C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Check Oil Level" (DIC Warning)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 01:37 AM
SweetBlueZ51
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default "Check Oil Level" (DIC Warning)

Had this come up on my DIC a few weeks after I did an oil change. I knew the oil level was definitely well within the upper portion of the cross-hatched area, so if anything the oil level is on the higher side. It only happened for 1 day, and never again. This was about a month ago. Never added more oil as I didn't need it. Strange. Must have been a sensor fluke. I hope it's not on the fritz and needs to be replaced. Anyone ever hear of this or have this happen? I guess there's so many things that can go wrong with the computers and sensors on these cars.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:48 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by SweetBlueZ51
Had this come up on my DIC a few weeks after I did an oil change. I knew the oil level was definitely well within the upper portion of the cross-hatched area, so if anything the oil level is on the higher side. It only happened for 1 day, and never again. This was about a month ago. Never added more oil as I didn't need it. Strange. Must have been a sensor fluke. I hope it's not on the fritz and needs to be replaced. Anyone ever hear of this or have this happen? I guess there's so many things that can go wrong with the computers and sensors on these cars.
If it was a one time display and your oil level was good on the stick, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Sometimes even the act of parking on an incline can cause the oil to be off the sensor at startup.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:48 AM
quickc6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by talon90
If it was a one time display and your oil level was good on the stick, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Sometimes even the act of parking on an incline can cause the oil to be off the sensor at startup.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:06 AM
AroundMyHorn
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like you should be fine OP. Me on the other hand......

I had my oil changed 3000 miles ago and the DIC reads at 47%. I checked my oil level and it looks to be about a quart short. Is my engine eating oil? I know I'm around 3000 miles but I've never had a car consume oil just because it wasn't changed out in timely matter. I'm hoping the dealer didn't screw this up as I will have to prove that they did such a thing. Any thoughts?
Old 09-08-2009, 04:38 PM
C6CorvetteZ51
Instructor

My 05 seems to eat oil fast too. I was told its normal even though most dont have that problem. Has not seemed to have caused a problem over time. As for the original poster, i agree that it shouldnt be a problem for a one time thing. Come to think of it, its time to get my oil changed and im not low on oil too. Which would be the first time since i bought my car.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:40 PM
AroundMyHorn
Pro

I know I don't want an engine that eats oil. Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 09-08-2009, 07:08 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AroundMyHorn
...I had my oil changed 3000 miles ago and the DIC reads at 47%...
That does NOT mean your oil level is 47% full. It is the "Engine Oil Life System" estimating how soon you need to change your oil.

You can only measure the oil level with the dipstick. The DIC will alert you if the level is low, but does not tell you how much oil you have.

I cannot believe you went thru 53% of the oil life in only 3000 miles. More likely, whoever changed your oil simply neglected to reset the DIC.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:16 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,810 Likes on 2,058 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

I go 8K plus on an oil change and the oil level is just fine.

The next time you get your oil changed, do it yourself so you know it's full and this time reset the DIC to 100%.

Elmer
Old 09-08-2009, 07:23 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I know I don't want an engine that eats oil. Has anyone else had this problem?
Not me. 11k miles between oil changes, negligible oil use (maybe 1/4 of a quart).

And I don't recall seeing any reports of excessive oil use on the LS3. If it was a common issue, you can bet it'd be REPEATEDLY and LOUDLY posted on this forum.

There was a possible piston-ring problem with a small number of engines (53?) that was well-documented and discussed along with what constitutes excessive oil use:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...nsumption.html

Other threads discuss this too, do a search.

BTW, if you thought your C6 oil level was only 47% (about 3 quarts low!)... oh, well, never mind.

Last edited by CO Lightfoot; 09-08-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:24 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
X2
Old 09-08-2009, 07:42 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

I was also surprised to see your DIC at 47% after only 3,000 miles. I suppose it could be that way if all your driving is in very slow, hot traffic...but I would still bet that whoever changed the oil 3,000 miles ago did not reset the oil life in the DIC. My car takes 6,000 miles to move the DIC to about 55%
Old 09-08-2009, 09:58 PM
AroundMyHorn
Pro

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot
Not me. 11k miles between oil changes, negligible oil use (maybe 1/4 of a quart).

And I don't recall seeing any reports of excessive oil use on the LS3. If it was a common issue, you can bet it'd be REPEATEDLY and LOUDLY posted on this forum.

There was a possible piston-ring problem with a small number of engines (53?) that was well-documented and discussed along with what constitutes excessive oil use:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...nsumption.html

Other threads discuss this too, do a search.

BTW, if you thought your C6 oil level was only 47% (about 3 quarts low!)... oh, well, never mind.
Give me a little credit chief (I checked the dipstick to guess how much oil I had). In any matter, now I'm worried. I believe the dealer screwed me and never changed my oil. As some of you had said you usually travel 6000 miles and your DIC would read 50%. Well, My oil change before that (remember, I had it changed at the dealer at 13,600 miles) was at 11,000 miles and I'm at 17,000 right now. You do the math. Just typing this is making me angry. What recourse do I have? There is only two things that could that this can be attributed to.

A. Massive oil consumption.
B. Stealership screwed me.

Thoughts?
Old 09-08-2009, 10:56 PM
FiftySix
Instructor

My thought...

Change the oil again. But I'm with the others and betting they simply forgot to reset the DIC. I'd also be willing to bet they only put 5 quarts in....
Old 09-09-2009, 12:00 AM
AroundMyHorn
Pro

Originally Posted by FiftySix
My thought...

Change the oil again. But I'm with the others and betting they simply forgot to reset the DIC. I'd also be willing to bet they only put 5 quarts in....
The DIC read 99% after I picked up the car. I'm thinking all they did was reset it and move on. I'm debating if I have the energy to call them out on their shady work and see where it takes me.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:15 AM
cclive
Team Owner

It will take you nowhere....just change the oil now and move on...not worth the mental anguish. Even if you don't do it yourself, its easy to look at the dipstick and verify that new oil is in it, and put a mark on the filter so that you can tell that it has been changed also. Good luck...it will be fine!
Old 09-09-2009, 12:19 AM
AroundMyHorn
Pro

Originally Posted by cclive
It will take you nowhere....just change the oil now and move on...not worth the mental anguish. Even if you don't do it yourself, its easy to look at the dipstick and verify that new oil is in it, and put a mark on the filter so that you can tell that it has been changed also. Good luck...it will be fine!
I'm going to change it myself. I change the oil on all my other vehicles, why not do it on the vette? I'm still pissed off at the dealer (still haven't corrected my cup-holder issue and it's been 6 months) but it's probably won't be worth it in the end.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:26 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Cup holder issue??? How much can be wrong with a cup holder?

Get notified of new replies

To "Check Oil Level" (DIC Warning)

Old 09-09-2009, 12:35 AM
AroundMyHorn
Pro

Originally Posted by cclive
Cup holder issue??? How much can be wrong with a cup holder?
LOL, no idea how it happened as I bought the car used. If I were to take a guess it looks as if the heat from the drive-train caused the glue to melt, which in turn made the inside of the cup-holder separate and fall apart. It really is quite strange.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:33 AM
SweetBlueZ51
Racer

I'm going to change it myself. I change the oil on all my other vehicles, why not do it on the vette?
It's best to change it yourself if you can. This way, you can also be sure to let it drain out as much as possible, as well as pre-fill the filter with oil which I'm sure GM techs could care less about doing as it's not their car! Right?

I've had oil change problems with GM's service department (they actually put a full EXTRA QUART in by mistake—Read my post), and they charge so much for it that I just do it myself and buy the oil & filter (I like K&N) elsewhere. It's actually quite satisfying as I don't know how to do much else, LOL! Good luck with your car, and get that crazy cup holder fixed! That's ridiculous!
Old 09-09-2009, 07:32 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,494 Likes on 815 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Give me a little credit chief (I checked the dipstick to guess how much oil I had). In any matter, now I'm worried. I believe the dealer screwed me and never changed my oil. As some of you had said you usually travel 6000 miles and your DIC would read 50%. Well, My oil change before that (remember, I had it changed at the dealer at 13,600 miles) was at 11,000 miles and I'm at 17,000 right now. You do the math. Just typing this is making me angry. What recourse do I have? There is only two things that could that this can be attributed to.

A. Massive oil consumption.
B. Stealership screwed me.

Thoughts?
I don't think that the dealer didn't change your oil. My DIC goes down at the same rate as yours - I do primarily city driving and I like to ride the RPMs high (= sprited driving). I would go to zero in 6000 miles.

Driving soley highway is a different story. I recently did a long trip (7000 miles) and the DIC only went down by 42%.

My car also burns oil but falls into the "normal" category.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: "Check Oil Level" (DIC Warning)