C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting Conversation With Nissan GTR Owner.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 12:19 AM
cerino2000
Le Mans Master

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

What the hell. I'm bored.

I have owned a Z06 and spent considerable time behind the wheel of a GTR. They are VERY different cars. I saw a comment about a drivers race somewhere in here. The thing is, it's a drivers race for the sake of the Z06. What I mean by that is of the 60 plus cars that I have owned, the Z is one of the most difficult (probably THE most difficult) car to launch. Not the case for the GTR. My grandma could get in a GTR and knock off mid 11 second passes in it if she didn't pass out from the G force. It is ridiculous quick. It pulls so damn hard it screwed up my neck for three days when I reached for the G-tech on a launch. Without doubt one of the funnest cars ever. It never fails to put a smile on my face every time I am in it. That car is absolutely the real deal. If you ever drive one or even ride in one for that matter you will have a totally different outlook on it. Definitely different and a deadly consistent car. If you don't have your game on in the vette, you will lose. Period.

That said...it's not quite my flavor and I would chose the Z over it but if you have to go up against one, you should absolutely be worried about it. One mess up on your launch and you are toast.

Like I said, it is a VERY different car compared to the vette. Just about an apples to oranges comparison really.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:48 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I don't think people are saying that it is not a worthy competitor, most people are saying it is just UGLY. There are just no lines of the car that look interesting. Inside looks like a PS game. Corvette and Vipers to me definitely look interesting, 911 is interesting even though I call it a Beetle at times, the GTR is just ugly. Ricers think it is the best thing ever.

There was a GTR at a local car show and it had zero people around the car, as was the same at the auto show. At the auto show they even had the GTR on a big stage.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:22 AM
yojack1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been lucky enough to go on a few long trips with this Gun Metal GTR. The owner has let me drive it several times on those runs and hit some digits I can't believe I did. I stand back in awe and I kid not, everytime we stop and stretch a least one or more people stop as if they just saw a UFO. I'm not sure if a ZR1 would be as disruptive, after all it still looks like, well kinda like a souped up Vette.
When your riding in a GTR you better be smiling because your picture is going to be taken quite often. The only problem I have with the interior is, the seats are a little hard (explains why you have to get out and stretch more often) and you look around and say, how can this car be so friggen fast.

What may seem bland or ugly when parked becomes what I call, " The meanest, nastiest Tiger Shark" you have ever seen in your rear view mirror. When I'm at full throttle in my 08 C6, that sucker glides past me with sounds like jet turbines. The steering and brakes feel like that of a much smaller sports car. I've never felt so stable and at ease driving a car really and I mean for me really fast.

Whatever one thinks, it's one hell of a car and I sure wouldn't mind parking one right next to my Vette.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:44 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

What is he trying to pick up with that attenna? The Space Shuttle! Nice pics but I still don't find the car interesting. You must be driving a different style Vette because people are taking pictures of mine frequently. It does look like a 350Z from the side just not as smooth.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:02 AM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by danl72
Both cars are nice but different.
this is true, one thing they have in common is heritage, the vette is an american icon and the gtr is godzilla to the japanese i respect it for being a rolling legend like my vette
Old 06-14-2009, 02:12 AM
yojack1
Racer

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
What is he trying to pick up with that attenna? The Space Shuttle! Nice pics but I still don't find the car interesting. You must be driving a different style Vette because people are taking pictures of mine frequently. It does look like a 350Z from the side just not as smooth.
As you can tell , I love driving with groups of sports cars thru Utah. Fantastic scenery, great roads. Everyone uses CBs on those long multi-day runs. The dudes in space find the conversation entertaining too!
Old 06-14-2009, 02:13 AM
60av8tor
Racer

Originally Posted by cerino2000
What the hell. I'm bored.

I have owned a Z06 and spent considerable time behind the wheel of a GTR. They are VERY different cars. I saw a comment about a drivers race somewhere in here. The thing is, it's a drivers race for the sake of the Z06. What I mean by that is of the 60 plus cars that I have owned, the Z is one of the most difficult (probably THE most difficult) car to launch. Not the case for the GTR. My grandma could get in a GTR and knock off mid 11 second passes in it if she didn't pass out from the G force. It is ridiculous quick. It pulls so damn hard it screwed up my neck for three days when I reached for the G-tech on a launch. Without doubt one of the funnest cars ever. It never fails to put a smile on my face every time I am in it. That car is absolutely the real deal. If you ever drive one or even ride in one for that matter you will have a totally different outlook on it. Definitely different and a deadly consistent car. If you don't have your game on in the vette, you will lose. Period.

That said...it's not quite my flavor and I would chose the Z over it but if you have to go up against one, you should absolutely be worried about it. One mess up on your launch and you are toast.

Like I said, it is a VERY different car compared to the vette. Just about an apples to oranges comparison really.
Pretty much says it all. GTR is VERY easy to drive well. Vettes take practice, much more skill need to drive as effectively
(curves and straights). Everyone is 'The Stig' in a GTR.
Should the Vette dwindle into a V6 Twin Turbo'd , eco friendly, made in (fill in the blank), product of bankruptcy; I'll have to get a GTR. Until then however.....
Old 06-14-2009, 02:15 AM
HemiKLR
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter99
unless I see the GTR badge on the car I always think it is a 350Z I think they would have been better off giving it some more unique styling. Yeah I know the C6Z06 is not a far cry from the C6 but Gm didn't set out to make it a different car they basically improved the base C6. Nissan called the GTR a supercar and while it may be performance wise I think styling wise they missed the boat. I just expected something more exotic looking. Of course I guess that could be said about the ZR1 but again...a step up from a Z06 and from a cost standpoint developmentally it made sense for GM. Not that it matters now
I always think they are those Altima coupe's. Just change out the tails.

Might just be me though...Cool cars but would take a Vette any day of the week over them.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:30 AM
HuskerBullet
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Granted, I haven't seen one of these on the freeways just yet, but with the mods and having a coefficient of drag of .286 (for a Coupe), the Vette is still in a higher class......Nissan's are no threat.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:03 AM
Deserteagle83
Bigger, Blacker, Faster
Support Corvetteforum!

I can assure you than a C6 with a cam and gears is no match for a GTR.
I've always loved corvettes, and a buddy of mine has always loved nissan Z cars and skylines. We both bought our cars the same day, and i have logged many miles behind each steering wheel. I love my vette t to death, but it has eaten GTR dust many a time. Mybuddy just recently had his transmission retuned my Nissan, and although the official numbers say that itlost a few tenths in the 1/4 mile, it feels just as fast, and is still more than capable of Killing a c6, or Z06. What the Z06 guys fail to realize is that the GTR gets a perfect launch everytime, it also has all wheel drive, so it is pulling hard from the start. A C6/Z06 driver has the get the launch perfect, and then even with a perfect launch there are only two tires putting power down, so max HP won't be able to be applied right off the line. In any case, they are both great cars!

Old 06-14-2009, 06:20 AM
Deserteagle83
Bigger, Blacker, Faster
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by metal
What is the real selling price of the GTR and did I not read that the ZR1 is lots faster?
The GTR sells for mid to low 80k. And yes the ZR1 is a lot faster... However the ZR1 is about 40k more expensive, and it also does NOT sell for sticker. I think greedy dealers jacking prices up are part of GM's problem. My budyy ordered his GTR 2 years before it hit US soil, and he paid exactly what he was told he would pay. There was no sticker gauging because of the hype. I really hated how chevy dealers gouged the price of Z06's. In all honesty that is why i own a C6 instead of a Z06. PRICE GAUGIING!!!

Originally Posted by CrystalRacer
The GTR price was recently raised by about $10,000. It now STARTS at $82k for the base model incl. $1000 destination charge, assuming you want the OPTIONAL $280 floor mats...

(though, all the UGLY is still included free of charge...)

The dealers around NC are getting right at sticker now - no more ridiculous '$20k-40k market adjustments'. And most GTR's seem to be sticking around showrooms at least 3-6 months before being sold for that price. Just goes to show that even heavily-hyped, limited production cars from non-US manufacturers are not selling well right now.

The dealers in my neck of the woods were advertising the GTR for sticker price from the beginning. I think their lack of greedhelped the company out.

Originally Posted by cerino2000
My grandma could get in a GTR and knock off mid 11 second passes in it if she didn't pass out from the G force.
I think that is what most vette owners dont realize. It's almost fail safe with the GTR. It is going to go fast EVERY TIME.
Step 1= Hold brake and, stomp gas
Step 2= Let revs equalize. (before the tranny re-tune it was around 4500k
Step 3= Let go of brake while still mashing gas, and try not to get whiplash.

11 second runs are that easy.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:31 AM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

My neighbor recently traded his GTS Viper for the GTR. My 550 rwhp C6 would really embarass his Viper. The GTR is faster. Just not fast enough.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:43 AM
ALVetteFan
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

The GTR is a nice car, but it doesn't look nearly as good as a Corvette.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:45 AM
RadarP3C
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by EuroRod
My neighbor recently traded his GTS Viper for the GTR. My 550 rwhp C6 would really embarass his Viper. The GTR is faster. Just not fast enough.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:07 AM
garytucker
Racer

I have to admit a love for the GTR and the Z. I guess it was the fact my first car was a 280Z...not the Zx crap they pulled later that made it a "touring car". My memories are of a more purpose-built car that was a great car for its day. I've been looking at the Nismo versions of the 350 and now the 370...pretty nice, but not 'vette performance. The GTR on the other hand...pretty exciting to see.

I respect sports cars of all types. They may not be as fast or handle as good, but they all have their purpose. My buddy's old bug-eye sprite was not fast by any means, but it was a blast to drive!

Our local Nissan dealer tried telling me that the Nissan rep told them that if they were caught selling the GTR for less than 100k they would lose their franchise. Needless to say...someone else got to buy the GTR and we ordered a new vette! I saw the GTR from the local dealer the other day on the road...couldn't tell if it was someone I knew, but I'm curious what they ended up paying.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:55 AM
NormWild
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Deserteagle83
I can assure you than a C6 with a cam and gears is no match for a GTR.
Where do you guys come up with this stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O7Xf0IPiiM
Old 06-14-2009, 11:24 AM
Deserteagle83
Bigger, Blacker, Faster
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Beatitt
Where do you guys come up with this stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O7Xf0IPiiM
You are going off of youtube, and i am going off of experience. Have you even seen a GTR, let alone driven or ridden in one? I am no GTR fanboy, hell I OWN A C6! With that being said, opinions are like... Well you know. And experience a definite lesson teacher. All I can say is go out to your local track day, and find out for yourself.

Get notified of new replies

To Interesting Conversation With Nissan GTR Owner.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:51 AM
LS3 Mike
Instructor

I'm a guy who was able to point out any generation of Corvette on the road. However, I am also an all around car guy and a mechanical engineer so I love and respect any well engineered vehicle. I love my 2008 coupe. Its amazing driving around in a car that's faster than probably about 98% of all the other cars on the road and still get amazing fuel economy. And the fact that this performance comes from a pushrod V8 is great too.

However, my other car is a 2004 WRX. Totally different car and yet equally as impressive. That is a car that runs respectable times around a dry road course and when the rain starts to fall I can start picking off cars with much more power. And when the snow starts falling; most other sports cars run and hide while the WRX starts begging to go play.

The GTR is equally as impressive of a car. It would be great to park a GTR next to my Vette. The car is insanely fast and has a computer smart enough to make the most ham fisted of drivers look like a hero. I prefer to row my own gears so the auto only tranny takes away from some of the GTR's enthusiast appeal.

If I had to pick a car from the three main automotive continents I would have to go with the America: Vette, Europe: 911 GT3, and Asia: GTR. Very different cars but equally impressive to a true car guy.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:50 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Come on one of you GTR fans at some point have to tell us it looks better in person.
I have seen that a thousand times. But, it looks so much better in person then in pictures.

Just don't say that about your wife or girlfriend.

I love the GTR Altima comparison. Spot on with that one. The car is destined to be just another Asian sports car with absolutely no lasting legacy at all.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:05 PM
HarleyB
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Does using the GT-R's launch control still void the powertrain warranty? I don't believe the LC coming on the '10 MN6 GS does.

Quick Reply: Interesting Conversation With Nissan GTR Owner.