C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost my roof today!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 09:01 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Michael,

I'm sorry that you are having to deal with this. I'm certain that this will be covered for you. This is a recall, this is more than just a TSB at this point. You did everything right and it is documented to that effect. You may need to be a little diligent in your pursuit (which irritates me) but it will get resolved for you, I'm certain of that.

Please keep me posted.

Paul
Old 05-30-2009, 09:18 AM
glacierbay2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now just imagine how different the situation would be had your imitation James Bond flying roof hurt somebody behind you. You would be safe from legal harm as you did what GM told you to do, but I think GM would be screwed. Some more, I mean. They would have your new roof on that car pronto when given a copy of the police (or coroner's report). And it sounds like it's going to take a sacrificial lamb/dead person to motivate GM to do the right thing by the downtrodden FRC. Let's have a moment of silence for that poor lamb...
Old 05-30-2009, 09:29 AM
2005ArcticWhite
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'18,'20-'21,'24

Sorry to hear of this..
Old 05-30-2009, 09:39 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I have no other thoughts, Mike, except to wish you well on Monday.

It is difficult for me to understand that intelligent people need to be hired to take these phone calls. But they aren't, intelligent or hired, it seems.

Tell us how it turns out on Monday. If it's anything like tulsavette's fluid issue, it may take until Friday.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:39 AM
SnapperDragon
Drifting

Right now, being a GM car owner is not the best thing due to the company's situation.

I look at it like this: I bought the Vette as an enthusiast and all GM had to do is build it and let me buy it. I will try not to let bad dealerships or being hassled for something that is clearly warranty work detract from the luster that is the Vette. It has a lot of character faults but with the help of this forum, I think we are all in a good position to take care of these cars ourselves, if we can.

So, basically, unless you are through with GM and the Vette, you'll just have to wait a bit and get through this.

If this is your DD, then just like any other "accident", the car is now in the shop and you'll need to find another until it gets fixed. Maybe call the insurance company.

In any case, for those people who are not really able to deal with the current GM scenario, I don't blame you for wanting to get out and go with a company that cares about its customers more than reducing costs and sending everything to China.

Sorry, GM, but not going BK in the first place and now being under the guide of the government and going BK anyway IMHO has put you in a worse position, I think, as far as reputation goes. Good luck (and I have a relative working there in the HQ, so good luck to her, too).

Darn it all.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:39 AM
CodyC6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 07blkvette
I have never received a recall notice and how do I know if I should have it done? I have a 2007.
It depends, the early 07's came with the old style roof, mine included, and I don't think I ever recevied a recall either. After the first couple months of 07 production, GM switched to the new roofs. There are several old post on how to determine, but in the meantime try looking between interior roof frame and the fabric headliner, if the color of the top is white/grey it is the new style, if it is black it is the old style.

I believe Talon may have posted some time ago about either production dates, or the color check as well.

Last edited by CodyC6; 06-01-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:50 PM
ClovisFox
Drifting

That sucks. With what GM will be going through on Monday may complicate matters, but like Paul indicated, this is a safety recall issue and should be taken care of. Might be time to give Ralph Nader a call.

Good luck, and keep us informed.

Gene...
Old 05-30-2009, 01:57 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Old 05-30-2009, 02:01 PM
Red Cell
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CodyC6
That is a safety recall, and GM needs to pay to have your roof replaced with the newer design. No question about it. Not a warranty matter. Even though you had your roof replaced once, you still haven't received the updated roof, so you have not had the recall performed yet.

Frustrating I'm sure, but I'm sure it will be taken care of.

Recall was not done.

Red Cell.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:02 PM
greengo
Drifting

Get the glass top...no worries then!
Old 05-30-2009, 02:05 PM
tim87tr
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by greengo
Get the glass top...no worries then!
Been trying to research that today while also researching what glue to fix my color top with

Can you explain how they are constructed differently and there is not a recall on them? I have the plastic top pulled off the framework right now. I've wanted a clear top anyway for some time now.

Last edited by tim87tr; 05-30-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:07 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Had my top skin replaced a few months ago - it was debonding but not gone yet. When the dealer checked it out, they wanted to quaranteen (sp) my car until they could get the parts and replace, but I convinced them to have me sign a waiver to drive it home.

BTW, the job came out great!

Have faith, this will get fixed.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:10 PM
ramrodw30
Pro

Theres one on ebay for $100
Old 05-30-2009, 02:30 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Come Monday send the bill to either the White House or the UAW
Old 05-30-2009, 05:12 PM
raider4251
Pro

Originally Posted by CodyC6
That is a safety recall, and GM needs to pay to have your roof replaced with the newer design. No question about it. Not a warranty matter. Even though you had your roof replaced once, you still haven't received the updated roof, so you have not had the recall performed yet.

Frustrating I'm sure, but I'm sure it will be taken care of.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:42 PM
STEVE MC
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck on Monday Mike, hope everything gets taken care of.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:55 PM
Salt
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good luck Mike, Hope it's resolved in your favor soon. I recently had mine done here on Maui and was worried sick, would it be done correctly, etc. Unlike your situation I found my painted top had a very slight separation, almost like a bubble next to the windshield edge when I was polishing. I took the recall notice I recieved a while back and proceeded to make an appointment at our local GM Dealership here. The whole process took about a week, till the new top was recieved and painted, just in case I asked them to show me the old frame and panel to which they did it was in their shipping dept. on its way back to GM. Oh they had originally stated I would have to leave the car with them till completed, this didn't happen. I'm still hoping that it was done correctly, only time will tell, again Mike sorry for your troubles, glad no one was injured, Good luck with replacement, Salt

Get notified of new replies

To Lost my roof today!

Old 05-30-2009, 09:17 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I thought a safety recall never expired.

Good luck and keep up posted.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:31 PM
AtHomeSoda
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Well....

To the OP... you are no member... sorry.. I was coming home from Las Vegas in Jully... 123 degrees outside... My
factory top de-lamanated 20 miles outside Las Vegas... I live in the OC of CA... I almost died... it was so freaking hot... my scalp was sunburnt.. My wife wore a hat... Flying Roof Club belongs to people who don't latch their roof... and I am not a member... nor are you.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:55 PM
Just Buy It
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

This is another example of how short sighted GM has been for the last 30 years. Accountants ran the copmpany, save a few bucks here and there and we make more profit. My Grandfather worked at a Pontiac plant his whole life and he told me the stories from the 1960's and 70's. I always buy anything American but I have to honest and say other than the Vette, no more Big 3 until they get there act together. That may never happen.

Quick Reply: Lost my roof today!