C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone make Dash Letter Decals That Stick?

Old 09-28-2009, 09:08 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,044 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Default Anyone make Dash Letter Decals That Stick?

There's been a million threads on this and I ended up more confused than before. Let's keep it to one simple question:

I'm looking for Victory Red decals to fill in the "Corvette" on my passenger side dash. They must be paper-thin and flexible, I've had one case of airbag rash and don't want anything in the dash that would chew me up any more.

They have to stick and stay stuck for more than a couple of months.

Most of them seem to come loose after a while, does anyone have the really thin ones that have stayed stuck?

Thanks!
Old 09-28-2009, 09:09 PM
woulddug
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had ZERO luck in getting any to stick. 3 sets and nothing
Old 09-28-2009, 09:20 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
There's been a million threads on this and I ended up more confused than before. Let's keep it to one simple question:

I'm looking for Victory Red decals to fill in the "Corvette" on my passenger side dash. They must be paper-thin and flexible, I've had one case of airbag rash and don't want anything in the dash that would chew me up any more.

Most of them seem to come loose after a while, does anyone have the really thin ones that have stayed stuck?

Thanks!
I have had mine for about 4 years. The instrument panel pad has a non-stick coating, so you may need to use an adhesive promoter prior to installing the lettering.

Last edited by calemasters; 09-28-2009 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:22 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by calemasters
I have has mine for about 4 years. The instrument panel pad has a non-stick coating, so you may need to use an adhesive promoter prior to installing the lettering.
The suspense is killing me, who made yours???
What adhesive promoter did you use?
Old 09-28-2009, 09:33 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

RPI makes thin, flexible letters that will stick if you install them right.

You must do this in warm weather or a heated garage and the letters/adhesive need to set up overnight after they are installed.

You must clean the area very thoroughly. You can buy small alcohol soaked pads (swabs) at any drugstore. Use these to scrub the surface at least 5 times, letting it dry in between.

The next step is the real key. Use an adhesion promoter on the surface where the letters are to be attached. It's easy to apply and air dries in about half an hour.

The BondPak Primer pen is available from bondprousa.com. It's like a felt pen but you can buy the stuff by the gallon for sticking on body panels/spoilers/etc.

Take your time, a little patience makes this a once and done proposition.

Last edited by Knob Jockey; 09-29-2009 at 01:02 AM.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:39 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

The suspense is killing me, who made yours???
What adhesive promoter did you use?
Mine are the epoxy "domed" letters for Mid America Motor Works. I did not use an adhesion promoter, I just used Q-Tips and alcohol to clean the depressed area for the lettering. If you want to install permanently, use a promoter. I can not tell you which one because I did not use a promoter. Also I warmed the I.P pad with a hair dryer prior to the install.

Last edited by calemasters; 09-28-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:40 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Thanks!

We've got one vote for RPI, if done properly.

Any others?
Old 09-28-2009, 09:43 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Mine are the epoxy "domed" letters for Mid America Motor Works. I did not use an adhesion promoter, I just used Q-Tips and alcohol to clean the depressed area for the lettering. If you want to install permanently, use a promoter. I can not tell you which one because I did not use a promoter.
That sounds like they have some thickness/stiffness to them. True?
As mentioned, I'm scared of anything stiff in the lettering.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:16 PM
designerRob
Safety Car

I bought mine from SouthernCarParts. Initially mine wouldn't stick. I ended up cleaning the dash really well and using common silicone caulk based on a recommendation from a fellow owner. They've been stuck ever since. Good luck!
Old 09-28-2009, 10:24 PM
woulddug
Racer

I have the same thing going on with mine, you clean the letters and you can see an outline around letters. I removes a coating or something. I have used different Armorals, oils, . . . and it is still there

Old 09-28-2009, 10:30 PM
St.Char
Melting Slicks

Received 282 Likes on 166 Posts

Mine are the epoxy "domed" letters for Mid America Motor Works. I did not use an adhesion promoter, I just used Q-Tips and alcohol to clean the depressed area for the lettering. If you want to install permanently, use a promoter. I can not tell you which one because I did not use a promoter. Also I warmed the I.P pad with a hair dryer prior to the install.
This is what I've done too, 2 years no issues. I also used Gorilla glue gel and a tooth pic to apply it to the back side of the letters
Old 09-29-2009, 12:53 AM
Glen220
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Super Glue!

I had the ones that are plastic and domed. I cleaned the dash several times and was completely satisfied they would stick and stay. They didn't.

I carefully peeled them off, cleaned the dash again with alcohol and then using a super glue with the needle point tip, applied a few drops at various areas on the back of the lettering.

They have now stuck for over a year and show no signs of coming loose.

Be careful, as the super glue has tendency to get "stringy".

Glen
Old 09-29-2009, 03:33 AM
VipersRnotVettes
Racer

I bought mine on e-bay from a fellow in Arkansas, and followed his direction to a tee. Use alcohol to clean where the letters go, add heat with a hair dryer prior to putting in letters. Keep the back of the letters wet prior to applying, then once in place, towel dab over the letters, being really careful not to move them, then use a hair dryer for at approx 10 minutes to dry and seal the letters to the dash. Let sit for 24 before washing over them. So far so good, but it's only been a month since I applied them, so it may be way too early to hang one's hat on these yet. I also ordered and applied the ones for the back bumper, at the same time, same application method, and they are still stuck on, after a bunch of washes. If you want the e-bay addie, PM me.

Paul
Old 09-29-2009, 06:25 AM
cylon
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gearhead jim
there's been a million threads on this and i ended up more confused than before. Let's keep it to one simple question:

I'm looking for victory red decals to fill in the "corvette" on my passenger side dash. They must be paper-thin and flexible, i've had one case of airbag rash and don't want anything in the dash that would chew me up any more.

Thanks!
nope
Old 09-29-2009, 07:06 AM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

That sounds like they have some thickness/stiffness to them. True?
As mentioned, I'm scared of anything stiff in the lettering.
They are 3D letters, but they are very soft and supple. Similar to a soft foam. The vender said they are epoxy. I thought the were silicone. They have a very soft rubber type of texture. They are so soft and pliable it made then a little difficult to install due to the flexibility.

Last edited by calemasters; 09-29-2009 at 07:58 AM.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:16 AM
LOUSVETTE
NCM Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also used RPI's and a promoter. Mine have been on for 14 months.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:08 AM
ghostrunner
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tried two different kinds before getting RPI's. With the promoter they stick and no issues. Very good product

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone make Dash Letter Decals That Stick?

Old 09-29-2009, 09:16 AM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 271 Likes on 143 Posts

Does the promoter destroy the dash surface where the letters go so that you could never go back to stock if you wanted to?
Old 09-29-2009, 09:25 AM
sxeC7
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'09-'10

My problem is that I cleaned the area for the letters with alcohol and got the thin vinyl decal letters finally in place and stick, which was a real test of patience. Now the area around the letters is shiney compared to the rest of the dash's matte finish. I've tried the low gloss vinyl sprays to no avail. Any suggestions?
Old 09-29-2009, 09:33 AM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

I'm gonna paint mine...there is a previous thread on how to do it. I painted the letters in my 01 with a paint pen bought at Wal Mart. I lasted and looked great. Just take your time and if you mess up, wipe with alcohol or mineral spirits to remove any excess.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone make Dash Letter Decals That Stick?