C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So much for the "top tier" gasolines...

Old 05-29-2009, 09:46 PM
Rule292
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by laconiajack
Hello "Rule292" - their is no "0w-30" synthetic oil requirement fror our Vettes. It is a 5W-30 synthetic oil requirement. Have a nice day.
Typo - being corrected!!!
Old 05-29-2009, 09:54 PM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vette Suspension
The response was so cocky I had to make a trip downstairs to get my owners manual.

For all I care you could put donkey poo in your tank. I'm sticking with what the manufacturer states to use.

Yes, on page 5-6 of the 2009 owners manual it is recommended to use TOP TIER detergent Gasoline even in CAPS in the manual.

That again is the 2009 manual. Until the 2010 the most recent manual the manufacturer of the car has.
You do what you feel is best.. I have gone along for the last 10 years using various brands of gasoline in vettes with no negative issues.. which the article and others have pointed out...
Old 05-29-2009, 10:32 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,045 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

That Yahoo article is so bad it's embarassing. Like much of today's media; they got just enough of the story right, to get it all wrong.

For starters, last time I looked at
www.toptiergas.com
the site clearly stated that all gasoline today has government-required additives. They further stated that the car makers had concluded the government-required minimums were not enough for best engine protection, and called for the Top Tier rating system to get better additive performance. Page 5-6 of my 2006 Owners Manual says the same thing and clearly recommends Top Tier gasoline.

At the end of the paragraph about gas, the article says that the only difference may be a quart of additive in a tanker full of fuel. The operative word is "may", the difference might be more than that. And we're talking about an additive in the gasoline, not something like a 50-50 mix.

Their credit card info is also misleading- I've used a Shell MasterCard for several years that gives me 5% rebates on all Shell gas purchases. No annual fee, and I don't give a hoot about the interest rates because I pay in full each month.

I can't prove whether Top Tier gasoline is really better for your car than other brands, but Yahoo needs to get someone who understands the issues to write their articles.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:12 PM
50MileSmile
Burning Brakes

Received 213 Likes on 97 Posts

In the past (and maybe still today), wasn't one of the criteria for a "top tier" gasoline that it had to be sold at a high-volume dealer, so it didn't sit underground for several days?
Old 05-30-2009, 12:16 AM
DocJackson1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C6~Missle
You do what you feel is best.. I have gone along for the last 10 years using various brands of gasoline in vettes with no negative issues.. which the article and others have pointed out...
i agree with you. your response is correct.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:22 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
For the sake of my quarterly dividends, please only buy the most expensive gasoline that you can find. Be nice to your C6
Amen!
Old 05-30-2009, 12:27 AM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What’s more, your local Chevron station may sell gas refined by Shell or Exxon Mobil...
We tried to tune with a tank of Exxon Mobil and ran into numerous problems. A couple days later did a re-tune with Chevron Supreme (same octane) and no problems. Now I only use Chevron Supreme.

Old 05-30-2009, 02:17 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

How about Arco gas? There is no gasoline brand around here that's lower in cost but I haven't heard anything about this brand trouble or no trouble.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:32 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 50MileSmile
In the past (and maybe still today), wasn't one of the criteria for a "top tier" gasoline that it had to be sold at a high-volume dealer, so it didn't sit underground for several days?
The primary criteria to be listed as a Top Tier gasoline supplier is that your check clear with the Top Tier people. It is primarily a marketing program.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:39 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
How about Arco gas? There is no gasoline brand around here that's lower in cost but I haven't heard anything about this brand trouble or no trouble.
ARCO made their reputation by tightly controlling costs and keeping prices low. But since BP bought them in '95, they are no different than any other BP station.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:49 AM
smallblk400
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree about the yahoo article!!! All it does is make us think were all screwed before we even pull up & pump the gas or snake oil for that matter...which might be the case but damn? Is there anyone looking out for the little guy anymore????
Old 05-30-2009, 03:05 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by shopdog
ARCO made their reputation by tightly controlling costs and keeping prices low. But since BP bought them in '95, they are no different than any other BP station.
We don't have BP gas stations around here anymore unless Arco replaced them.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:36 AM
Uncle Meat
Le Mans Master

Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts

Man I'm counting my blessings that I have numerous Entec gas stations around me. They are not only rated "Top Tier", they also have some of the most competitive prices around compared to the other "Top Tier" certified fuels. I can get 93.5 octane and it's triple filtered (Entec's claim to fame besides being Top Tier is their gas is pumped and run through three aircraft quality filters before it gets to your tank).

My previous Cobra and now the vette pretty much live off the stuff!

U.M.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:37 AM
BlackZ51Vett
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put in what you want. I'll be sticking with Chevron or Shell. It may be only a quart of additives per tankful but that quart may make a difference in keeping your fuel system cleaner.........
Old 05-30-2009, 07:49 AM
ch47d1sg
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by inthehunt2
This is an excerpt from a news article on Yahoo. To see the whole article, you can go to:

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home...d=family-autos
When will we learn that not all that we read on the web, in the papers and mags, and see on TV is true?

Anyone that has been in the oil and gas industry knows that a the article contains significant inconsistencies.

Those that of us that are not in that buisiness would not know.

All gas is not created equal, nor do all stations reveal the truth of what they are selling

IMHO
Old 05-30-2009, 07:56 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
Arco is all part of BP now. Go find a late model Ford and open the fuel door. It says "BP recommended". Last time I looked BP was not a Top Tier member.

Let's not forget how this all works. Top Tier and BP sell the manufacturers to make those recommendations. I PROMISE you that they also offer a big discount to the manufacturers. Don't forget that the manufacturers buy an awful lot of fuel every year.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:12 AM
VettedCandidate
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to laugh when I read this stuff. I don't really have any of the choices you guys do. Seems like all we have in Iowa anymore are convenience-store gas like KwikStar, Caseys, etc. The BP station closed here almost a year ago and most other name gas stations disappeared some time ago. Top Tier Gas is a nice concept, but it is hardly available on a regular (pun intended) basis. I struggle to find any premium gas (91 octane, and forget 93) anywhere these days and have considered using octane boosters.

Get notified of new replies

To So much for the "top tier" gasolines...

Old 05-30-2009, 08:28 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
That Yahoo article is so bad it's embarassing. Like much of today's media; they got just enough of the story right, to get it all wrong.

For starters, last time I looked at
www.toptiergas.com
the site clearly stated that all gasoline today has government-required additives. They further stated that the car makers had concluded the government-required minimums were not enough for best engine protection, and called for the Top Tier rating system to get better additive performance. Page 5-6 of my 2006 Owners Manual says the same thing and clearly recommends Top Tier gasoline.

At the end of the paragraph about gas, the article says that the only difference may be a quart of additive in a tanker full of fuel. The operative word is "may", the difference might be more than that. And we're talking about an additive in the gasoline, not something like a 50-50 mix.

Their credit card info is also misleading- I've used a Shell MasterCard for several years that gives me 5% rebates on all Shell gas purchases. No annual fee, and I don't give a hoot about the interest rates because I pay in full each month.

I can't prove whether Top Tier gasoline is really better for your car than other brands, but Yahoo needs to get someone who understands the issues to write their articles.
!!! When are jouranlism schools going to start teaching that half truths are not what the public wants? Or could I be wrong and that IS what they want?
Old 05-30-2009, 10:30 AM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Since 1994 the government has required that detergents be added to all gasoline

Government standards are not good enough for some engines, and allow for deposits to form on the fuel injectors. That is why auto manufactures got together with some oil companies an established the standards for Top Tier Gasolines. The standards for Top Tier Gasolines exceed that of the Government.

I use a Top Tier gasoline in all of my cars.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:43 AM
cranky
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by calemasters
Government standards are not good enough for some engines, and allow for deposits to form on the fuel injectors. That is why auto manufactures got together with some oil companies an established the standards for Top Tier Gasolines. The standards for Top Tier Gasolines exceed that of the Government.

I use a Top Tier gasoline in all of my cars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So much for the "top tier" gasolines...