C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blind Spot Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 02:16 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

If you adjust your mirrors all the way out, you are missing the very blind spot we are seeking to make visible. If I can't see a sliver of rear fender on my driver side mirror, I may see cars in the 8 o'clock position, but can't be sure I don't have someone coming up fast on me in the 7 o'clock position. Prime example: motorcycles that are lane-splitting.

We all change driving positions slightly as we drive... its a little different when you first get into the car as compared to when we have been behind the wheel for a while. Having the 'sliver of fender' visible in the outside RVM 'anchors' the view that I am seeing.
The following users liked this post:
fcorona (04-18-2019)
Old 09-15-2009, 02:45 PM
ufaj26
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

Since my car is a DD I use the spots as I am on the interstate and downtown traffic a good deal. They're not pretty but work very well. Plus you can see the parking lines when backing in a parking spot.

Spots rule !!!! But they're ugly !!!
Old 09-15-2009, 03:03 PM
LarryMJones
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Default Diferent Opinions on the Forum

I don't recall any issue on the Forum that got 100% agreement from the responders. This one also has it's desenters.

This is a safety issue, if you feel spot mirrrows help you see in your blind spot you should get them.

It took a close call with a motorcycle for me to realize there is a small blind spot even with mirrows perfect. I bought one for all my vehicles the next day.

I have only had on the Vette a few days, but so far no one has stopped me to tell me I ruined the looks of my Vette.
LJ
Old 09-15-2009, 05:15 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by ufaj26
Since my car is a DD I use the spots as I am on the interstate and downtown traffic a good deal. They're not pretty but work very well. Plus you can see the parking lines when backing in a parking spot.

Spots rule !!!! But they're ugly !!!
What are spots? Those little stick on mirrors?
Old 09-15-2009, 05:17 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 08vycpe
Here's the alternative to mounting camper mirrors on the fenders of your Vette. As mentioned there is no blind spot if the mirrors are adjusted correctly.

Look in your inside rear view mirror to see cars approaching on your left. Adjust the driver side view mirror such that as the car on the left is passing you, they leave your rear view mirror and immediately enter your side view mirror. As the car leaves your side view mirror they enter your peripheral vision. The wide view mirror on the passenger side can be adjusted to just barely see the side of your car and it will serve the same purpose. Adjusting the driver's side view mirror so you can see down the side of your car is useless.

My '07 Silverado has something called curb view in the side view mirror. When the vehicle is put in reverse, the mirror turns down so you can see the curb and the lines in the parking space you are backing into. When put in drive it returns to the normal position. I like that and wish the Vette had the same feature.
Now if you use your side mirrors for parking so that you don't get curb rash that's a whole new other setting.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:23 PM
pTr73
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is incorrect to adjust the side view to where you cant see the sides of your car.

if someone is standing next to your wheel (while at a stop) well how can you see them?
Or better yet how would you like to hit the curb with your wheels because you cant see the sides of the car???

If you need to lane change move your head forward (toward the windshield) and that will give you the blind spot view.

Another way to battle this is do not ride in someones blind spot either... If you cant see the driver of the other cars face in his mirrors he cant see you! Use that as a rule of thumb if you decide to linger in the lane next to someone.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:45 PM
LarryMJones
Race Director

Originally Posted by LS WON
What are spots? Those little stick on mirrors?
They are about 11/2 inches in diameter and stick to your mirror where they don't interfer with your main mirror view.
About $1.79 at Wamart.
LJ
Old 09-15-2009, 06:56 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,140 Posts

I'll just state this one more time, try using those tiny mirrors at night or at night in the rain and you will be blind. Adjust your main mirrors right and there is no need for them.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:20 PM
LarryMJones
Race Director

Default Nighy driving

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
I'll just state this one more time, try using those tiny mirrors at night or at night in the rain and you will be blind. Adjust your main mirrors right and there is no need for them.
You drive your vette at night and also in the rain!!!
LJ
Old 09-15-2009, 07:26 PM
KarlK
Team Owner

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts

When I first got my C6 back in 2006, I noticed I was unable to do the "quick look" due to the "B" pillar being in my way. Often when driving on multi-lane highways you are forced to make a quick defensive action to avoid an accident and often there's not enough time to even do the "quick look".

I had 3 near misses in a month or two of ownership and I went searching for answers besides moving the seat all the way forward to avoid the B pillar obstruction.

My problem wasn't just a blind spot, but being able to move over a lane or two in the event I needed to avoid an accident or debris on the freeway. The wider the peripheral vision, the easier to transition into adjacent lanes without a mishap if needed.

If I lived in a suburb or remote area where there are two or four lanes, I probably wouldn't need a special mirror or the extra peripheral vison. In a city of yahoos, high speeds and multi-lanes, I like to see as much as my surroundings as possible.

I purchased these mirrors a few months after buying my vette and I haven't had a near miss since;

https://secure57.softcomca.com/multi...echnology.html
Old 09-15-2009, 08:34 PM
08vycpe
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=pTr73;1571505137]It is incorrect to adjust the side view to where you cant see the sides of your car.

That is incorrect. GM agrees with the method I described and has published this. I'll try to find the document.

Popular Mechanics December 2007 also shows the method I described. They use the head lean to get the same result of adjusting the mirror so the driver leaves your rear view mirror, enters your side view mirror and then enters your peripheral vision. There are pictures in that issue that show the side view mirrors INCORRECTLY adjusted to show down the side of the car and CORRECTLY to show the blind spots in the mirrors without seeing the side of the car. I can't attach the illustrations from the magazine but here is the text.

Published in the December 2007 issue article by Mike Allen.

A: I had a long chat over dinner with an engineer from a major auto company a couple of years back about the subject of side view mirror adjustment. In addition to being an engineer, this guy holds a Ph.D. in psychology, specializing in human factors and ergonomics. And we both agreed that people often don’t adjust their rearview mirrors correctly. The interior mirror should be set to see straight back along the road, as most people do. But most drivers set the mirrors mounted on the doors to duplicate this view. The engineer suggested that the proper use of these mirrors is to let you visualize the blind spots flanking your car, not to see straight back.

Here’s his procedure for adjusting the mirrors, and it’s what I have always done myself.

Adjust the driver’s seat to the correct position. Lean your head and torso over to the left until your head contacts the window glass. I know, that seems too far. But trust me. Now, adjust the left-side mirror outward until you can barely see your own fender in it. Next, lean over to the right a similar distance, and adjust the right-side mirror so you can just see your own rear fender. Sit up straight. Your mirrors are now set to allow you to see other cars in your blind spot. You won’t need to swivel your neck around to be aware of traffic hiding at 60 mph right beside you. And the interior mirror will still let you see the traffic directly behind.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:40 PM
08vycpe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 08vycpe: My '07 Silverado has something called curb view in the side view mirror. When the vehicle is put in reverse, the mirror turns down so you can see the curb and the lines in the parking space you are backing into. When put in drive it returns to the normal position. I like that and wish the Vette had the same feature.

Originally Posted by LS Won: Now if you use your side mirrors for parking so that you don't get curb rash that's a whole new other setting.

That's the nice thing about the Silverado mirrors. They adjust automatically for normal view and curb view depending on what gear the vehicle is in. I don't have to do anything.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:47 PM
Ratchet Thunderbolt
Pro

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
I used to use the small angled mirror on my driver's side mirror and during the day they worked pretty well. But at night and especially at night in the rain they were useless. Then I took a high performance driving school at Pocono Raceway and one of first things they taught was how to adjust your mirrors. They said that over 90% of people have their mirrors adjusted incorrectly.

Point One: The inside mirror is to see behind you.

Point Two: The side mirrors are to see beside you.

Most people have the inside and the outside mirrors pointing to see behind them and defeat the purpose of the side mirrors.
The outside mirrors should be adjusted all the way out so they show what's beside you.

To properly use your mirrors to change lanes you should first check the inside mirror to get an overall picture of what's going on behind you and see if anyone is approaching from the lane you want to more into. Then you check your outside mirror to see if anyone is beside you. If both mirrors have shown no one, it's safe to move to that lane.

You never have to more you head more than enough to see your outside mirror and you can move your head and attention back to what's going on in front of you immediately. The less time you spend looking to the side the better because it's what is in front of you that's most important.

My son has taken mandatory driving schools from two different companies he has worked for. Two different instructors told him to adjust his sideview mirrors all the way out to eliminate the blind spots. I tried it and it was odd for me at first but it really works. I do it on all three of my vehicles.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:36 PM
gbgary
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i've got them. the last thing i want to do is not see someone, or some thing, and damage me, mine, you, or yours.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:43 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by LarryMJones
They are about 11/2 inches in diameter and stick to your mirror where they don't interfer with your main mirror view.
About $1.79 at Wamart.
LJ
Would you by chance have a upfront close view of what this looks like?
Old 09-15-2009, 10:44 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 08vycpe
Originally Posted by 08vycpe: My '07 Silverado has something called curb view in the side view mirror. When the vehicle is put in reverse, the mirror turns down so you can see the curb and the lines in the parking space you are backing into. When put in drive it returns to the normal position. I like that and wish the Vette had the same feature.

Originally Posted by LS Won: Now if you use your side mirrors for parking so that you don't get curb rash that's a whole new other setting.

That's the nice thing about the Silverado mirrors. They adjust automatically for normal view and curb view depending on what gear the vehicle is in. I don't have to do anything.
This is an option that they should have on a Corvette that will improve vision for this great low slung high performance sportscar.
When you are up in a truck you can see everything anyway.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:45 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by gbgary

i've got them. the last thing i want to do is not see someone, or some thing, and damage me, mine, you, or yours.
Where did you buys yours from? Size? Cost? brand?

Get notified of new replies

To Blind Spot Mirror

Old 09-15-2009, 10:48 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by foremaw
IMHO, if your side mirrors are adjusted properly there are no blind spots on the C6.
Actually the blind spots aren't that bad it the parking between cars and curbs that's a major problem I can see.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:02 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

I don't care what anybody says about looks or "adjusting properly". I have those little mirrors on every car, truck and SUV I own or have owned for 20+ years and once you get used to them you basically can't drive without them.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:04 PM
gbgary
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
Where did you buys yours from? Size? Cost? brand?
don't remember but you can get them at almost any auto-parts store, 2", cheap...less than $5 for the pair i'm sure (they're peel and stick). be sure to put them on the outside or they'll interfere with seeing out the big mirror.

Last edited by gbgary; 09-15-2009 at 11:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Blind Spot Mirror