C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confessions of a Prius owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 03:36 PM
Vettein
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Confessions of a Prius owner

<Steps up to the podium and hangs his head in shame>

My name is Dave and I was a Toyota Prius owner for owner for one month. It's been 2 days since I last drove a Prius.

<Audience answers "Hello, Dave">

In the third week of July, I took delivery of a brand new 2010 Toyota Prius after doing weeks of research and test driving them. I thought the Prius was a great idea, practical, and that being a techie I would love the gadgetry of it.

My first few hits of Prius were great, I enjoyed watching all the displays telling me every nano-second what my mileage was, and how the combustion engine and electric motor were switching back and forth. I was thrilled watching the displays trade back and forth and changing between all of the driver information.

Then something happened a few days later...I looked up, I looked at the road around me, and I listened to the car and experienced everything around me. I realized at some point that I wasn't actually driving the car, but rather I was its guest, sending mild suggestions of how I'd like it to behave and then at some point later, the car might incorporate those into its own plans. I was a mindless drone stuck in a automobile coffin. I realized that bicycles, small children with dogs, and little old ladies with walkers were passing me. I realized that with my nose buried in the MPG display I had become that obstacle that I used to hate on the road messing up the traffic flow.

I knew I had to get out, that I had sold my car loving soul to a devil car with no soul itself and do something before I was lost. I had to go cold turkey, no 2 ways about it. I didn't tell the Prius-spawn, but I secretly began plotting its demise behind its back.

So I looked at a 2010 Camaro SS. Enamored by the body style, and LS3 engine I thought it might be the car for me. I test drove one - it flew away like a rocket, but then something came up that killed my desire - It's called a corner. When I stopped, I spent some time in the interior of the Camaro. Ever door I closed, every interior panel and switch I touched reminded me of everything bad about my '92 Camaro. The only thing it was missing was the leaky T-tops. Even though I knew it wasn't the car for me, it made one thing certain; I had to get out of the Prius.

So I went back to my childhood. I asked myself, what's the one car I wanted ever since I was a kid? What's the car that I used to build Revell models of when I was little and spend hours painting and dreaming of driving? That car, of course is the Chevrolet Corvette.

I came to Corvette Forum looking for help. I looked around a little, spent many hours reading, and made my first post saying I was looking for a low mileage C6. Like Norm walking into Cheers, I was welcomed in and given many tips on finding that perfect car.

One of those cars was Frank's - A garage lift kept beauty with 11,000 miles on it, tastefully upgraded with a Corsa Extreme exhaust, Melrose headers, and much more. I set an appointment to check it out.

On a crisp Chicago Sunday afternoon last weekend, I went to Frank's home to check out the car. The outside was immaculate, as was the interior. After explaining everything about the car, and all the upgrades this car had done to it, I knew this car had been cared for.

Then he started it. The sound of that exhaust burbling struck a chord deep inside and I knew I had to drive it. We dropped the top (it was 70 and sunny afterall), and went out for a spin. I had a sneaking suspicion that I knew how this was going to end.

We pulled out of the subdivision, and Frank hit the gas - just a little. I think a little pee came out. Immediately my lips curled into the biggest grin ever - and stayed that way until late that night. We switched drivers, I looked out through the HUD and put my foot on the gas for the first time - and it went. It really went.

After taking the car back and discussing a few details, I thanked Frank for his time after agreeing on the details and drove home. I called my wife on the way and said I am buying this car - I have to have it.

To make a long story short, 2 days later I sold the Prius back. It had 350 miles on it. It was still on the dealer's first tank of gas. Sure, I took a bath on it, but I asked myself, what is the price of driving a car that I hate? Therapy can be expensive, but I needed treatment or my affliction it would only get worse.

Today I bought the Corvette and am now driving it. I plan to detail the heck out of it this weekend, the full Zaino treatment and love every minute of it. Conversely, trust me when I tell you nothing sucks like waxing a Prius. For me there was no joy in it. I've heard it said that the Prius is "The perfect car for people that hate cars" and now I know exactly what they mean, and they are absolutely right. The problem is I am a car lover. I will now say to all who will listen that “The Prius is the worst car ever for people who love cars”.

So, thanks for letting me share my story. The act of getting it out there has helped me heal. Keep an eye out for your friends, family and children, and if they are car lovers, warn them away from the Prius. Step in and intervene if you have too, but don’t let them go down the path that I did.

My name is Dave and I've been driving a Corvette for one day...
The following users liked this post:
TomdaToolman (09-03-2023)
Old 08-27-2009, 03:43 PM
RadarP3C
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Nice read!

Old 08-27-2009, 03:54 PM
raider4251
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I almost shed a tear, nice story.

WAIT!
We need pics of the new ride.
Please post when possible.

6/10 (no pic)

Last edited by raider4251; 08-27-2009 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:56 PM
jc9767
Racer

Hi Dave!!

Great Story. It got a little scary there in the middle, I could barely keep reading from under the covers. Luckily the good Corvette came and saved the day destroying the evil Prius. And what did we learn?
"Always buy what you want, not what someone else says you want."
or
"Guys are born to love the Corvette, not made."
Old 08-27-2009, 04:02 PM
C6NRED
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

GREAT story and thanks for sharing it with us. I can only imagine what it was like to get out of a Prius and into a 'Vette with headers and aftermarket exhaust............Right?

Congrats on the new to you 'Vette -- have you heard the story about a Vette guy getting challenged to a short highway MPG challenge and beating his friend's Honda Hybrid? You can get an honest 30+ with our 430+ HP cars....does it GET any better than that? I think not!!!
Old 08-27-2009, 04:03 PM
knick
Pro

that was really thanks
Old 08-27-2009, 04:03 PM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did u get cash for clunkers on your prius ?
Old 08-27-2009, 04:05 PM
AtHomeSoda
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Congrats...

Well... I guess I feel lucky... I do not need to go to prison to know I won't like it, and I don't need to drive a Prius to know it was not for me... So I saved some money... The important thing is... You saved your soul.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:08 PM
mfern6
Intermediate

Hi Dave,

We are all your family now. We will all help you get through this.

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!
Old 08-27-2009, 04:08 PM
glacierbay2
Racer

Dave, I loved your post. Welcome to Automotive Heaven in Corvette Land. Congratulations in facing down your demons of political correctness and the hypocrisy of the green movement. We revel in your upcoming indulgence of carbon footprint enlargement. You are no longer an eco-weenie--rejoice!

I understand that the huge torque and acceleration offered by our cars can occasionally cause spontaneous bladder releases in both drivers and passengers; this usually subsides with repeated full throttle runs into 4th gear.

You've gone from the worst accelerating car from 0-60 and the worst braking from 60-0 in the Prius (Car and Driver stats, I think), to one of the best. Pardon my paternalism, but with power comes responsibility. Enjoy the new ride!
Old 08-27-2009, 04:09 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by RadarP3C
Nice read!

The Camaro is huge disapointment inside

The Prius SUCKS CRAP,EVERYTHING about them less the mileage, Big deal when driving a joke. I hate them esp on the highway clogging up things. Nice job! Great read! Great Value with that like new Corvette!
Old 08-27-2009, 04:14 PM
POACHR
Burning Brakes

Great story! PICS!!!
Old 08-27-2009, 04:15 PM
QbnSuperman
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

haha! fantastic post. Excellent writing skills as well. I lawled with the 'pee' part.

Congratulations, good choice, and thank you for going domestic.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:20 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

congrats but remember recovery is done one step at a time so live your life as such - one day at a time - and ensure that you take your treatments daily and drive the living #$@! out of that car!

oh yeah, skin cream will help eliminate the grin marks you will not have on your face permanently!
Old 08-27-2009, 04:22 PM
mcc978
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,’18,’19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The Prius is ugly and has nothing to it that is fun as you found out the hard way. At least you were able to get out of that Prius and into a great vette. You should enjoy every minute you spend in your vette.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:23 PM
Jolan
Advanced

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

That post made my day

Forwarded to hopeless friend who want a '10 Prius...
Old 08-27-2009, 04:28 PM
kramer2k
Instructor

Haha, great intro. Welcome

Get notified of new replies

To Confessions of a Prius owner

Old 08-27-2009, 04:52 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,920 Likes on 4,806 Posts

Great story.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:55 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Hello Dave-

You're on the road (literally) to recovery.

If you feel the urge to backslide, you know you can always come here for support.

You're among fiends (not a typo), welcome.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:55 PM
diverdan
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 04_Z06_CE
Did u get cash for clunkers on your prius ?
It was cash for clunkers, not cash for crappers.

Quick Reply: Confessions of a Prius owner