C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Targa top removal

Old 10-04-2009, 12:41 PM
mbing09V
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by divvichild
There's what I call the ejector method. Sometimes there just isn't enough time in the day. Here are the steps:

1. Get up to speed on the freeway ~80 should do
2. Unlatch the passenger side front lever, followed by the driver side (Caution as top will now be loose)
3. Depress the rear latch button, and quickly pull down and release the lever.

Instant removal.

DISCLAIMER: I do not take responsibility for your actions when following this procedure. You do so at your own risk.
Now that is FUNNY
Old 10-04-2009, 01:01 PM
B-STOCK
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15, '17, '19

Originally Posted by -CM-

I think Ecklers makes a chrome handle. I personally would go with carbon fiber with your color.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:08 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,043 Likes on 1,357 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by lh4x4
The only thing that I have learned about taking the top off was when after having a long lunch with my wife on a hot summer day is put some gloves on.

We went out to the car after lunch to drive further up along the Mississippi River and my wife suggested removing the top. I reached in and undid the latches. I lifted the front a little from underneath and grabbed the front and then the back. I was in pain. The black roof was hot-hot-hot.

I got it to the grass at the side of the parking lot and put it down. It was the first time that I questioned liking the color black for a car.

I focused all my efforts on holding the top until I got to the grass. I cared more about what it would cost to repair the top if I dropped it onto the gravel lot. The heck with my hands as they would heal themselves over time.

My wife thought that it was very funny.
The Forum taught me to keep a pair of clean leather work gloves in the trunk:
No fingerprints on top
Better grip (don't use cotton)
No burned fingers
Old 10-04-2009, 11:43 PM
FunDriver
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by -CM-
Funny you should ask. Just the other day the wind was giving me a bit of trouble while I was trying to put the top back on, so I screwed on this handle I had in my junk drawer. It works pretty well, and you can hardly see the first holes I made where I got it a little crooked and off center. I just put some gray caulk in there. I'm thinking about putting one on the hatch to help lift it. The handle I have for it doesn't quite match the one on the top, but I think it will be OK. What do you think?

Shouldn't you put a handle on the underside as well so that you can pull it down tight to latch?
Old 10-05-2009, 04:19 PM
TigerVette
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 68 Posts

I ordered my Vette with the trunk monkey option. Nice convenience.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:31 PM
Gordon Shumway
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas08C6
I find it easier to do by myself. Hubby has helped a couple of times but I'm usually alone when I decide to go topless anyway.

That sounds like such a waste.

Anyway, worked better for me and I remove my top quite often on my drive home after work.
That's the spirit.....
Old 10-05-2009, 04:48 PM
David Ochoa
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas08C6
I find it easier to do by myself. Hubby has helped a couple of times but I'm usually alone when I decide to go topless anyway.

I used to open the doors, pop the latches and then stand outside the car, lift the top off and then store. It seemed a little tough on my back having to lift the top while standing 'away' from the car even a few inches.

I just changed out my tops a few days ago and put the smoke top on. I decided to open the doors, pop the latches and then when I went to lift the top I actually put my left foot on the floor board of the car (I'm standing on the drivers side) with my right foot still on the pavement. It really made lifting the top easier and I think because I'm so much closer to the car without touching the side.

Anyway, worked better for me and I remove my top quite often on my drive home after work.
That's what I do except I only open the drivers door!
Old 10-05-2009, 05:05 PM
LisasZR1
Lifetime NCM Member #2482
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by David Ochoa
That's what I do except I only open the drivers door!
I've started doing that too. I'm not sure why the book says open both doors or roll the windows down for that matter. One or the other should be sufficient.

Friday was a pretty day here in Texas with the top off. I drove about 100 miles and enjoyed every minute. Very relaxing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Targa top removal