C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are your methods for a smooth start in 1st gear?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 08:30 AM
golfbone
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 48 Posts

I agree.

I've been driving sticks for 32 years.....my first car was a 1978 Ford Fiesta with a stick and I've had a stick ever since then in my garage. This is my 2nd C6 and the first one had a problem putting the shifter into first from a stop now and then but this one is fine. In both cars the clutch was no different than any other car that I've owned but the power available is what makes it easy to take off with a chirp or wheelspin if you give it too much gas.

You can start in second (which I never do unless my mother in law is in the car) or you can start in first and let the clutch up gently until you feel it start to engage and then gently give it a touch of gas as you let up slowly further. Smoothe starts in first every time. To me there is much more initial feel of engagement on this car than in Porsche. Whenever I drive a Porsche I feel like I can't tell when the clutch has engaged in first but it usually take off smoothely. Just a very different feeling.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:16 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Humm, I just let the clutch out then apply light gas pedal. This is what you have to do when driving Big Rigs, otherwise you will toast a clutch or break a drive line. Most cars will leave the line with only letting the clutch engage slowly, without applying xtra fuel.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:24 AM
VETTE RN835
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Along the same line......after recently purchasing a 2009 coupe,I too have(and am still having "trouble" getting used to the clutch(have always driven stick,)Dont have any trouble with my boyfriends Z06 or his 2005(with mods). Clutch seems to "grab" and not be very smooth.Already installed shift skip. Any ideas????
Old 10-11-2009, 10:08 AM
BartonekDragRacing
Drifting

you rev it to 5k RPM then quickly let go of the clutch while applying full gas pedal. Repeat for 2nd gear.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:08 AM
pondo
Advanced

I've driven a stick shift car all my life including LT1 z28s, 3000gt VR4s (twin turbo beast), imprezza STI (single turbo beast) and now my C6 (beast of torque), granted i'm only 27. I'll have to say the C6 is probably the hardest to get used to due to the VERY soft clutch. It's also the easiest to drive in traffic!

As others have said, get a feel for the engagement point by pulling the clutch out without any gas until the car inches forward. Push the clutch in and repeat 15-20 times. Just do it and trust us.

The vette has so much torque you really don't need a lot of RPMs on flat ground. 1000-1300 RPM is all you need. Slowly pull the clutch out and as you move forward give it a little more gas to keep the 1000-1300 RPM range.

OR give it 1300 and just slide the clutch out slowly. She will not stall out but "shake" just a little till you get rollin'
Old 10-11-2009, 10:29 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I remember learning to drive a stick when I was about 14...it just takes practice to get the basics down before you can move-on to the finer points. One thing that might help...on level ground in a deserted parking lot practice letting the clutch out (in first gear) without giving it any gas and without stalling the car. Get to where you can finesse the clutch pedal...get a 'feel' for clutch engagement. When you can consistently startoff smoothly from an idle without giving the car gas then it should be easier to work the gas pedal into the equation. Good luck!
Old 10-11-2009, 10:42 AM
therealhitman
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by SanDiegoBert
Like buy a GS with launch control??
I was hoping for juuuust a bit more. Anyone else for moving this thread to OT
Old 10-11-2009, 10:44 AM
therealhitman
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by BartonekDragRacing
you rev it to 5k RPM then quickly let go of the clutch while applying full gas pedal. Repeat for 2nd gear.
Finally, a rational suggestion! Try it on a cloverleaf on-ramp too. Makes it soooo much easier.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:36 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by beden1
Wear soft flexible shoes like a worn in pair of sneakers. This will enable you to get a better feel for how the clutch engages. After trying all of my shoes, my sneakers work the best on my C6 ZO6, whereas my boat shoes worked the best on my C5.

Blip the throttle with the clutch pedal in, and then let the clutch pedal out slower than you would have say in your C5. This way you'll smooth out the whole engagement.

Relax, because if you're tense about getting it just right, your leg will be jerky, as well as your shifts.

After a while, everything will become second nature with your C6. Your shifts will ultimately be smoother, and you'll be more confident with the clutch pedal.
The above underlined and practice make the most sense. I actually bought some cindertrack running shoes because they are thin soled, and narrow (so they don't catch on other pedals). As to removing the spring under the dash, it is not recommended and specifically called out as such by GM.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:04 PM
pondo
Advanced

If i get into a stick shift car that i've never driven before. I'll take my left shoe/flipflop etc off. Direct feel FTW.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:12 PM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

Practice. First on level pavement. As soon as the clutch begins to move the car, do not continue to release it, until the disc is completely engaged. I'm not talking slipping. Use little throttle. Best suggestion..... use a friends car to practice on.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:09 PM
buffguy
Racer

Originally Posted by EuroRod
As soon as the clutch begins to move the car, do not continue to release it, until the disc is completely engaged. I'm not talking slipping. Use little throttle. Best suggestion..... use a friends car to practice on.
How would you know when the disc is fully engaged? My problem with starting from first gear is that i'm usually under 1k rpm after I fully release the clutch and I can hear the engine lug or the clutch slipping as I speed up. I also get the lug noise for a quick second after I fully release the clutch. Maybe i'm not fully engaging before I fully release the clutch?

It would be a great idea if someone can make a video of taking off smoothly in first gear.

Last edited by buffguy; 10-12-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:54 PM
John Mclain
Racer

I found the C6 clutch a little bit unusual myself.

After playing around with different comfort levels of driving off I have found what I like the most is to Lift the clutch pedal while not applying any gas until the clutch just starts to engage.
If you are on level ground it takes no gas to get you going enough to fully release the clutch. No jerking, No lugging etc just slowly walk it out.
Damn these engines have enough torque to roll out even on an a slight incline.
Unless I’m in a serious hurry to gallop to every stop sign or street light this works for me most of the time.
This places very little if no wear on your clutch components as well.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:59 PM
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Trade it for an automatic. Nice and smooth every time!

Last edited by 8850; 10-12-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:58 PM
bps999
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its a grabby clutch with a narrow engagement window, and it's also a tall first gear. If it's lugging you prob. need a longer pause with the the clutch at the engagement point combined with more gas. The car wants a firm hand, you cant be timid with it or it'll object.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:28 PM
N8sFavToy
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SanDiegoBert
Like buy a GS with launch control??
or "at least you didn't buy an automatic"

Real answer is you will get use to it, most answers here are correct. Figure out the release point of the clutch and makes it way easier. I had the same issue when I bought mine, but I rarely drove manual before I bought mine. Practice pays off.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:57 PM
buffguy
Racer

Originally Posted by bps999
its a grabby clutch with a narrow engagement window, and it's also a tall first gear. If it's lugging you prob. need a longer pause with the the clutch at the engagement point combined with more gas. The car wants a firm hand, you cant be timid with it or it'll object.
I agree with you that this clutch has a short engagement window. My previous car was a mustang and that clutch had a long range of engagement. Its taking me some time getting use to it. I might be releasing the clutch too early and creating this lugging. How can you tell if the clutch is fully engaged in the c6?

Thanks. I will try your advice, but wouldn't that create more wear on the clutch, etc?

Last edited by buffguy; 10-12-2009 at 07:01 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To What are your methods for a smooth start in 1st gear?

Old 10-12-2009, 08:58 PM
bps999
Pro

Originally Posted by buffguy
Thanks. I will try your advice, but wouldn't that create more wear on the clutch, etc?
well, a bogged pull away, with low throttle and/or fast clutch release is easy on the clutch in terms of wear, but it sort of shakes the drive train a little bit, and is basically un-satisfying...

but you're right, on the other end of the spectrum, too much gas and too much clutch slip is very bad for the clutch.

so, you have to shoot for the middle, enough gas and clutch slip to be smooth, but not so much that it is abusive. I found that with the big, relatively slow reving engine, my initial tendency was to baby the throttle too much, so I upped my engagement rpm, to maybe 1200-1500, and put a slight pause in my clutch release at the engagement point, and that gives me a pull away that I'm satisfied with and I dont think is at all abusive.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:41 AM
Mensan150
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I recall the first time I drove my C6 for the test drive. Despite having driven straight geared cars all my life, I let the car stall several times. It was puzzling and a bit embarrassing. However, with a little practice I can now start off trouble free. So, as others have said, practice, practice, practice. Every transmission has its own personality.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:10 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Practice and good coordination helps.

First thing is to find out just where the clutch starts to engage. I would go to a parking lot maybe a school when not is session, and try and find a very slight downhill. Go bare foot and using the clutch only let it out slowly. The car should not die if done correctly. The downhill will help. Next do this on a level ground. Remember you are not using the throttle at this point. Next start using the throttle but you should of learned by now that not much pedal is necessary. Obviously more throttle is needed on inclines and if you want to accelerate quicker. This is where the coordination and practice comes in.

This is the procedure I did with my two kids. I made them learn to drive on a manual transmission too.

Learn to walk before running.

ha ha just realized this is a very old thread, anyway my thoughts still stand.

Last edited by Boomer111; 09-03-2017 at 10:14 AM.

Quick Reply: What are your methods for a smooth start in 1st gear?