C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Researching a 08 C6 M6 Coupe 3LT

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 08:18 AM
Corvette00Car
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Researching a 08 C6 M6 Coupe 3LT

So far all I've found with the mileage I want and in the price range are optioned with the Z51 suspension. That is OK although for a daily driver a bit stiff but it also has a Tremec gearbox with a .57 final drive (all the gears are higher than standard). The non Z51 comes with a Borg Warner and a .50 final drive. I also notice that the Z06 comes with the Borg Warner and a .50 final drive.

I sure would appreciate thoughts regarding this MZ6 Tremec gearbox option that comes with the Z51 suspension.

If it isn't on the Z06 does that mean it can't handle the same horsepower?

If a higher ratio then the engine turns faster at any given speed. Wouldn't that mean less gas mileage but the EPA milage for each is the same. How can that be.

Thanks I do appreciate all thoughts.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:33 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

the z51 tremec tr6060 is only slightly different, model to model. until you get to the zr1, which this car clearly is not. I wouldn't worry about it handling 505 hp at all.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:52 AM
MDPD23
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the same set up in my '08 Coupe Manual 6 Z51. I am getting less gas mileage than I had in my '05 Coupe Manual 6 Z51. I assume it's because of the gearing. I use it as a DD and get on the average about 21 MPG (city and highway)
Old 10-22-2010, 11:38 AM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette00Car
So far all I've found with the mileage I want and in the price range are optioned with the Z51 suspension. That is OK although for a daily driver a bit stiff but it also has a Tremec gearbox with a .57 final drive (all the gears are higher than standard). The non Z51 comes with a Borg Warner and a .50 final drive. I also notice that the Z06 comes with the Borg Warner and a .50 final drive.

I sure would appreciate thoughts regarding this MZ6 Tremec gearbox option that comes with the Z51 suspension.

If it isn't on the Z06 does that mean it can't handle the same horsepower?

If a higher ratio then the engine turns faster at any given speed. Wouldn't that mean less gas mileage but the EPA milage for each is the same. How can that be.

Thanks I do appreciate all thoughts.
Here's everything you need to know about the '08, '09 TR 6060 MM6 and MZ6 transmissions. http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...008tr6060.html

The bottom line on buying a '08 - '09 used Vette, sounds like your question is Z51 or not. The MZ6 trans makes a Vette a bit quicker, the Z51 suspension does not beat you up, as some here on the forum bear false witness to. What the Z51 option does do is make the car handle better than a F55, and handle and stop better than a base. If you want the softest ride, pick the base, if you want a soft ride and the option to stiffen it up a bit for some better handeling, pick the F55, if you want the quickest, best handling sports car of the three, pick the Z51, there is no bad choice.

As for the torque ratings, either trans can handle way more than they are rated for, ask Callaway.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:40 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

No Borg Warner...all the T56s and 6060s are made by Tremec in Mexico. There is no difference in strength between the Z51 geared trans and the regular one. I am surprised also that the mileage rating is the same for base and Z51 as the base should give better mileage with it's lower rpm at highway speeds. I think that the government does not require different gas mileage tests for all different option configurations. I'm very happy with the 30mpg that I get on the highway with my base Vert...1,740 rpm at 80 mph is a wonderful thing.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:16 PM
lkelliott
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by calmtgguy
Here's everything you need to know about the '08, '09 TR 6060 MM6 and MZ6 transmissions. http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...008tr6060.html

The bottom line on buying a '08 - '09 used Vette, sounds like your question is Z51 or not. The MZ6 trans makes a Vette a bit quicker, the Z51 suspension does not beat you up, as some here on the forum bear false witness to. What the Z51 option does do is make the car handle better than a F55, and handle and stop better than a base. If you want the softest ride, pick the base, if you want a soft ride and the option to stiffen it up a bit for some better handeling, pick the F55, if you want the quickest, best handling sports car of the three, pick the Z51, there is no bad choice.

As for the torque ratings, either trans can handle way more than they are rated for, ask Callaway.
The Z51 suspension package is made for autocrossing. The Z51 package makes the Corvette perform much snappier in turns and the engine rev at higher rpm's in every gear except 4th gear which has a 1:1 ratio gear.

Kent

Get notified of new replies

To Researching a 08 C6 M6 Coupe 3LT

Quick Reply: Researching a 08 C6 M6 Coupe 3LT