C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the GM color matched license plate frame legal in Texas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 09:26 AM
Jeffrey's Vette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by haljensen
Google mid america motorworks and put in part number 634-072, that'll give you a picture and listing of colors.
Hi,

Thanks for the idea and part number. I'm going to buy one.

Best regards,
Jeffrey
Old 07-22-2009, 09:28 AM
Jeffrey's Vette
Racer

Originally Posted by TexasC6
I belv the "cover" law was repealed here in tx. I will call my dps buddy and reply......
Hi,

Thanks, I'd love to hear what your buddy says.

Best regards,
Jeffrey
Old 07-22-2009, 09:35 AM
Jeffrey's Vette
Racer

Originally Posted by jschindler
Well heck! I actually have a Corvette color matched frame on my CTS Cadillac (don't ask!). I never thought to look at that. I actually know a lady well who got a ticket for that when the law was passed. She was on the front page of the Houston Chronicle for it

I'll have to look at mine tomorrow morning.
Hi,

For the first time ever, I paid attention to license frames, on other cars, when driving home last night. Almost all of the dealer installed frames (with their names on them) are technically illegal. Wonder why the dealers (who install them) are not considered to be breaking the law? If ignorant customers get tickets due to the dealer's actions, then it seems like the dealer would/should be liable.

Is your caddy a V? I was thinking about getting one for a company vehicle. It would be in harmony with a banker image.

Best regards,
Jeffrey
Old 07-27-2009, 01:12 PM
Boulty1961
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Plate Covers and Front Plate

The ones on the rear plates shown in this thread will be considered legal in Texas.
The law for covering any part of the license plate (front or rear) is still in effect.
Also, all police records in Texas, City, County, and State are linked by Computer now.
That means when a person gets stopped, the record of that person and that vehicle are known to the officer that stopped you. If a person gets one warning for an equipment violation such as, “no front plate” it goes on record. The next time you are stopped and still have that violation, a ticket is given.
Just FYI, no warning has to be given.
A ticket can be given on the first stop.
I know first hand.
Driving 68mph in a 70mph zone.
All parts of Vette legal and quite exhaust.
I was just out for a Sunday drive and was stopped for no front plate.
I got a verbal warning and the above information from a Very Polite and Professional State Trooper.
I now have a front plate and a clear cover.

Last edited by Boulty1961; 07-27-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:35 PM
WHT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
You be the judge:

Note that it does cover part of the "Texas" and part of the logo on the bottom. Never been stopped for it. For that matter, I have never been stopped for not having a front plate either.
Mine is the same. However, I have never been stopped for it either. State and local Texas police usually only hassle you about this if you **** them off somehow.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:45 PM
C6MagRed
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Boulty1961
The ones on the rear plates shown in this thread will be considered legal in Texas.
The law for covering any part of the license plate (front or rear) is still in effect.
Also, all police records in Texas, City, County, and State are linked by Computer now.
That means when a person gets stopped, the record of that person and that vehicle are known to the officer that stopped you. If a person gets one warning for an equipment violation such as, “no front plate” it goes on record. The next time you are stopped and still have that violation, a ticket is given.
Just FYI, no warning has to be given.
A ticket can be given on the first stop.
I know first hand.
Driving 68mph in a 70mph zone.
All parts of Vette legal and quite exhaust.
I was just out for a Sunday drive and was stopped for no front plate.
I got a verbal warning and the above information from a Very Polite and Professional State Trooper.
I now have a front plate and a clear cover.
Wrong, no part of the TEXAS or slogan can be covered, even a tiny bit as the law is written.....Would take a huge A**hole to write any of these up, however.

Also, no cover is allowable in TEXAS, even clear ones.

Obviously, these are rarely enforced, but are technically illegal.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:58 AM
Pit Now
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by C6MagRed
Wrong, no part of the TEXAS or slogan can be covered, even a tiny bit as the law is written.....Would take a huge A**hole to write any of these up, however.

Also, no cover is allowable in TEXAS, even clear ones.

Obviously, these are rarely enforced, but are technically illegal.
Not entirely correct. The slogan Lone Star State at the bottom CAN be covered and no more than half of the TEXAS at the top portion. I just verified this with a local law enforcement Lieutenant supervisor and did a search myself.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:07 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by Pit Now
Not entirely correct. The slogan Lone Star State at the bottom CAN be covered and no more than half of the TEXAS at the top portion. I just verified this with a local law enforcement Lieutenant supervisor and did a search myself.
As it's 9 years later, I really don't think they care, IF they even post here anymore...
Old 10-20-2018, 12:14 PM
Pit Now
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
As it's 9 years later, I really don't think they care, IF they even post here anymore...
Well from now on I will make sure just to make YOU happy and only reply and give owners helpful info with posts in the last week.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:28 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by Pit Now
Well from now on I will make sure just to make YOU happy and only reply and give owners helpful info with posts in the last week.
You're really missing the point here.

Quick Reply: Is the GM color matched license plate frame legal in Texas?