C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting Conversation With Nissan GTR Owner.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 08:55 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

This thread delivers on insecurity.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:05 PM
Wass
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

I'm the OP...And it didn't start out that way!
Old 06-14-2009, 09:07 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's kind of like bringing up the Yankees on a Red Sox forum.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:08 PM
Rule292
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Wass
I'm the OP...And it didn't start out that way!
Funny thing I had a similar conversation with a 911 owner shortly after I bought my C6.

We both had mutual respect for each other's rides even though we loved what we had.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:16 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mike100
This thread delivers on insecurity.
Americans have a right to a opinion. I have yet to hear Obama comment on this point though and I may be wrong. So for now we are still allowed a opinion here in America. Just like some people may find Rosie Odonnell attractive. Yet, others will not. For me the GTR is the Rosie Odonnell of cars.

I like and love many models of cars. Nowhere is it written if you have passion for automobiles you must agree on all of them. Somehow I along with several members find the GTR either copied, bland, or just plain ugly. This is what they call opinion. Some of you may even have a wife or girlfriend that you think is attractive. Yet, when she walks down the street people turn their heads away. Looks are subject to the eyes of the beholder.

And yet we also have many that click on a thread and then cry about what is on it and saying it's just so sad. Please this is a public forum where people have opinions. What kind of forum would it be if we all agreed? Now that would indeed be sad. Maybe those of you that complain about opinions should take your computers and log on in China. Then come back and tell us how sad opinions are then.

Last edited by Vette Suspension; 06-14-2009 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:23 PM
turmat
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Tzzird
I try my best to resist the temptation to respond to threads like this typically, but I have to agree with what you're saying. This is my one pet peeve about the corvette forum.
It was not always this way. Sad.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:28 PM
LS3 Mike
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by beden1
I have to disagree with your comment about how the 'kids" running around in their "riced out" cars are delusional.

My son drives an '04 Subaru WRX that we have modified. I have become extremely impressed with a couple of their web site forums, and how much these "kids" have learned about their cars. These guys and girls have their passion for tweaking their cars down to a science.

They also impressed me with how open and ready they are to help anyone else who is in need of assistance, which fortunately, is similar to the Corvette Forum. But, most of them are also just into cars no matter what flavor. I have never had anyone on their forums say anything but positive things about my ZO6.

Well what a coincidence. I park my 2008 Corvette next to my 2004 WRX. Mine has also been heavily worked over, especially in the suspension department in the name of getting around the autox course faster. I learned a ton from the Suby forums and have done all my suspension work myself. I may also be referred to as a kid since I'm only 25.

That being said thank you for calling me out. In my attempt to tell someone to open their automotive mind I showed that even mine is partially closed. Unfortunately I just have too much fun bashing worked Civics.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:35 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by LS3 Mike
Well what a coincidence. I park my 2008 Corvette next to my 2004 WRX. Mine has also been heavily worked over, especially in the suspension department in the name of getting around the autox course faster. I learned a ton from the Suby forums and have done all my suspension work myself. I may also be referred to as a kid since I'm only 25.

That being said thank you for calling me out. In my attempt to tell someone to open their automotive mind I showed that even mine is partially closed. Unfortunately I just have too much fun bashing worked Civics.
Great points.

I tell you what is really sad. When a open mind to others is only when you agree with them.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:37 PM
LS3 Mike
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vette Suspension
Americans have a right to a opinion.
FACT!

I will now digress as I have jacked the OPs thread. Many apologies.

The Vette is and always will be my favorite car. However, if a car goes like stink, burns corners, and looks fast even when sitting still, I probably love it too.

I tell you what is really sad. When a open mind to others is only when you agree with them.
I have officially been put in check for the evening.

Last edited by LS3 Mike; 06-14-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:44 PM
Deserteagle83
Bigger, Blacker, Faster
Support Corvetteforum!

Americans have a right to a opinion.
And we surely have yours... We got it... You think the GTR is ugly... OK... AND???

To address the OP... isn't it cool how Japan and America can go at a problem totally different (pushrod v-8 / twin turbo 6) but in the end wind up with something so similar. (and ugly according to Vette Suspension)
I kinda think that some of the younger crowd will go the route of twin turbo'ing the new 300hp v-6 camaro's. It sure would be interesting!!!

Last edited by Deserteagle83; 06-14-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:48 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Deserteagle83
And we surely have your... We got it... You think the GTR is ugly... OK... AND???

To address the OP... isn't it cool how Japan and America can go at a problem totally different (pushrod v-8 / twin turbo 6) but in the end wind up with something so similar. (and ugly according to Vette Suspension)
I kinda think that some of the younger crowd will go the route of twin turbo'ing the new 300hp v-6 camaro's. It sure would be interesting!!!
And??? it's selling well below invoice unlike the ZR1 at about 15k over. Yet, another flash in the pan.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:57 PM
Deserteagle83
Bigger, Blacker, Faster
Support Corvetteforum!

And??? it's selling well below invoice unlike the ZR1 at about 15k over. Yet, another flash in the pan.
This has nothing to do with demand. And believe it or not, the ZR1 selling for 15k over invoice is actually hurting the brand more than it is helping. GM needs to sell cars right now, not have them sit on car lots because greedy stealers are holding out for more money. In any case, then the GTR was FIRST released, it sold AT invoice. I don't have the numbers to prove it, but i would venture to say that Nissan has sold many more GTR's than chevrolet has ZR1's. Not to mention that out of the gate the ZR1 is 40k+ more expensive. Now when the GTR V-spec comes out some time next year... That will be closer to the selling price of a ZR1... In fact, i believe it is supposed to go for something like 160k.
But it doesn't matter to me... I'm a car guy. I like em both... But the ingenuity nod goes to Nissan. How in the he** did they get a car that is that big to go that fast???
And for the record... I don't think the GTR is ugly. In fact, my buddy that owns one (the GTR that you see in my pics) also owns a Buell 1125CR. I think they complement each other nicely. (BTW i'll be getting a black 1125CR to match my vette come next week)
Old 06-14-2009, 09:57 PM
LS3 Mike
Instructor

That is what I loved about working safety crew at a road course. So many different cars and different ways to go fast. One of the best races I got to watch was between a 911 and two Mustangs. To entirely different machines running shoulder to shoulder was a blast.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:04 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

This has nothing to do with demand. And believe it or not, the ZR1 selling for 15k over invoice is actually hurting the brand more than it is helping. GM needs to sell cars right now, not have them sit on car lots because greedy stealers are holding out for more money. In any case, then the GTR was FIRST released, it sold AT invoice. I don't have the numbers to prove it, but i would venture to say that Nissan has sold many more GTR's than chevrolet has ZR1's. Not to mention that out of the gate the ZR1 is 40k+ more expensive. Now when the GTR V-spec comes out some time next year... That will be closer to the selling price of a ZR1... In fact, i believe it is supposed to go for something like 160k.
But it doesn't matter to me... I'm a car guy. I like em both... But the ingenuity nod goes to Nissan. How in the he** did they get a car that is that big to go that fast???
And for the record... I don't think the GTR is ugly. In fact, my buddy that owns one (the GTR that you see in my pics) also owns a Buell 1125CR. I think they complement each other nicely. (BTW i'll be getting a black 1125CR to match my vette come next week)
Holy Cow as Harry Carray would have said...Wow what are you doing here?

So a car guy must like both cars then?

Here ya go pal. It's right up your alley. Have at it. http://www.gtrforums.com/

Last edited by Vette Suspension; 06-14-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:12 PM
Deserteagle83
Bigger, Blacker, Faster
Support Corvetteforum!

So a car guy must like both cars then?
Nope... Like what you want... But the performance is UNDENIABLE!!!

Notice, I said i was a car guy... Not a corvette guy. My eyes can see past the nose of my C6... Believe it or not, i actually considered purchasing other cars before i bought my vette. whoa I must be a sinner in your book. lol

Below is the list of vehicles that i considered before i bought my C6.

SRT-10 dodge ram
SRT-10 viper
Mercedes CLS
Pontiac G8
Z06

They are all different, but the one thing that they all have in common is performance.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:17 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Nope... Like what you want... But the performance is UNDENIABLE!!!

Notice, I said i was a car guy... Not a corvette guy. My eyes can see past the nose of my C6... Believe it or not, i actually considered purchasing other cars before i bought my vette. whoa I must be a sinner in your book. lol

Below is the list of vehicles that i considered before i bought my C6.

SRT-10 dodge ram
SRT-10 viper
Mercedes CLS
Pontiac G8
Z06

They are all different, but the one thing that they all have in common is performance.
As a car guy myself I appreciate a car that is fast and great looking. To combine the two is the pinnacle of automotive success. Anyone can make a car fast. Heck, you see kids with no education outside of 6th grade make a car fast. But, when you combine looks and speed, that is a thing of beauty. Whether in person, or in pictures.

Success for the Vette you ask? How about 1.5 million sold? Not bad for a 2 seat car with a 55 year legacy.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:37 AM
Wass
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

To address the OP... isn't it cool how Japan and America can go at a problem totally different (pushrod v-8 / twin turbo 6) but in the end wind up with something so similar.
Yes, both are great performance cars. I looked closely at a few GTR's when I visited a dealer in Pahrump NV. Personally, I think the GTR is a good looking car...But the Corvette is better looking. It's much rarer than the Corvette, and that will bring a lot of attention to it's style. As for performance, the GTR is fantastic...There's no denying that. And that make it a for me.

Given a choice...I'll take the Z06.

Get notified of new replies

To Interesting Conversation With Nissan GTR Owner.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:39 AM
NormWild
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You are going off of youtube, and i am going off of experience. Have you even seen a GTR, let alone driven or ridden in one? I am no GTR fanboy, hell I OWN A C6! With that being said, opinions are like... Well you know. And experience a definite lesson teacher. All I can say is go out to your local track day, and find out for yourself.
Uhh, my post is based on "track" experience. I can assure you that properly driven bolt on C6 will do quite well, especially one running high 11s and trapping in the high teens. I can also assure you that they get small pretty quick right now.
If you are trying to run GTRs from a dig with RFs than than of course there will be issues.

Last edited by NormWild; 06-15-2009 at 08:51 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:52 AM
Shineshop
Instructor

Originally Posted by jozGS4
Sometimes the DRIVER mod is the most important and it's cool that car enthusiasts can have good conversations without them turning into pissing contests and bench racing.
Both cars are pretty damn cool.
Pulled up to the gas pump in my vette yesterday and a late model viper pulled up behind me. As I passed his car on the way in to pay I told him I liked his car and we had a nice chat for a couple of minutes about our cars. Not sure why certain guys have to be dicks. I even passed a young guy driving a new Cobra mustang yesterday and he and his passenger double taked as I passed and gave me a big smile. I gave him a thumbs up and we both laughed.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:10 AM
LS3 Mike
Instructor

Originally Posted by Shineshop
Pulled up to the gas pump in my vette yesterday and a late model viper pulled up behind me. As I passed his car on the way in to pay I told him I liked his car and we had a nice chat for a couple of minutes about our cars. Not sure why certain guys have to be dicks. I even passed a young guy driving a new Cobra mustang yesterday and he and his passenger double taked as I passed and gave me a big smile. I gave him a thumbs up and we both laughed.
I don't get it either. Other day I had a Maserati come blowing me on the highway so I accelerated up and paced along behind him by about 8 car lengths. When I got close to my exit I accelerated up next to him to give him a thumbs up and a wave. The guy looked at me and then looked away. Apparently if your vehicle costs more than three times the vehicle next to you, you are exempt from returning a wave. Maybe he was just feeling bad that the 'cheap' car next to his Italian stallion could out accelerate and outrun his portly sports car.

Quick Reply: Interesting Conversation With Nissan GTR Owner.