C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Comprehensive Fob Programming Instructions

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 02:59 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by HKH
After replacing the battery, the two fob batteries, reprogramming the fobs I was dead in the water. I then checked the fobs and I had put the new batteries in backwards. Problem solved.
You don't have to reprogram the fob after changing any battery. The fob and the car never forget anything.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:26 AM
Skyfox16
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Does any one know if the 2014-2016 key will work with the 05-07s?
Old 04-11-2018, 05:55 PM
Skyfox16
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

So I have a 2007 and tried to program a 2008 fob following the short procedure.

It programmed the fob supposedly but the fob won’t start or unlock the car.

When i I tried to program it again it wanted to program #4 and it says known fob when I put the 2008 fob in the glove box slot.

Any ideas?
Old 05-15-2018, 11:03 AM
Craig007
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Purchased one of the newer fobs from a club member for my 2005. Programmed easy as 3rd key to learn I can not program options with 3rd fob. Followed your long procedure to make new fob no. 1 and original fobs as 2 and 3. Worked great, I like to new type fob over the old type that came with the car. Now if only the hidden key in the fob would fit the trunk .
Old 05-17-2018, 10:49 AM
RobJoy
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Default FOB rekeying

Originally Posted by Craig007
Purchased one of the newer fobs from a club member for my 2005. Programmed easy as 3rd key to learn I can not program options with 3rd fob. Followed your long procedure to make new fob no. 1 and original fobs as 2 and 3. Worked great, I like to new type fob over the old type that came with the car. Now if only the hidden key in the fob would fit the trunk .
I ordered a replacement fob shell on ebay ($12) that has the replacement blank and took one of my existing (bought used) fobs to a locksmith and had the blank cut to fit ($7). But, I think I saw on here recently the number for the blank so you really don't need to buy one of those replacement shells. Can't remember the number of the blank. Might be on this particular post.

Last edited by RobJoy; 05-23-2018 at 10:38 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 05-22-2018, 02:33 PM
Mark Jenkins(13)
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Thanks for the info. I did find it in my manual but yours is easier to read. Did it no issues not really that hard but long due to the 3 10 minute waits.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:18 PM
mellojoe
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 51 Posts

Can confirm. Thread from 2009 still relevant in 2018. Picked up a 2nd key fob. Did the short program. Took no time at all, including doing the test of the existing key to ensure the glovebox antenna was working correctly. Super easy. Thanks.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:45 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by Skyfox16
Does any one know if the 2014-2016 key will work with the 05-07s?
It absolutely will not. The C7 key is laser cut, and the blanks aren't even remotely similar. The locking mechanism isn't the same on the differ gens, either.

L to R: C7, later C6, early C6:

Old 05-25-2018, 07:51 PM
OregonMike
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

Pulled up this page on my phone to program my new fob this afternoon. Couldn't have been easier!

Also, without starting a TIFU thread or really, more like a few weeks ago IFU thread, I learned that one should pay attention to the orientation of the battery when replacing them. My main fob died, swapped out the battery a few weeks ago and it still wasn't happy.

Started using fob2 and was starting to get 'fob not detected' here & there and was scared that my only working fob was about to die like fob 1. Got the new one programmed today and popped 1 apart to try another battery only to notice I'd had the battery installed backwards the whole time

Now I have 3 working fobs I'll use the new one, old ones are all scratched up anyway

Can't find the "I'm a dumbass" smiley
Old 05-26-2018, 10:48 AM
Craig007
Cruising

Default C6 key

can the later C6 key inside the fob be made to work the trunk on an earlier C6? the key appears to be the same only thinner. looks like it would be too loose in the key slot.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:47 AM
Logansar
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thanks....

Thanks! I have never lost a FOB... broke a case and transferred the guts so never needed to program one. Last week I lost mine. I ordered one. It came in mid week. My wife had my car this weekend while I used the truck. She lost the last one! Lol 2 in 2 weeks!

So us8ng your instruction it was very easy to program the new FOB and get back in motion! Now yo order another one! Ha

Sarge

Originally Posted by cclive
I have redone the instructions to include a test of the glovebox slot before doing the long procedure so that people don't get into a situation where they erase all the old fobs and then find that the slot doesn't work and they can't add new fobs back to the system. I also would recommend that you attach a battery tender or charger to the car if you have one as a low battery can cause all kinds of crazy behavior from the car. This is especially important when doing the long procedure as it takes 30 minutes. Also, it is a good idea to disable the autolock feature if you have enabled it because it is a pain to have the car lock itself on you while doing this procedure and then have the horn honk when you open the door. Please keep in mind that cars made for export to Canada can only do the short procedure, the long must be done by a dealer. Cars made for export to Europe cannot do either long or short procedure, they must be programmed by a dealer. I believe this is the case for cars destined for the GCC countries also, but would like to hear from an owner there to confirm it.
Since the glovebox slot is something that most C6 owners never have used, they would normally be unaware that it is not working and may have never worked since the car was made. This is unique in the car because almost all the other systems in the car have been used at least once by the owner so as to know if they work. The metal key in the trunk lock would be another area that should be tested by the owner.
The glovebox slot has no electrical plug in it. There is no direct, wired connection to the fob...it is simply a place that holds the fob right next to what is basically an antenna. The end of the fob that holds the keyring must face outwards and the fob buttons must face to the passenger side.
Here are the instructions including the long, short and the test procedure for the slot.

C6 Fob Programming Instructions

Before starting, it is important to make sure that the glovebox slot is working properly. If it is not, and the long procedure is started, then the car will be stripped of its fob programming, but will then not be able to accept new fob programming through the slot. This will leave the car unable to be started. Since most C6 owners have never tested the slot, or had to use it to start the car with a dead fob, they would be unaware if it had never been working properly since the car was new. To make sure that the glovebox slot is working, follow steps 1-6 below. Then in step 7, you may either insert the new, unprogrammed fob into the slot and continue to step 8, or you may insert one of the fobs that is currently programmed to the car into the slot. If the slot is presented with a fob that is ALREADY programmed to the car, the DIC will say “Known Fob”. This shows us that the slot is working correctly by recognizing this fob. Push the bottom half of the start button to end the session if you were just testing the slot for proper operation.

C6 Fob, Short Procedure….use these instructions 1-10 when you have a working fob and just want to add another to the system, or to test the operation of the glovebox slot.

1. Put drivers window down all the way, then turn car off
2. Unlock car and open trunk
3. Glove box open
4. Put working fob on console next to shifter (the one you are currently using to drive the car) IMPORTANT. Also make sure no cellphones are in the car.
5. Put key in trunk keyhole and turn key five times in less than 5 seconds.
6. DIC will now beep and light up and say “Ready for fob 3”.
7. Put new unprogrammed fob in slot by glovebox with buttons facing right (passenger) side and keyring facing outwards.
8. Wait and watch DIC. When it says “Ready for fob 4” it is done. Up to four Fobs may be programmed to the car total.
9. When all Fobs are programmed, push OFF/ACC (bottom half of start button) to turn off DIC.
10. Test all four buttons on fob and then take away all other fobs and check car starting with new fob(s).

Testing the glovebox slot above. Step 6 gets the system into the program mode so that if you then put an unknown fob into the slot in step 7, it will be added to the car. If you put the already working fob into the slot in step 7, the DIC will say "KNOWN FOB" and nothing additional will be programmed. When it says KNOWN FOB, it shows you that the slot is working as it has read the fob and told you that it already has that fob programmed to the car. At this point, just push the OFF part of the start button and all is good, no changes made. If , at step 7, you put a known fob in the slot and the DIC does not say KNOWN FOB, then the slot is not working and you should not do the long procedure.

C6 Fob Long Procedure….use these instructions 11-22 to erase car memory and reprogram all Fobs. Be sure to confirm proper operation of the glovebox slot with the short procedure before using this one. Any lost Fobs that are not reprogrammed with this procedure will no longer work on the car. Lost Fobs that are later found may be added to the car with the short programming procedure. This procedure requires three consecutive ten minute waiting periods, so plan on spending about a half hour to do this, during which the car may not be moved. Remember that the number printed on the Fob only indicates the way it was first programmed at the factory. All Fobs are identical. The order in which they are placed in the glovebox slot determines what number the Fob is.

11. Drivers window down, car off
12. Trunk open
13. Glove box open
14. Make sure NO Fobs are anywhere near the car. IMPORTANT.
15. Put key in trunk keyhole and turn key five times in less than 5 seconds.
16. DIC will now beep and light up and say “Off/Acc to learn” If you decide at this point NOT to do the programming now, push the TOP half of the Start button and the car will return to normal. With step 17, all previous fobs will be erased. To continue with programming:
17. Push bottom half of the Start button. DIC will say to wait 10 minutes and will start counting down the minutes. You may close the trunk and car door while waiting for the ten minute countdowns.
18. After the first 10 minute countdown, DIC will again say “Off/Acc to learn”. Push bottom half of Start button again. DIC will again start counting down the ten minutes.
19. After the second 10 minute countdown, DIC will again say “Off/Acc to learn”. Push bottom half of Start button again. DIC will again start counting down the ten minutes.
20. After this third ten minute period is over, DIC will say “Ready for Fob #1” Regardless of the number on the Fob, the FIRST Fob that is put in the glovebox slot will be recognized as Fob #1. Put the first Fob in the glovebox slot with the buttons facing to the right (passenger) side and the keyring end facing outwards.
21. After 3 or four seconds the DIC will beep and say “Ready for Fob #2”. Put the second Fob in the slot. The car will take a maximum of four fobs. When you have no more Fobs to program, push the bottom half of the Start button to end the programming session.
22. Test all buttons on the fobs to make sure they work, then take all fobs away from the car and, one by one, try using each to start the car.

Please read through the rest of the thread as many people have added their tips and tricks...lots of good info

Added 9/13/2015: If the car CAN be put into the programming mode but the slot FAILS to recognize a fob, it could be that the system antenna that is attached directly behind the slot is either: 1. defective or 2. (More likely)Unplugged from its' wiring harness or 3. (Also more likely) not properly positioned in its' own slot directly behind the glovebox slot. Pulling the glovebox out will allow this to be easily observed. This antenna must be very very close to the fob in the slot in order to program the fob. See this thread for a diagram and pics of a situation where the antenna was not replaced into its' slot after work was done. It caused serious problems and yet was a very simple fix:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...b-only-me.html

Thanks to GhostC6 and Dano523 for some good pictures, diagrams and analysis on the problem.
The following users liked this post:
Homebetter@aol.com (10-14-2019)
Old 05-29-2018, 04:24 PM
Stats
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just wanted to express my appreciation for the step-by-step instructions in this thread ... and all of the comments made by other owners. Despite being a Corvette noob, I was able to pull off the long procedure without incident on my 2011 GS despite the fact that the key had to be turned pretty hard to trigger the process.

Last edited by Stats; 05-29-2018 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:54 PM
maktonc6
Intermediate

This thread has some age in it.

I have a situation with the receiver in my C6A6. To start I saw some people stating the RDCLR is behind the stereo deck. On my car, it's above the air vents in the center dash and I would not need to remove the Deck. I'm confident that my RDCLR is is out. A few weeks back, I kept hearing clicking relays and could not pinpoint them, and all of a sudden, while turning the car off, I received "no fob detected" when we were still in the car. I was able to lock and unlock doors, as well as pop open the trunk, but the car did not notice the FOB for me open the doors (without unlocking them) and I could not start the car. I put the FOB into the glovebox and was able to start the car. I noticed that opening doors, starting the car, I did not here the symphony of relays clicking. So, I got another RDCLR from Tyler, Texas (I'm in Phoenix) and installed it into the car. Problem is, I cannot get the DIC to kick in. I do hear the symphony of relays again, where I do not with the old RDCLR, but I cannot get the new RDCLR into leaning mode to it can learn my FOB.

I've tried the "open trunk and key 5 times" and the "ground the single wire 5 times" to no avail. Of course, with the new RDCLR, I have no FOBs for it so I need to do the long procedure. is there something I'm missing here? Not interested in putting this car back together with the old RDCLR just so the stealership can rip me off (they already done done that) by charging me another RDCLR, plus rippng my dash open again and charging me a ton of money when I already know what is wrong with this thing. Just need this to go into Leaning mode to I can get these FOBs programed to the new RDCLR. are RDCLR's keys to the main computers, causing this issue? Again, Stealership is not an option as they have already screwed me over.

Please let me know if I need to add anything more and thank you, in advance, for your assistance.

-Mak

Last edited by maktonc6; 06-12-2018 at 11:22 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:25 PM
maktonc6
Intermediate

Well, yesterday I ordered 4 new relays for my old RCDLR. The old relays have been removed and am just waiting on the new ones to see if I can fix this RCDLR and get my FOBs working again. if not, looks like I'll end up with a Tech2 Programmer unless someone wants to help out a fellow Corvette owner in Phoenix.

Mike
Old 06-18-2018, 05:27 PM
Martyn
Advanced

Ok my FOB is not detected,, I have checked the battery and its up to full capacity,, the instructions state for the window to be down,, thats not happening as the FOB is not detected? any ideas?
Old 06-18-2018, 08:48 PM
Martyn
Advanced

Originally Posted by Martyn
Ok my FOB is not detected,, I have checked the battery and its up to full capacity,, the instructions state for the window to be down,, thats not happening as the FOB is not detected? any ideas?
Also I went to do the FOB learning procedure that I have done many times before with Various vettes I havce owned and this one I do the key in the trunk slot 5 times in under 5 seconds and nothing,, I am suspecting a bad BCM?

I have a Tech II and will see if I can get communications to the vehicle,, also its stuck in Drive/Neutral too so I have a small list of problems
Old 06-19-2018, 08:40 PM
MCCA76
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Martyn
Also I went to do the FOB learning procedure that I have done many times before with Various vettes I havce owned and this one I do the key in the trunk slot 5 times in under 5 seconds and nothing,, I am suspecting a bad BCM?

I have a Tech II and will see if I can get communications to the vehicle,, also its stuck in Drive/Neutral too so I have a small list of problems
The contact in the key switch may be dirty

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Comprehensive Fob Programming Instructions

Old 06-20-2018, 06:18 AM
Martyn
Advanced

Originally Posted by MCCA76
The contact in the key switch may be dirty
True,, pain in the rear to get to but I will dissasemble it and clean it and try again, I have ordered a new BCM as I think that is the real issue despite no sign of damage or moisture etc
Old 06-20-2018, 09:50 AM
mlehere
Navigator

Default C6 Fob Programming

I have one question. I recently purchased a fob for my 2006 Vert. The fob was used as a backup on another 06 Vette. Can I reprogram this fob to my car using the short procedure?
Old 06-20-2018, 10:04 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by mlehere
I have one question. I recently purchased a fob for my 2006 Vert. The fob was used as a backup on another 06 Vette. Can I reprogram this fob to my car using the short procedure?
Yes unless there are already 4 programmed to the car. Then you would need to do the long procedure. If there is only 1 and 2 then the new one will be #3 however you not have access to any options.

Quick Reply: C6 Comprehensive Fob Programming Instructions