C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Vette - Lotus Elise SC - Porche Boxter S

Old 06-03-2009, 02:41 AM
KWIKTOY
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C6 Vette - Lotus Elise SC - Porche Boxter S

Okay, I know everyone on this forum is a Vette fan, including me, after all I too made a big commitment when I bought
my 06 3lt z51 vert in Jan. '08 and my Vette is truly an awesome car.
I was looking at a number of sports cars at that time but had always wanted a Vette. I now find myself second guessing my decission and am considering selling my Vette after doing a moderate number of "Show" mods, in favor of the Lotus Elise SC.

Opinions welcomed.....
Old 06-03-2009, 02:56 AM
jetcybertorch
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KWIKTOY
Okay, I know everyone on this forum is a Vette fan, including me, after all I too made a big commitment when I bought
my 06 3lt z51 vert in Jan. '08 and my Vette is truly an awesome car.
I was looking at a number of sports cars at that time but had always wanted a Vette. I now find myself second guessing my decission and am considering selling my Vette after doing a moderate number of "Show" mods, in favor of the Lotus Elise SC.

Opinions welcomed.....
Well, before I got the vette I did look at the Lotus, and also many other cars. My salesman at the Porsche/Lotus dealer said that the Lotus is a fun track/weekend car, but not something you can live with everyday. He said he was talking himself out of a sale, but he didn't want a customer to be unhappy with their purchase. I decided to go to the chevy dealer to purchase a brand new vette and haven't looked back since.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:56 AM
WMark
Melting Slicks

Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

How do you drive your Corvette? Daily? Weekend cruises?

The Lotus is a fantastic track car, but does not have the general utility of a C6. People I know who have owned them are strictly track people and/or like to look unique in Snottsdale. They admit the Lotus is nothing but a toy, and useless as general transportation.

So, if your only driving is on the track, maybe the Lotus. You have a nice set-up, and can enjoy performance along with comfort.

If I won the Lottery, I might have a Lotus in the stable... After about 10 variations of Corvettes!

Depends on what you want to do.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:15 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

with the above on the Lotus, on the other hand the Boxster is very practical with its front and rear storage spaces.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:10 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,918 Likes on 4,804 Posts

The Lotus is a fun car, do not think it would make a good DD or even a car for longer trips. It is go kart fast due to it light weight. I do not think it compares to the Corvette in looks, power, comfort or any other area. But if you want one go for it, better than living with regret and wondering what if or I should have.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:38 AM
designerRob
Safety Car

I don't know much about the Lotus Elise but it seems too small, like a kids car to me. Also, I think it looks like a kit car with it's 'over-the-top' body lines. But if you dig it go for it! You're the one driving it not me.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:56 AM
Pylons
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll echo the comments above...I looked at all 3 cars last year.

The Lotus would be really hard to live with every day. When the roof is on, it's a gymnastics exercise to get in/out (and it's not easy with the roof off either, but more manageable). You're not going to be able to carry much of anything with you either...almost nothing if you have a passenger.

The Boxster is more practical, but not as practical as the 'Vette.

All 3 are fast, but feel very different.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:12 AM
SunsetStroker
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my opinion a C6 is a car for guys while the other 2 are total girl cars.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:24 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SunsetStroker
In my opinion a C6 is a car for guys while the other 2 are total girl cars.
Yeah, I really agree.

The boxster is a joke of a porsche.

While the elise looks really cool and is quite nimble, it is WAY too small.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:40 AM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Sell the Vette and get the Lotus. Keep in touch.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:41 AM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Lotus is a fun car, but I don't think it is a everyday car like the Vette can be.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:54 AM
C6FirstVette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Had both a C6 and Lotus>>

Folks always asked the comparison between the two car...totally different rides... Lotus is a hoot to drive and you feel totally connected with the car (obviously you sit IN the car-literally in the chassis and with not power steering such a direct feel). Great autoX car since you can power oversteer/drift to your heart's delight... with the sport suspension minimal push...more of an over steer car which can get you in trouble if you are not versed in mid engine over steer rides.

Shifter is a bit vague particularly when pushed... although some do this to me it is NOT a DD. As a second fun/track/autoX/cruising car that is pretty hard to beat. Also being a hand built limited production car won't see yourself coming or going....also a trip well worth going is to Hethel England to the Lotus facility. Great guys, truly see how hand built these cars are, run on the track there (somewhat have to get use to right hand cars) etc.

Since I have two Vettes and needed a DD... the Lotus was sold and now have a 08 turbo MINI Cooper S.

Boxster...not a fan of the car, but each to his own... remember the Porsche comes with a premium cost when it comes to maintenance and in fact the #1 reason being cited by Boxster owners for Boxster/Cayman being sold as used cars (or lease return) is the excessively high maintenance costs.

Last edited by C6FirstVette; 06-03-2009 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:05 AM
Mr Guns
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I looked at buying a 2006 Lotus Elise. My wife was a huge fan of the car until she actually sat in one. It has no creature comforts (not even carpet), which is fine for me, but she was no longer impressed. I'm still a fan, but the Vette is better for me because:

1. The Vette has enough storage space to take on a trip
2. The Vette is comfortable enough to take on a trip
3. The Vette is reliable and easier to work on (and oil changes don't cost $300 from the dealer)
4. I love torque, and the Vette has it!

I'm sure the Lotus would be a fun track car!
Old 06-03-2009, 09:23 AM
OrangeCrush007
Instructor

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
Yeah, I really agree.

The boxster is a joke of a porsche.

While the elise looks really cool and is quite nimble, it is WAY too small.

The elise is SMALLER then a miata and has a Toyota 4-banger in it (not a Lotus engine).

If considering a Boxster, get the "S" model. World of difference from a regular Boxster.

I've had vettes and Boxster "S"'s. IMHO, both are great daily drivers and the Boxster has more trunk space (front and rear). The Boxster is a bit more unique then a vette but, it costs more. Maintanence wasn't that big of a cost but, I don't keep a vehicle out of warranty.

The elise was never built to be a daily driver, it was a track car pure and simple (ie. no carpet) and you have to be a grand master of oregamy to get into and especially out of the thing.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:26 AM
C6Corvet
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The vette is a very comfortable car I love it. I bought a Boxster for my wife she loves it. Both are fun cars. The Boxster drives like a dream and handles the twisties with no effort. The mid engine give perfect balance. As for the Lotus it's way too small and with the top on if your a big guy you have to crawl in and out. A member of my vette club races his lotus and love it but he even say's he can't handle driving it on a daily bases too small. What ever you choose they all get your heart racing.Oh yea the maintainence on the boxster isn't bad oil change every 15K runs about 200.00 they go over the entire car.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:29 AM
C6FirstVette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

no creature comforts (not even carpet)...

Ah...to be a true Lotus driver such "creature comforts" are consider blasphemy. Colin Chapman's focus is weight thus carpet, cupholders, AC, radio etc were considered unnecessary weight. When the Lotus Elise/Exige was introduced to the US market, Lotus USA said to make the car marketable must have options for AC, carpet (the one you got in was the more pure track car... might not even had AC with weighs 22 lbs and Lotus purists look at even a 1 lb extra as too much), stereo (which is a delete option)...
Again, there is no comparison between the Vette and Lotus...different intent, market, driver etc. I obviously like Vettes, but with that said if I had a four car garage a Lotus would be there too.

Toyota 4-banger in it (not a Lotus engine).

Not entirely correct... think short block...that is the Toyota part (which is not bad), but the head, intake, header, exhaust, sump, dual oil coolers & ECU is pure Lotus... take a Toyota Celica GTS (same core engine as the one in the Lotus) up to 8700 rpm and see what will happen Can routinely do in the Lotus

Last edited by C6FirstVette; 06-03-2009 at 09:35 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:32 AM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 447 Likes on 225 Posts

The Lotus is a neat car, but the people I know that own them do not put many miles on them per year. People with Boxsters drive them as daily drivers, just as the vette people do.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Vette - Lotus Elise SC - Porche Boxter S

Old 06-03-2009, 02:38 PM
Ron one
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a friend with an Elise and an Excege. His daily driver??? a PT cruiser!
Old 06-03-2009, 02:56 PM
1953 C6
Racer

Default 2008 Boxster S 6-sp vs. 2008 C6 Coupe, Z51, MZ6, NPP

I went from 2005 C6 convertible to 2008 Boxster S to 2008 C6, Z51, MZ6, NPP. Boxster S is the best 300HP car on the planet. But... It's only 300 HP! It all depends how you want to carve up the road. Boxster = razor blade, C6 = chain saw. Your choice...
Old 06-03-2009, 03:06 PM
BrooklynC6
aka allbottle¬hrottle

Location: Brooklyn New York The DVL and the chicken sleep with the fishes....
St. Jude Donor '08

Boxter S - If you dont need alot of space , and place fit and finish and a quality interior above raw power .

Vette - If you like a nice mix of power , daily livability and comfort . You have to live with a subpar interior and slightly sloppier handling charactaristics ( 'Vert )

Lotus - Attention getting track toy .

That about sums it up . You cant go wrong with any of them , depending on your intened porpose .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C6 Vette - Lotus Elise SC - Porche Boxter S