C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZR-1 vs Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 12:47 PM
nikic6
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Default ZR-1 vs Cayman S

In the October issue of Motor trend, they rate the best driver's cars. Cayman S came in first. The ZR1 came in 6th, one spot behind the Mustang. They commented on the ZR1 using the same steering wheel as a Chevy Cobalt and the poor unsupportive seats in the ZR1.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:56 PM
68sixspeed
Melting Slicks

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I read that, so the ZR1 was the best performing of all the cars, but they just don't like it., the boxster with a roof is better? I couldn't figure that out myself, glad it was a free mag not something I paid for!
Old 09-11-2009, 01:02 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 68sixspeed
I read that, so the ZR1 was the best performing of all the cars, but they just don't like it., the boxster with a roof is better? I couldn't figure that out myself, glad it was a free mag not something I paid for!

Since the Cayman came in first we definitely know for a fact that styling had nothing to do with the ratings in any way, shape, or form.

I saw the magazine while the girlfriend was shopping. I had to look at the cover twice as I thought I picked up a comic book.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:29 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

As mentioned in the previous post, the Motor Trend in this case should be a comic book. Who in their right mind would pick a Cayman over a ZR1.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:45 PM
KMK454
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The point of that article was not how fast each car went, but how each car went fast. A "driver's car" is not necessarily the one that puts up the best numbers on the stopwatch; it is the car that connects with the driver via the steering wheel, suspension, shift lever, and gas pedal. Does the chassis want to dance, and is the engine the life of the party? Power is just one, not the only, part of the vehicle's soul. How it works in concert with the other aspects of the vehicle significantly alters the experience of the car. Balance is key. This is a subjective thing but keep in mind Motor Trend had a panel of people drive all of these cars back to back, which is something we cannot do. Some people will think the ZR1 is the better driver's car, but this panel did not. To each his own... which is why we are all on a Corvette forum.

I do not have an issue with their ranking, but I do have an issue with what cars are not present. Where is the Lotus Elise? Why no BMW M3? Why not the more accessible base Corvette or Z06 instead of the ZR1? Why is the CTS-V and Jaguar even in that test? What about a GTR or a Viper? And if the Cayman is better than the 911, why not invite one in and put that to rest?
Old 09-11-2009, 01:53 PM
StoplightWarrior
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

magazines suck
Old 09-11-2009, 02:16 PM
Levitating_Llama
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KMK454
The point of that article was not how fast each car went, but how each car went fast. A "driver's car" is not necessarily the one that puts up the best numbers on the stopwatch; it is the car that connects with the driver via the steering wheel, suspension, shift lever, and gas pedal. Does the chassis want to dance, and is the engine the life of the party? Power is just one, not the only, part of the vehicle's soul. How it works in concert with the other aspects of the vehicle significantly alters the experience of the car. Balance is key. This is a subjective thing but keep in mind Motor Trend had a panel of people drive all of these cars back to back, which is something we cannot do. Some people will think the ZR1 is the better driver's car, but this panel did not. To each his own... which is why we are all on a Corvette forum.

I do not have an issue with their ranking, but I do have an issue with what cars are not present. Where is the Lotus Elise? Why no BMW M3? Why not the more accessible base Corvette or Z06 instead of the ZR1? Why is the CTS-V and Jaguar even in that test? What about a GTR or a Viper? And if the Cayman is better than the 911, why not invite one in and put that to rest?
I agree. On the other hand...I seem to recall Motor Trend being head pipe blown effusive in their praise of the ZR-1 in earlier tests. And I believe they even chose it over a Ferrari 599. Suddenly, in the latest review, they seem particularly harsh. Readers like consistency.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:33 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

It really gets down to this - would you rather "have a pair" or have a jar of Grey Poupon in your fridge?
Old 09-11-2009, 02:43 PM
NXTFAZE
Melting Slicks

Received 259 Likes on 76 Posts

The car magazines are getting worse every year.... must be why I got a renewal notice from Car & Driver for $12 for 2 years.... 50 cents an issue...LOL

Some of the latest comparisons are just ridiculous.... The Audi and the P car don't have eough power to spin the damn tires....so it must be a better driver. That is how I understood the article. Whatever....

I don't buy cars based on what someone my father's age likes. ( no offense to anyone)
Old 09-11-2009, 02:58 PM
C6NRED
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

If the road test was for "user friendliness" and the panel was regular consumers, I can see a monster like the ZR1 finishing where it did.
But, if they only tested the "regular" Mustang -- perhaps the GT,as I suspect they did, but did not test the more hairy chested 500 KR -- then the test has no validity.......and why the Cayman and not the top of the line 911 Turbo?
I know that my brother would prefer his Ford Focus to my Corvette -- but what's the point in even saying that????
This test sounds beyond rediculous going in.....and moronic coming out....
Old 09-11-2009, 02:59 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The biggest gripe I have about the comparison is they complained about the ZR1 saying it was hard to operate at 10/10ths, partially because of the huge power it was putting out. It didn't inspire confidence, but left the drivers "white knuckled".

They said this while admitting that it was 5 seconds faster around the road course than the next fastest car.

So why not back off the throttle??? If you're driving it at 9/10ths (or wherever you need to drive it to still be the fastest around the track), would it be an easier car to drive? Would it have scored higher?

Or take the Cayman S, bump up the output by a couple hundred horsepower, and try to dive it at 10/10ths, and see if that is still just as easy/rewarding/whatever of a drive.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:02 PM
ssv3
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

A friend wanted to buy a Cayman until I said "You sure you want the Gayman instead of a vette?" That's the last I heard him talking about that car.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:03 PM
C6NRED
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by WAwatchnut
The biggest gripe I have about the comparison is they complained about the ZR1 saying it was hard to operate at 10/10ths, partially because of the huge power it was putting out. It didn't inspire confidence, but left the drivers "white knuckled".

They said this while admitting that it was 5 seconds faster around the road course than the next fastest car.

So why not back off the throttle??? If you're driving it at 9/10ths (or wherever you need to drive it to still be the fastest around the track), would it be an easier car to drive? Would it have scored higher?

Or take the Cayman S, bump up the output by a couple hundred horsepower, and try to dive it at 10/10ths, and see if that is still just as easy/rewarding/whatever of a drive.

All good points and you and I are saying basically the same thing as I did above......The Cayman would be lots faster with 648 HP, but would it be a "better" car by their measuring standards for this "test"?

Last edited by C6NRED; 09-11-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:16 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well spoken (errr, written).

I didn't see any rhyme or reason to their car selection. Was it just a bunch of cars they had around at that moment? Cayman instead of a 911? And the lack of certain other cars that would definitely rate high on the 'feedback' scale (like a Lotus) makes no sense to me.

IIRC, they complained about how 'on edge' the ZR-1 got at the limit, and then I remember reading the praise they had for a Miata. Let's see, 640Hp vs. 170Hp.....mash on the gas petal and then set up for a corner....one of those will be going at lawn tractor speeds so we will call that more user-friendly? IMO, not a fair comparison. How about driving the ZR-1 at Miata capable speeds and tell us what it feels like. Of course, it would be tough not using the last 4 gears.

BTW - I am a Miata fan.

Last edited by LMB-C6; 09-11-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:17 PM
opua
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This goes to show that you can set up a criteria in which any good sports car can win.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:29 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I don't really pay attention to the articles too much. Given the money to buy any of those cars on the list and I'm sure the ZR1 would win. Cayman has no styling, nothing new for sure. It just tells the rest of the world that you really wanted a 911 but you couldn't quite afford it.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:40 PM
nikic6
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Why in the world did GM put the ZR1 up to criticsim by every auto magazine by puting a Cobalt steering wheel on a $110,000 car?

Get notified of new replies

To ZR-1 vs Cayman S

Old 09-11-2009, 06:06 PM
KMK454
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
I don't really pay attention to the articles too much. Given the money to buy any of those cars on the list and I'm sure the ZR1 would win.
If I had the money for a ZR1 I'd use it to buy a Porsche 911 GT3.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:13 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

Originally Posted by dvilin
As mentioned in the previous post, the Motor Trend in this case should be a comic book. Who in their right mind would pick a Cayman over a ZR1.
Car & Driver.

Tom
Old 09-11-2009, 06:14 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

If I had the money for a ZR1 I'd use it to buy a Porsche 911 GT3.
Great handling car but still looks like a beetle.

Quick Reply: ZR-1 vs Cayman S