something halfway constructive/helpful to the discussion. Kind of like I just did with the alignment post above. Don't worry though, I'll understand if you don't.
Here you go again. You had your undies all wound up about when I changed my oil which was way OT but I answered and quite honestly. I could of easily said I waited until the DIC was at 10%. But, I gave you a honest answer yet somehow you chose to ignore it. Now you even have some meat dude thinking your right when you were not. The cheap guy (jk) was just playing with the words required and recommended and it turned more into a joke then anything. Actually he and I were just playing with words. And he seems like a pretty cool yet stubborn person (as I can also be).

For the record. If someone does not want to follow the manuals recommendations that is fine. If you people believe they know more then the designers and manufacturer of the Corvette that is fine. If you feel people that follow recommendations are clueless that is fine also. I applaud you for working on your own car and disregarding the owners manual. That is a wonderful achievement you have shared with all of us. Your a maverick in the Corvette world now.

Somehow your feelings have been hurt among all this. And for that I'm truly sorry. You wrote me a novel and count my posts. That is fine. Along with the topic I like to add a little humor. I even tried with my last post with you to throw in a bit of humor. You obviously have no sense of humor unless its directed at others. Once again I apologize for hurting your feelings and feel free to ask a question. As you can see I'm honest. I truly hope you do not feel the need to be on the defensive over this. The forum is a place to have fun, debate, and learn. Try not to take the fun out of it.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:38 AM
6speedC6
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GCD1962
State most likely only sampled for minimum required additives, not how well they performed. It's pretty much common knowledge that gas in many areas of the country is generic until it reached the terminal/storage areas where the additives are then mixed before delivery.
That's a fact!!!
Old 06-04-2009, 11:40 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

:be atdeadhorse:
Old 06-04-2009, 11:41 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Old 06-04-2009, 12:05 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by LS WON
Wow! Twice with the dead horse.

But I'm only going to post this once since some members count posts (just kidding GS relax).
Old 06-04-2009, 02:03 PM
owebo
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16

Thank you for making my point. You need to relax. If you notice most of my posts are humorous. I told a guy to crap in his backyard.

And here you are counting posts and writing novels. Not only do you need to get a grip you need to get out. Whoa..

If your so wound up about oil change I did my first one around 1700 miles. Reason you ask? My 09 came with a slight defect on the passenger seat so I had to bring it in for replacement and had the dealer put on GM splash guards. If it was in the air why not change the oil? The dealer a good friend did it for free which should make the cheap guy smile. Now you know you can relax and really dont get them undies so wound up. Keep your responses short. People do not have the time you obviously do...
Darn, off by 700 miles......

I will give you credit for not belonging to the 500 mile club....

So owners manual recommendations are just that then, recommendations...Glad we got that cleared up....Sam's Club has great gas!!!!!
Old 06-04-2009, 03:57 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by owebo
Darn, off by 700 miles......

I will give you credit for not belonging to the 500 mile club....

So owners manual recommendations are just that then, recommendations...Glad we got that cleared up....Sam's Club has great gas!!!!!
If the car would not have been in for service and up in the air for Splash guard install I most likely would have followed the GM manual recommendations. However, I took advantage of a great opportunity.

Sam's has some great deals on toilet paper. Shell has outstanding gas.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:02 PM
owebo
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16

If the car would not have been in for service and up in the air for Splash guard install I most likely would have followed the GM manual recommendations. However, I took advantage of a great opportunity.

Sam's has some great deals on toilet paper. Shell has outstanding gas.

Even, dare I say, 87???
Old 06-04-2009, 04:18 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by owebo
Even, dare I say, 87???
All aside it has been fun.

I'm sure down the road we will agree on something. And if we ever cross path's I know I'm paying for the beer. Ya, know cuz your cheap. Just kiddin..
Old 06-04-2009, 04:25 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Wow! Twice with the dead horse.

But I'm only going to post this once since some members count posts (just kidding GS relax).
Old 06-04-2009, 05:09 PM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Walmart here I come.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:45 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by Rule292
Capitalism at it's finest! You're making money, I'm making money, GM's making money (from us).

I've got a number of piplelne MLP's; quite happy with them.

I hope NG makes me lots more money when TBP's little adventures start kicking in (long on CLNE too).

Old 06-04-2009, 08:56 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

You know what was interesting? When Rotten Robbie gasoline made the fuel gauge on my girlfriend's car turn upside down. and it went away after refilling with Chevron.

Quick Reply: So much for the "top tier" gasolines...