C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reverse Lockout Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 12:13 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,012 Likes on 2,171 Posts

Just a FYI, but sometimes the problem is not the reverse solenoid lock out that has burnt up, but the VSS sensor on the top of the diff the problem isntead.
Hence with the car moving at all, the reverse lock out solenoid is engaged, and will not disengage until the car sees itself stopped via the VSS sensor isntead.

So since the reverse solenoid is engage when your driving the car, so it can burn up via mileage, but with the age that some C6's are now getting too, the VSS works off magnetic, and it's magnet can be getting on the weak side isntead.

Hence most of the time you can tell that the VSS is going south, buy the speedo does not move until you are about 10mph, then the speedo will jump from 0 to 10 miles an hour. But on the C6 which will throw a DTC before that point of the speedo jumping, when the VSS start to go south before this point, it not reading Zero back to the car with the car not moving, and this can cause the car to engage the reverse solenoid even with the car standing still instead.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:23 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond
I wanted to thank those who contributed to this thread. This has helped me as well.

Just a note: I ordered the part through Amazon and got the entire solenoid and housing assembled. Not sure if that is the way it has always come, as it seems to indicate many of you just got a solenoid, but mine came ready to go in after removing the 13mm(bolt #9 as mentioned in post above). Was tight, but doable.....
Old post but still applicable. I too just ordered the new complete solenoid from amazon. My questions are: 1. Do you use both hands or just room for one, I have tried to get in there but only with one had unless you bear hug it. 2. I hate all the elect. connectors but how do you unclip the elect. wire harness with one hand? 3. Is there any gear tranny needs to be in to remove and install. 4. Have read others say they had to connect wire harness and turn on ignition on before installing or do it on bench. Thanks for any help.

Quick Reply: Reverse Lockout Solenoid