C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra Simple PAL Installation planned

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 03:23 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by NevadaVette
That might work, particularly if you are totally incompetent, or if you enjoy making trips to a car dealer to chat with morons. My neighbor took his C6 to the dealer to have them put his license plate on.

For others, it takes longer to drive to the dealer and back than it does to install the iPod PAL with Ray's adapter, and with the dealers around here you have no guarantee that they can do anything right, let alone not destroy something else while the car is there.

It's about as complicated as plugging a monitor into a computer. If you can't do that right, you need to have your time wasted by a dealer.
I had to laugh as I read your post! Unfortunately, this is true too many times.

If you have a dealer with a tech who is familiar with Corvettes, he'll do a good job. But unless you have someone you can trust, there are real easy ways to do a sloppy job installing the PAL the GM way. I heard one guy say he could do it in half an hour, but just removing the glove box, drilling the hole, and installing the Ipod cable took me longer than that - and I was familiar with all of the procedures because I had earlier replaced my entire dashboard with a 3LZ leather dash. Installation of the XM data wire also takes some time and care to do it right since you are splicing in the factory wiring harness.

A tech that can do this job properly in 1.5 hours definitely knows what he is doing.

Ray
Old 02-03-2010, 03:23 PM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kawal
DoctorJ,

. My harness makes it very easy to install the PAL when compared to the GM harness that is provided in the kit (my son is shipping my harnesses while we're on vacation).

Ray
This is a understatement...Your harness can be isntalled by a dummy...
Superrrrrrrrrr easy
Old 02-03-2010, 05:01 PM
terryzx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NevadaVette
That might work, particularly if you are totally incompetent, or if you enjoy making trips to a car dealer to chat with morons. My neighbor took his C6 to the dealer to have them put his license plate on.

For others, it takes longer to drive to the dealer and back than it does to install the iPod PAL with Ray's adapter, and with the dealers around here you have no guarantee that they can do anything right, let alone not destroy something else while the car is there.

It's about as complicated as plugging a monitor into a computer. If you can't do that right, you need to have your time wasted by a dealer.
The MAIN reason I am having it dealer installed is so that if something was to get messed up, THEY would be responsible....NOT ME

The car is a new GS that I am picking up at the museum in Early March and I don't feel like messing with something I would not be totally familiar with

Only basic things can be done EASILY to these cars anymore, so I choose to feel comfortable and let the dealer do it....and one that has a good Corvette guy is only 2 miles away
Old 02-05-2010, 09:30 AM
NevadaVette
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by terryzx
The MAIN reason I am having it dealer installed is so that if something was to get messed up, THEY would be responsible....NOT ME

The car is a new GS that I am picking up at the museum in Early March and I don't feel like messing with something I would not be totally familiar with

Only basic things can be done EASILY to these cars anymore, so I choose to feel comfortable and let the dealer do it....and one that has a good Corvette guy is only 2 miles away
You are right, dude. You belong at a car dealer having them tear out your dashboard, console, and all kinds of electronic stuff in your new car to drill holes in it and cut wires when none of that is necessary.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:57 AM
NevadaVette
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had to laugh as I read your post! Unfortunately, this is true too many times.

If you have a dealer with a tech who is familiar with Corvettes, he'll do a good job. But unless you have someone you can trust, there are real easy ways to do a sloppy job installing the PAL the GM way. I heard one guy say he could do it in half an hour, but just removing the glove box, drilling the hole, and installing the Ipod cable took me longer than that - and I was familiar with all of the procedures because I had earlier replaced my entire dashboard with a 3LZ leather dash. Installation of the XM data wire also takes some time and care to do it right since you are splicing in the factory wiring harness.

A tech that can do this job properly in 1.5 hours definitely knows what he is doing.

Ray
Hi Ray. Thanks for providing us with your adapter. It made the installation of the iPod Pal very simple. If I had to have some monkey tear my car apart like the GM iPod PAL installation instructions that come with their kit suggest, I would have skipped the whole thing. Why GM couldn't figure out that there is an easier way to install the iPod PAL for the navigation radio is beyond my comprehension, particularly since the easy way is essentially the same way that they already have to install a rear CD changer.

I was laughing at your story about all the brain damage that can arise from the The GM procedure for installation of the iPod Pal. Oddly, it reminded me of the official GM emergency brake leather boot installation instructions.

I have a two tone interior on this car and GM sells a kit which can be used to install an OEM leather color-keyed boot on the emergency brake that matches the seat centers in place of the black one. In order to install that simple item, they have lengthy instructions on how to tear your whole console apart, install a whole new emergency brake assembly, route the new cable to actuate the emergency brake, and readjust the whole mess, all for a car that was brand new.

All that really needed to be done was to slip the old emergency brake boot off over the handle and slide the new boot on. Little wonder that GM has so much useless overhead to get rid of. Sounds like they shifted the same goof ***** from emergency brake boots to iPod PALs.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:06 PM
ehb5150
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Default PAL Module installation harness

I have an 09 base coupe with nav and XM and have ordered the factory PAL module. How do I go about ordering your installation harness?
Old 02-07-2010, 04:19 PM
1FUNC5
Le Mans Master

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

I am interested in ordering as well.
Steven
Old 02-07-2010, 06:25 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Here is the website for the PAL installation details:

http://www.kawal.net/pal%20install.htm

Alternative 5 includes the installation details for using my harness. After the details and photos and discussion is the section for ordering.

My wife and I are still in Hawaii, but we'll be home this coming Friday on the 12th. Our son is shipping harnesses for me while we're gone.

Ray
Old 02-14-2010, 05:35 PM
lawvette22
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received my harness from Kawal and my PAL from Gene. Both went in super easy as advertised. Could not be happier. Glad I followed the instructions from Kawal and the great pics from others regarding the clearance issue with the PAL unit and the pins from the emblem in the waterfall. Whole installation, including removal and reinstallation of the waterfall took about 30 minutes. Anyone can do this.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:46 PM
NVR LAT
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree, the installattion is very easy. Now if I could just get it to work. I switched my car to Sirius but didn't order the PAL unit until someone else confirmed that it would work with Sirius...it doesn't. Ray was very helpful, but could only do so much. I have spoken with the manufacturer, and they said they would work on it to try and make it work for me. Their last words were..."I'l get back to you in a couple days"...that was at least a month ago. I think I've had the unit for 2 months or better...I hope the vendor I bought it from will take it back after this long...if not I guess I'll take the loss and sell it to someone with XM. It's been frustrating to say the least! I think there is another manufacturer out there that claims their unit will work with any satellite radio...I guess I'll try them. PXAMG or something like that. The only drawback is you have to make the connection from behind the radio, not like the simple Kawal install. Anybody else have different ideas?
Old 03-27-2010, 07:03 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by C-INRED
Sounds like a no-go for me Ray. As you know I have 6-CD and no Nav.

-Mike
Mike,

The new Revision 2.0 PAL will work with non-Nav radios.

Click on the top link on this page:

http://www.kawal.net/vettemods.htm

Ray
Old 03-27-2010, 08:12 PM
MackIII
Pro

Mike,

The new Revision 2.0 PAL will work with non-Nav radios.

Click on the top link on this page:

http://www.kawal.net/vettemods.htm

Ray
OK, I was checking out forum today for an update on this PAL/iPod thing and low and behold there is a GOD!!! And announced only hours a go!!! So Ray tell me all that I need to purchase, my friend, to get my iPod Touch working in my 07 coupe with non-nav radio (I have Bose 6 disc changer model) with XM radio as well. I have read bits and pieces of this thread but confused as to what type of PAL to buy and where??? Also what cables do I need to get this puppy going? Oh and one last question will this setup charge up my iPod Touch?

Thanks
MackIII
Old 03-27-2010, 11:02 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by MackIII
OK, I was checking out forum today for an update on this PAL/iPod thing and low and behold there is a GOD!!! And announced only hours a go!!! So Ray tell me all that I need to purchase, my friend, to get my iPod Touch working in my 07 coupe with non-nav radio (I have Bose 6 disc changer model) with XM radio as well. I have read bits and pieces of this thread but confused as to what type of PAL to buy and where??? Also what cables do I need to get this puppy going? Oh and one last question will this setup charge up my iPod Touch?

Thanks
MackIII
OK, here is the new forum thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...te-owners.html

and here is my website explaining the new Revision 2.0 PAL:

http://www.kawal.net/PAL%20Rev%202.htm

The new PAL kits that I will soon have in my hands will have everything you need to install the PAL very easily at your XM receiver. It also has the new iPod cables that will charge all of the latest iPods, iTouches, and iPhones.

I will be updating the above site shortly with the latest results of the Nav version of the new PAL. The non-Nav version is already explained. Take a look at the website and read the link near the top.

Ray
Old 03-29-2010, 10:41 AM
ehb5150
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

I installed Ray's PAL adaptor harness in about thirty minutes which included routing the connector cable up to the dash of my car and keeping it as hidden as possible. Better than that is the fact that it works every bit as well as Ray said it would. For those of you that are interested, if you go to ProClipsusa.com, they have vehicle and device specific mounts that work very well. Thanks again Ray!

Quick Reply: Ultra Simple PAL Installation planned