C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Comprehensive Fob Programming Instructions

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 11:13 AM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,786 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by ToomRaider
05 C6. Trying to follow long method of the first post, starting at step 11. I have fob 2 and one programmed as fob 3. I am trying to erase them and reset as fob 1 and 2.
Maybe the switch contacts are dirty - try squirting some contact cleaner into the key hole.

Last edited by FatsWaller; 04-14-2019 at 11:14 AM.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:05 PM
ToomRaider
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Good point! I’ll try that.
Old 04-14-2019, 02:04 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ToomRaider
Good point! I’ll try that.
OK, good luck. If that doesn't work, post #517 above talks about shorting some wires together. Perhaps read that, and reach out to the member who posted it via PM and see if they can help you with the fine details.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:09 PM
Droshki
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you cclive for the effort in creating these instructions. This was question #2 since acquisition of my 07, and your procedure worked flawlessly, both versions. I did the short version first so I had a quick backup fob but it programmed as #4, so later when I had more time, I did the long version, erasing both fobs and reprogramming them as #1 and #2.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:58 PM
steve2ski
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I recently bought a 2008 corvette coupe ZHZ - came with only 1 FOB with key, I wanted a second FOB so purchased a after market one off ebay. Started with the manual, could not get the car into the programming mode per those instructions. Been reading on these comments and suggestions still no luck of getting to the programming mode per the DIC stays blank. The only thing I've noticed is the metal key turns very stiff so I pulled the carpet out from around the trunk lock mechanism and watched the cable pull the lever on that didn't see anything unusual there either.

Any help or suggestions would be welcome,
Old 07-21-2019, 06:43 PM
steve2ski
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by steve2ski
I recently bought a 2008 corvette coupe ZHZ - came with only 1 FOB with key, I wanted a second FOB so purchased a after market one off ebay. Started with the manual, could not get the car into the programming mode per those instructions. Been reading on these comments and suggestions still no luck of getting to the programming mode per the DIC stays blank. The only thing I've noticed is the metal key turns very stiff so I pulled the carpet out from around the trunk lock mechanism and watched the cable pull the lever on that didn't see anything unusual there either.

Any help or suggestions would be welcome,
Just had a after thought (brain fart). Wonder if those ZHZ's were setup so FOB programming could only be done by a dealer? Kinda of like a days rental program for creating a new working FOB and the car disappears later after it's returned?
Old 07-21-2019, 07:04 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by steve2ski
Just had a after thought (brain fart). Wonder if those ZHZ's were setup so FOB programming could only be done by a dealer? Kinda of like a days rental program for creating a new working FOB and the car disappears later after it's returned?
If so, no one has ever mentioned this before, AFAIK.

I suppose the ZHZ could have actually been Canadian in this regard, but again, this is the first time it's been brought up. From your narrative, I would guess that you just aren't turning it far enough (for fear of breaking it). If you spray WD-40 up there and work it, it may be easier to get it to turn fully. They can get pretty nasty and filled with gunk.
Old 08-02-2019, 02:56 PM
toopoorforthis
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought 2009 three years ago. Had one fob. Bought an additional fob for wife and successfully programmed it. Original fob has quit working and now am attempting to program another new fob off of the first new fob. Nothing is happening when I put newest fob into glove box slot. Can someone please help me with this?
Old 08-16-2019, 04:34 PM
halfatruck
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I may have missed it, (probably multiple posts) but any ideas on why the DIC will not come on to program a new fob. I have inserted the current fob in the glovebox slot (without the battery) and the car will start, so I'm assuming that the slot is ok,,
Old 08-17-2019, 07:42 AM
toopoorforthis
3rd Gear

Default halfatruck

I am neither a mechanic nor an electrician. My DIC did not show that new fob was programmed, but fob does work after programming. I have no idea why. I'm just glad that it does. I have noticed that the alarm, that chirps when I shut the door and leave the car, no longer does that, which is fine with me. I don't know if that is a coincidence or has something to do with new fob. Sorry that I am not more help.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:44 AM
halfatruck
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I found the problem (me), apparently I wasn't turning the key hard enough..put a little more 'elbow grease' to it and it worked fine,
Thanks
The following users liked this post:
Elijah71 (04-26-2020)
Old 08-17-2019, 05:35 PM
James Salinas
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Be sure and not have car in on or acc mode. Some of the videos and explanations say to do this but you do not...
The following users liked this post:
steve2ski (05-08-2020)
Old 10-14-2019, 12:56 PM
Homebetter@aol.com
Navigator

Awesome, this just saved me $150.00 at the dealer. Although the trunk pop doesnt work with the new fob? any ideas? did I do it wrong? thanks
Old 10-14-2019, 01:00 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by Homebetter@aol.com
Awesome, this just saved me $150.00 at the dealer. Although the trunk pop doesnt work with the new fob? any ideas? did I do it wrong? thanks
Could be the switch is dirty. Try pulling it out and cleaning it.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:40 PM
Craig007
Cruising

I don't have any ideas on the trunk release, mine worked well with the new fob
Old 11-02-2019, 06:02 PM
ericfother
Instructor

Just want to thank the folks who put this guide together. After 11 years my FOB's were giving out. Ordered one and used the procedures to program it with no issues except one of my own making. I have an aftermarket stereo with backup camera...and I didn't realize the backup camera, which is a license plate bracket, was blocking my key from turning fully. It would unlock the hatch so I thought I was turning it far enough. Took off the bracket...and then managed to get the car into programming mode.

Old 11-02-2019, 06:16 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by ericfother
Just want to thank the folks who put this guide together. After 11 years my FOB's were giving out. Ordered one and used the procedures to program it with no issues except one of my own making. I have an aftermarket stereo with backup camera...and I didn't realize the backup camera, which is a license plate bracket, was blocking my key from turning fully. It would unlock the hatch so I thought I was turning it far enough. Took off the bracket...and then managed to get the car into programming mode.
Just curious, but what do you mean by "giving out?"

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Comprehensive Fob Programming Instructions

Old 11-03-2019, 11:28 AM
ericfother
Instructor

When the batteries finally started to die I was a careful as I could be in prying the FOBS apart but after I replaced the batteries they would never quite click back together as tight as they originally were. Sometimes when I approach the car with a FOB it wont unlock until I squeeze the bottom of the remote to make sure it was making contact. My #2 remote after battery replacement would hardly ever work. squeezing it together. taking it apart and checking that the battery was making contact. none of it really brought that remote back to full working order.

So. I ordered a single remote off amazon. followed the full procedures. made the new remote #1. "old" #1 became #2. and the 'old" #2 remote is now the "last resort remote if all other fail hope you can start your car" remote.

Last edited by ericfother; 11-03-2019 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:08 PM
Richiez
Advanced

Hi
When do you have to uee the long procedure?
Old 12-02-2019, 03:37 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Richiez
Hi
When do you have to uee the long procedure?
You would use the long procedure when you want to erase all known fobs from the car's memory, and start 'from scratch'. Then, the order in which you re-introduce the fobs determines how they are recognized by the car regardless of the number imprinted in the plastic case. Let's say you purchased a used vette, and it only had one fob, the other having been lost at some time. So you purchase a new fob. If you use the short procedure to introduce the new fob, likely it will end up as fob#3, since the car probably already knows about the original 2 fobs. Let's say you were missing the fob with #2 imprinted on it, and wanted another fob#2 so that you could use the memory functions with it. Then you would use the long procedure to erase all known fobs, and stick #1 into the slot, program it, followed by #2 (the new one that you purchased). Then you have the fobs in logical order to match what is imprinted on them. Also note that you can program up to 4 fobs to be recognized by the car. Only logical fobs 1 and 2 can use the memory functions.

Quick Reply: C6 Comprehensive Fob Programming Instructions