C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting Conversation With Nissan GTR Owner.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 10:10 AM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd like to drive a GTR before making any opinion about performance to compare.
It's really apples and bananas with the Corvette.

In my opinion of the appearance of the few I've seen have a reminder / hint of old school Datsun in them....remember the Datsun 210? The ones that came here in butt-ugly colors like blue exterior/green interior?
Old 06-15-2009, 11:43 AM
CandyVette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own and drive a regular C6 and have ridden in the back seat of a GTR (gave husband a birthday present where he could drive the GTR, Lambo and Aston Martin). I've also ridden in a Z06, with Johnny O at the wheel in Florida at a Chevy event. I've never ridden in a ZR1 but hope to someday. Anyway, I'm telling you all this so that you know I've ridden in both cars so I can tell you the difference in feel. And I absolutely HATE to say this, but the GTR is quicker off the line than the C6 or the Z06. That dang thing is unreal scary fast and sticks to the corners like it has glue on the tires. But, it also has this nasty turbo whine that I could never get used to, and the dash absolutely sucks, with its hospital-like heart monitor gauge readings. I also don't have to tell you how ugly the exterior is. But, until I can ride in a ZR1 and see how fast it is off the line, I have to begrudingly tell you that the GTR takes off like a freakin' rocket from a standstill.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:37 PM
SnoopyCool
Advanced

Personally, I kind of like the GTR looks... I prefer the sleek lines of a Corvette, but there's something to be said for a big aggressive-looking car. It looks like an Altima with a badass body kit, sure, but the badass part is still there.

I'm not exactly a fan of the import scene and the turbo this and blow off valve that mentality of it, but my best pal is a fellow die hard car guy who leans to the Japanese side of things, so we get a lot of comparison conversations. Basically, if he could afford a 45k car, he'd get a new base Vette (as would I). If he could afford 80k, he'd be in a GTR. If I could afford 80k, I'd be in a Z06 with some healthy modification. I think we'd both have a blast, and neither of us would have a warranty after a few months.

No matter what you think of the GTR, you have to admire the tech in that thing. It's like a rolling showpiece for the future of car performance. Horsepower will always be king, but the queen that runs things from the bedroom will soon be the secondary systems.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:20 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by LS3 Mike
I don't get it either. Other day I had a Maserati come blowing me on the highway so I accelerated up and paced along behind him by about 8 car lengths. When I got close to my exit I accelerated up next to him to give him a thumbs up and a wave. The guy looked at me and then looked away. Apparently if your vehicle costs more than three times the vehicle next to you, you are exempt from returning a wave. Maybe he was just feeling bad that the 'cheap' car next to his Italian stallion could out accelerate and outrun his portly sports car.
The same thing happened to me when I passed two Bentleys and a F430. The drivers didn't even know I was there until I got in front of them. They were just chatting on their cell phone with the stupid ear piece. Of course the F430 didn't like it too much as I took a picture of him in my rear view mirror right before I got off the interstate.

I love performance cars also but I must say the GT-R isn't that appealing to look at or even from the driver's view. I must give credit to Nissan for their marketing though. Put a Nissan driver in the car, on a track built for the GT-R in a preproduction model. Then have the same driver try his hardest in the other two competing cars. Also use a system that would make the warranty worthless.

Got to love their V version, double the price for 5 more HP.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:31 PM
djfullshred
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Vette Suspension
The GTR could be the fastest and best car in the world. But, it is d*** ugly. To me what is the point of having a fast Ugly car? Better off buying a VW bug and spending $$$ to mod it.

At some point someone will come along and say it looks better in person then in pictures. I have seen that a thousand times stated about the GTR. That would be like showing someone a picture of your wife or girlfriend and saying but she looks better in person.
OK, since you mention it...I thought the GTR was ugly when I only saw it in pictures. When I walked around one looking at it from all angles, I came away with a changed opinion, and do think they look cool. I think it has a lot to do with not seeing how the shape works well for the car's dimensions when I only saw it in photos.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:34 PM
djfullshred
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CandyVette
I own and drive a regular C6 and have ridden in the back seat of a GTR (gave husband a birthday present where he could drive the GTR, Lambo and Aston Martin). I've also ridden in a Z06, with Johnny O at the wheel in Florida at a Chevy event. I've never ridden in a ZR1 but hope to someday. Anyway, I'm telling you all this so that you know I've ridden in both cars so I can tell you the difference in feel. And I absolutely HATE to say this, but the GTR is quicker off the line than the C6 or the Z06. That dang thing is unreal scary fast and sticks to the corners like it has glue on the tires. But, it also has this nasty turbo whine that I could never get used to, and the dash absolutely sucks, with its hospital-like heart monitor gauge readings. I also don't have to tell you how ugly the exterior is. But, until I can ride in a ZR1 and see how fast it is off the line, I have to begrudingly tell you that the GTR takes off like a freakin' rocket from a standstill.
Yes, these cars were tuned to launch fast...so much so that the rear ends were breaking on them, and they retuned their launch control to prevent more cars from being damaged by owners.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:41 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djfullshred
OK, since you mention it...I thought the GTR was ugly when I only saw it in pictures. When I walked around one looking at it from all angles, I came away with a changed opinion, and do think they look cool. I think it has a lot to do with not seeing how the shape works well for the car's dimensions when I only saw it in photos.
I have seen that a thousand times on this and other forums. Just don't even think about saying something like that about your wife, girlfriend or both.

I have a feeling a husband or boyfriend may be in a bit of a spot saying my girl looks better in person then in pictures.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:05 PM
Leprkon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Deserteagle83
As far as the "no lasting legacy" comment... You apparently never do research on cars other than chevy's. The Skyline has been a legend/icon for quite some time now. When the corvette was "just another sports car" the Skyline was a world beater. As a matter of fact, pristine 1990's model skylines command a price tag similar to what the current one does new!!!
the Skyline was only a "world beater" because Vettes had been banned from the track...

"In 1988, the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) outlawed all Showroom Stock Corvettes from its racing events. The reason? The Vettes had not been beaten in three years of racing against the world's best sports cars, and their competitors complained so loudly that the sanctioning body finally had to act."

(one will note this was prior to the KOTH)

http://www.vetteweb.com/events/vemp_...nge/index.html
Old 06-15-2009, 09:09 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Leprkon
the Skyline was only a "world beater" because Vettes had been banned from the track...

"In 1988, the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) outlawed all Showroom Stock Corvettes from its racing events. The reason? The Vettes had not been beaten in three years of racing against the world's best sports cars, and their competitors complained so loudly that the sanctioning body finally had to act."

(one will note this was prior to the KOTH)

http://www.vetteweb.com/events/vemp_...nge/index.html
Great info.

Easy to be a world beater when you exclude others.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:11 PM
Rule292
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by CandyVette
... I have to begrudingly tell you that the GTR takes off like a freakin' rocket from a standstill.
Don't let those Jeep SRT8 guys hear you say that about the GTR!!!

To me, the GTR looks too much like the old IMSA cars of the seventies and eighties.

Not hating it or talking it down, the GTR is an awesome car with a boatload of technology.

For me, just like the shape of the Viper, it just ain't my cup of tea.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:08 PM
LS3 Mike
Instructor

I have seen that a thousand times on this and other forums. Just don't even think about saying something like that about your wife, girlfriend or both.

I have a feeling a husband or boyfriend may be in a bit of a spot saying my girl looks better in person then in pictures.
In a moment of stupidity I made a remark of this nature to a buddy. Good thing that he knows that I mean well and sometimes forget to turn my brain filter on in the morning.

I have to agree that the GTR looks better in person. I never thought the car looked bad when I saw it in the magazines but when I got to see the first one I was much more impressed. I was a fan of the R34 Skyline GTR and think it looks better than the new car. It is a much more simplistic design but its clean shape is what wins me over. I do think that my WRX looks good though too so you can see where I'm coming from.

The Vette on the other hand, especially the C6 looks good in print or 3D form. I haven't seen too many camera angles that make the C6 look boring.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:18 PM
inthehunt2
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jozGS4
Sometimes the DRIVER mod is the most important and it's cool that car enthusiasts can have good conversations without them turning into pissing contests and bench racing.
Both cars are pretty damn cool.
Nice to see enthusiasts get together!
Old 06-16-2009, 12:09 AM
siffert
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by djfullshred
I agree. They look so much better in person. Quick too, they blow off stock and most modded C6's and even a handful for the Z06 for those who cant launch them. At MIR this spring at a private track rental, there were five of them. The stock ones were running 11.5's and 11.6's all day long and one modded one (tune & CAI) hit 10.85 @127 mph. Here are pics from that day's rental which included Vipers, Vettes, GTR's, BMW's etc.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244224

Last edited by siffert; 06-16-2009 at 12:15 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:19 AM
SpiralCoupe
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by turmat
It was not always this way. Sad.
I agree totally. And it keeps getting worse. If you say anything good about any other car the insecurities come flying. Hell, I've owned em all, MB, BMW, and came damn close to a 911 turbo last week. But you know what? I bought the GTR instead. Same performance for half the price. I like it and it has nothing to do with my Z06 or any other vette. It's just a car and I enjoy them all!
Old 06-16-2009, 01:29 AM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SpiralCoupe
I agree totally. And it keeps getting worse. If you say anything good about any other car the insecurities come flying. Hell, I've owned em all, MB, BMW, and came damn close to a 911 turbo last week. But you know what? I bought the GTR instead. Same performance for half the price. I like it and it has nothing to do with my Z06 or any other vette. It's just a car and I enjoy them all!
We should all agree on everything. If you like I car I like it to. Heck, I owned every car made just like you, and I want everyone to know just like you do. Now I'm cool just like you, I'm sure you agree. We should all agree on everything.

And if anyone dares not agree us they are automatically insecure. Can we agree? And I agree they are just cars and we should agree on all of them and enjoy all of them. After all who needs opinions when we can all just agree?

Last edited by Vette Suspension; 06-16-2009 at 02:10 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:19 AM
NormWild
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

We should all agree on everything. If you like I car I like it to. Heck, I owned every car made just like you, and I want everyone to know just like you do. Now I'm cool just like you, I'm sure you agree. We should all agree on everything.

And if anyone dares not agree us they are automatically insecure. Can we agree? And I agree they are just cars and we should agree on all of them and enjoy all of them. After all who needs opinions when we can all just agree?

We can hate them all we want, but those times are stout. I just wish there was more of them on the road, it would be a great rivalry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXIh4ce8WCI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKqZYbUoxIo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqcHzElLAzM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnjciCk-zks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V99RknbrTlg
2007 z06 vs modded GTR:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huMmp2C7nz8

Last edited by NormWild; 06-16-2009 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:01 AM
LS3 Mike
Instructor

Everyone keeps citing 1/4 mile times. Lets talk about what these cars were built for. I'm talking road courses. Anyone who's run across lap times for these cars at NASA or SCCA time trials that info would be awesome. Good to see what these cars will do on some US tracks in the hands of non professional drivers.

Here are some Nurburgring lap times:

ZR1 7:26.4: GM test. Video confirmed. Stock tires, no mods except added safety equipment.

2010 GTR 7:27.7: Nissan test.

2009 GTR 7:29.03: Nissan test. Stock tires. Video confirmed

2008 911 GT2 7:32.02 : Porsche test. R-compound tires

2005 Z06 7:42.99: GM test. Motor trend confirmed

I mentioned who performed the test because the ring doesn't have an official timing and scoring. When companies come to test their cars they have to time them on their own. This has caused some mud slinging recently between Porsche and Nissan. Both companies claim that the other company is not using stock cars for their tests and say that when they test the competitors car with their drivers they can't get close to the claimed times.

Get notified of new replies

To Interesting Conversation With Nissan GTR Owner.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:12 AM
NormWild
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by LS3 Mike
Everyone keeps citing 1/4 mile times. Lets talk about what these cars were built for. I'm talking road courses. Anyone who's run across lap times for these cars at NASA or SCCA time trials that info would be awesome. Good to see what these cars will do on some US tracks in the hands of non professional drivers.

Here are some Nurburgring lap times:

ZR1 7:26.4: GM test. Video confirmed. Stock tires, no mods except added safety equipment.

2010 GTR 7:27.7: Nissan test.

2009 GTR 7:29.03: Nissan test. Stock tires. Video confirmed

2008 911 GT2 7:32.02 : Porsche test. R-compound tires

2005 Z06 7:42.99: GM test. Motor trend confirmed

I mentioned who performed the test because the ring doesn't have an official timing and scoring. When companies come to test their cars they have to time them on their own. This has caused some mud slinging recently between Porsche and Nissan. Both companies claim that the other company is not using stock cars for their tests and say that when they test the competitors car with their drivers they can't get close to the claimed times.
Porsche might have an argument

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q83ZW...eature=related
Old 06-16-2009, 11:11 AM
Wass
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

We won't all agree on whether or not we like the way the GTR looks. But I think we all agree that the car is one hell of a performance car.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:30 AM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

well with your 4:10 gears he would have mopped the floor with you in any type of race that involved top end

Quick Reply: Interesting Conversation With Nissan GTR Owner.