C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frequently Asked Questions about the GM Personal Audio Link (PAL)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 05:38 PM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by kawal
I'd suggest you look at the following website and read the section near the top "What is a Version 2 PAL?":

http://www.kawal.net/PAL%20Rev%202.htm

Dealers do not have Version 2 PALs to install. Most won't even know what a Version 2 PAL is. But you can have any original PAL (GM part number 17800593) upgraded to Version 2 with a software modification and a new iPod cable. Or you can change the iPod cable for charging. Or you can simply add a charging adapter to the original white iPod cable for charging the new iPods or iPhones.

If you have a dealer installed GM PAL, it will undoubtedly be installed using the original OEM installation harness which requires splicing into the factory wiring near the clutch pedal. In that case, the PAL module will be located near the bottom of the passenger footwell fuse panel. The iPod cable is simply plugged into the PAL module at that location and routed to the glove box.

Ray
Oh now I get it Ray thank you so much. I must have missed that page. Just to confirm I have this right...these are my options and understanding.

1.) So the module is undoubtedly the version 1 as this is the only one GM offered so someone spliced this into the car at the dealer.

2.) The module is in the fuse box so to get full charging of any device I basically can either (A) unplug the cable going from the PAL to the iPod and buy the one on your website or (B) just clip in that plug you linked to me on Amazon into the stock cable.

3.) The other option is to update the software on the PAL to get other features (Direct Input / Pause / etc.) along with charging through a new cable??? This would be done by taking the PAL out and have it shipped to you. Do you offer a direct core swap for a PAL Version 2 unit if someone were to give you their PAL 1 unit. Does the PAL Version 2 work when wired into the unit as the PAL 1 splicing method vs a direct plug in?

Originally Posted by ProfessorDeath
Save yourself the headache and get an aftermarket head unit with streaming bluetooth. Done.
Streaming Bluetooth isn't up to par for audio quality and I've done custom headunits before and I decided I wanted a factory integrated one so was only looking at 3LT's when I decided to pick up this car.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:46 AM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Nosferatu
Oh now I get it Ray thank you so much. I must have missed that page. Just to confirm I have this right...these are my options and understanding.

1.) So the module is undoubtedly the version 1 as this is the only one GM offered so someone spliced this into the car at the dealer.

2.) The module is in the fuse box so to get full charging of any device I basically can either (A) unplug the cable going from the PAL to the iPod and buy the one on your website or (B) just clip in that plug you linked to me on Amazon into the stock cable.

3.) The other option is to update the software on the PAL to get other features (Direct Input / Pause / etc.) along with charging through a new cable??? This would be done by taking the PAL out and have it shipped to you. Do you offer a direct core swap for a PAL Version 2 unit if someone were to give you their PAL 1 unit. Does the PAL Version 2 work when wired into the unit as the PAL 1 splicing method vs a direct plug in?

Streaming Bluetooth isn't up to par for audio quality and I've done custom headunits before and I decided I wanted a factory integrated one so was only looking at 3LT's when I decided to pick up this car.
You've got it mostly right. The original version PALs include a harness that requires the installer to remove the center console and radio, then make a splice into the factory electrical harness to route the XM communication circuit through the PAL module. It's a big job, but once it's done, the PAL must be connected in order to retain XM radio. My Version 2 PALs use a much simpler installation method by connecting the PAL module at the readily accessible XM receiver itself. Electrically, both installations are identical, but my harnesses make it simple and reversible.

For charging, it doesn't matter what PAL software you have or which harness is used for the PAL installation. If you have an original PAL already installed, the easiest way to charge your iPod is to buy a charging adapter and simply plug it in. It's a bit cumbersome when compared to a new cable with the voltage converter built in to the cable, but I'm out of iPod cables anyway.

The software update gives you some new features and better performance, but again, it has nothing to do with charging. You can upgrade the software by unplugging the PAL module, shipping it to me, then reconnecting the module in the same place. It makes no difference how the PAL was installed or where the module is located.

Unfortunately I do not have extra PAL modules for exchanges.

Ray
Old 04-30-2013, 12:27 AM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

You've got it mostly right. The original version PALs include a harness that requires the installer to remove the center console and radio, then make a splice into the factory electrical harness to route the XM communication circuit through the PAL module. It's a big job, but once it's done, the PAL must be connected in order to retain XM radio. My Version 2 PALs use a much simpler installation method by connecting the PAL module at the readily accessible XM receiver itself. Electrically, both installations are identical, but my harnesses make it simple and reversible.

For charging, it doesn't matter what PAL software you have or which harness is used for the PAL installation. If you have an original PAL already installed, the easiest way to charge your iPod is to buy a charging adapter and simply plug it in. It's a bit cumbersome when compared to a new cable with the voltage converter built in to the cable, but I'm out of iPod cables anyway.

The software update gives you some new features and better performance, but again, it has nothing to do with charging. You can upgrade the software by unplugging the PAL module, shipping it to me, then reconnecting the module in the same place. It makes no difference how the PAL was installed or where the module is located.

Unfortunately I do not have extra PAL modules for exchanges.

Ray
Since posting in this thread I finally got the car and played around with the PAL. Got a few questions (this is the pre-installed PAL V1 on a navigation based car)

1.) I notice with no pause button with V1 (unlike your custom V2). How do you get the iPod to stop playing when the car turns off or when a phone call comes in over the bluetooth? The audio tends to keep playing silently in the background. I've noticed this because the music is a track or two ahead after ending a call or after coming back into the car after letting it sit for a while.

2.) Sound is occasionally distorting at higher volumes (mostly mid range frequencies). Any thoughts? Is it a crappy wiring job from the original dealer installing? There's no EQ settings enabled on the iPod nor the navigation head unit.

Thanks Ray!
Old 05-03-2013, 01:32 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by Nosferatu
Since posting in this thread I finally got the car and played around with the PAL. Got a few questions (this is the pre-installed PAL V1 on a navigation based car)

1.) I notice with no pause button with V1 (unlike your custom V2). How do you get the iPod to stop playing when the car turns off or when a phone call comes in over the bluetooth? The audio tends to keep playing silently in the background. I've noticed this because the music is a track or two ahead after ending a call or after coming back into the car after letting it sit for a while.

2.) Sound is occasionally distorting at higher volumes (mostly mid range frequencies). Any thoughts? Is it a crappy wiring job from the original dealer installing? There's no EQ settings enabled on the iPod nor the navigation head unit.

Thanks Ray!
Regarding your first question, the lack of a PAUSE button was an oversight, in my opinion, of the original PAL. That's one of the reasons I began working with Mediatronics to improve the PAL. When you shut down the car, the iPod will stop, but not immediately. If you decide you want the new Version 2 features, you can order a software upgrade on my website.

Regarding your second question, I'm not sure I can answer that one, because the PAL itself will not introduce distortion. The factory wiring harness you have is a good quality harness - its problem is not quality - the problem is that the harness forces you to connect at the back of the hard-to-get radio and splice into the factory wiring harness - a huge and unnecessary job. But once it's done, there should be no sound quality problems other than whatever limitations there are on the overall audio system. Some owners have complained about the quality of XM, but some owners are more picky than others I suppose. The PAL should sound at least as good as your other music sources, although the volume might be a little lower. If so, you can correct this in iTunes, as explained in the PAL FAQ page:

http://www.kawal.net/PALFAQs.htm

I hope that helps a bit.

Ray
Old 05-03-2013, 03:19 PM
myfunz
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Great product, installed last year and took a road trip from NY to NC no commercials nothing but pure music!

Thanks Ray
Old 05-07-2013, 05:53 PM
tampatopless
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default PAL problems

Having a little problem with my PAL device, which was installed about a year and a half ago on my 2006 Vette by an audio person working for the GM dealership here.

I believe it's one of the older versions of PAL and it's connected to a newish iPod Nano.

The problem is that the iPod stops playing about two minutes after starting the car. The touchscreen looks like the normal PAL interface except that it reads " :STOPPED " at the top where the song info is usually displayed.

When i open the glove to check out the iPod, it's definitely not recognizing the PAL. The iPod shows as charging, off or the menu screen. When I hit play manually on the iPod, music comes through the stereo EVEN THOUGH THE TOUCHSCREEN IS STILL FROZEN.

It then plays for a minute or two and then stops.

Any idea what is going on?

Tx in advance.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:21 PM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by tampatopless
Having a little problem with my PAL device, which was installed about a year and a half ago on my 2006 Vette by an audio person working for the GM dealership here.

I believe it's one of the older versions of PAL and it's connected to a newish iPod Nano.

The problem is that the iPod stops playing about two minutes after starting the car. The touchscreen looks like the normal PAL interface except that it reads " :STOPPED " at the top where the song info is usually displayed.

When i open the glove to check out the iPod, it's definitely not recognizing the PAL. The iPod shows as charging, off or the menu screen. When I hit play manually on the iPod, music comes through the stereo EVEN THOUGH THE TOUCHSCREEN IS STILL FROZEN.

Tx in advance.
try simple stuff first...

reboot the ipod
backup/restore the ipod
try someone else's apple product (or another one that you may have)

If those don't fix it then you have to start looking towards the PAL device itself.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:02 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by tampatopless

Tx in advance.
Most PAL problems when the display reads STOPPED, if not an iPod problem, are related to the PAL iPod cable or its connections. Make sure you have a good connection at the iPod itself and no external case is preventing a good connection. At the other end, be sure there is no side pressure on the connection to the PAL module. The RJ50 connector has ten tiny terminals that must make good contact. If there is any tension on the cable pulling on the connector, that can cause a problem.

If this is an original PAL installation, the PAL module is located under the Bose amplifier behind the passenger footwell fuse panel cover. The PAL module is held in place with VERY secure velcro tape. Use a screwdriver to pry it up so you can pull it out. Look at both the 16 pin connector and especially the RJ50 iPod connector on the other side. The PAL module should be placed so that there is no connector pressure on either connector.

Ray
Old 07-17-2013, 09:33 PM
bauer6210
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any word on the PAL2
Old 07-18-2013, 12:38 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by bauer6210
Any word on the PAL2
Mediatronics has not responded to calls or emails since I paid them for a large order last December. I'm still holding out hope for more, but six months is a long time with no ETA. GM is completely out of Corvette PALs as well.

Ray
Old 09-29-2013, 09:30 AM
GS Don
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2012 GS and am having trouble storing radio stations. I am following the book but only manual button is at the bottom of the EQ page,auto EQ will not appear. and the six pushbuttons do not appear. There is no presets,favorites button. I have the Bose premium audio 9 speakers system,3LT. Am I doing something wrong or doe's my radio not have preset/favorites ability?
Old 11-14-2022, 07:55 AM
CroOrange
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Mediatronics has not responded to calls or emails since I paid them for a large order last December. I'm still holding out hope for more, but six months is a long time with no ETA. GM is completely out of Corvette PALs as well.

Ray
I have an OEM pal that I bought for my 08, never installed, from GM Parts house. Still in the box

It's an old thread but if someone is looking for one, let me know

Old 11-16-2022, 07:30 PM
redback
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CroOrange
I have an OEM pal that I bought for my 08, never installed, from GM Parts house. Still in the box

No intention to hijack your reply, but I have one as well, if anyone is interested.
Old 11-16-2022, 09:26 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by CroOrange

Howdy,
Email me at ray@kawal.net. Once in a while I get owners who still want a PAL. If the module is ok, I can convert them to Version 2 PALs and make them useful again.

Regards,

Ray

Quick Reply: Frequently Asked Questions about the GM Personal Audio Link (PAL)