C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealers can't fix my car! What now??

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 02:37 AM
lstorm2003
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dealers can't fix my car! What now??

So my 08 Z51 manual 6 sp has 15,000 miles on it and has been in service for about a year now. About 5,000 miles ago it started making this loud clicking noise when you make a sharp left turn... I figured no big deal, a trip to the dealer should sort it out. Boy was I wrong...

So I brought it to Lou Bachrodt Coconut Creek and they replaced 'front wheel hub bearings'. Gave me the car back, problem is gone, for the time being.. A few days later the noise comes back. I bring it back to them, the service writer says must've been a bad set. Replaces them again. A few days later, the noise comes back again! Now he says they must have 'a bad batch of wheel hub bearings'. Long story short he replaces them again, then a few days later again, then a few days later yet again, then about a week later, AGAIN!!

So this last time, they replaced them, the noise went away for about 2 months. Well now its back again, so I brought it to a new dealer. Ed Morse Sawgrass Chevrolet. This service writer claims his "Corvette Guy" is the best and is really miticulous, and that they will sort this problem out "once and for all". LOL!!! I tell him that's pretty much the same thing the last dealer told me about "their guy". (Everyone says "their guy" is the best. But I say, they can't ALL be the best!)

So they keep the car for 2 days and call me to tell me it wasn't ever the wheel bearings. They say its the steering rack. I say ok great, I go pick up the car.

BTW here is what the invoice says "POWER STEERING GEAR SHIFTING ON TURNS. R&R STEERING GEAR AND REPOSITIONED. LUBED CONTACT POINTS AND RETORQURED. 3.5 HOURS = $348.18"

So anyway, I picked up the car (this morning) drove the car all day today then tonight on the way to dinner, you guessed it, the clicking sound is BACK IN FULL FORCE!!!

What the hell do I do now??? How many times do I let them try to fix it? Doesn't GM have some kind of a master mechanic that can come look at the cars that the dealer monkeys can't figure out??
Old 10-25-2009, 02:48 AM
Mike McG
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thats sucks! sometimes if I turn left hard I hear a clicking noise, but its only once in a great while... I say keep going to the dealer till its fixed...
Old 10-25-2009, 04:13 AM
CORVETTE2009
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default logic

I read your thread and tried to look at it with some logic; here goes.

Whenever they replaced the bearings the problem went away. That means the noise had to be related to the bearings or something else that the mechanics loosened, removed, etc. when they replaced the bearings. Since it keeps coming back, is there something that keeps damaging the bearings? The spindle? The wheel? Suspension part? Bottom line, I'd take it back and start talking about the Federal Lemon Law (Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act). Look it up; seems to cover your situation. Good luck.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:17 AM
0Mike Yeager@Eastcoast Performance
Former Vendor

Mike Yeager@Eastcoast Performance's Avatar

Dont give up... Ask to speak with the District Area Warranty Division Supervisior...givem hell...
Old 10-25-2009, 04:28 AM
toxin440
Melting Slicks

and be sure to get your money back...
Old 10-25-2009, 06:50 AM
09C6Coupe
Racer

What wheels are on the car? Stock? Are they forged aluminum? This my sound stupid to some (don't worry I have a flame suit) but I have been through this before, not on a vette, but been through it nonetheless.

Anyway, after many hours of diagnosis, I found the clicking coming from my front wheels was the wheel center caps and was directly related to wheel lug nut torque. Too much torque, click, click, click. Tightening down the wheel lug nuts with the wheels on the ground and the full weight of the car on them, click, click, click.

The way I fixed it, properly torqueing the wheel lug nuts in three passes with the wheels off the ground.

Again, this was not on a vette but it worked for me on forged aluminum rims with removable center caps.

Quick test, take your wheels off, remove the center caps, put the wheels back on, and torque them down in three passes. First pass snug, 2nd pass half the recommend torque, final pass recommend torque. Use a star pattern when torqueing.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:28 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Yeager@Eastcoast Performance
Dont give up... Ask to speak with the District Area Warranty Division Supervisior...givem hell...
Old 10-25-2009, 09:34 AM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 09C6Coupe
What wheels are on the car? Stock? Are they forged aluminum? This my sound stupid to some (don't worry I have a flame suit) but I have been through this before, not on a vette, but been through it nonetheless.

Anyway, after many hours of diagnosis, I found the clicking coming from my front wheels was the wheel center caps and was directly related to wheel lug nut torque. Too much torque, click, click, click. Tightening down the wheel lug nuts with the wheels on the ground and the full weight of the car on them, click, click, click.

The way I fixed it, properly torqueing the wheel lug nuts in three passes with the wheels off the ground.

Again, this was not on a vette but it worked for me on forged aluminum rims with removable center caps.

Quick test, take your wheels off, remove the center caps, put the wheels back on, and torque them down in three passes. First pass snug, 2nd pass half the recommend torque, final pass recommend torque. Use a star pattern when torqueing.
You don't have to remove the wheels to take the center caps off. Just pop off the center caps. Right???
Old 10-25-2009, 10:14 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by CORVETTE2009

Whenever they replaced the bearings the problem went away. That means the noise had to be related to the bearings or something else that the mechanics loosened, removed, etc. when they replaced the bearings. Since it keeps coming back, is there something that keeps damaging the bearings? The spindle? The wheel? Suspension part? Bottom line, I'd take it back and start talking about the Federal Lemon Law (Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act). Look it up; seems to cover your situation. Good luck.

If, after replacing the wheel bearings, the noise would subside for up to months at a time it seems likely the problem is related to the bearings in some way. While the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act does set forth provisions pertaining to warranty coverage and resolving disputes I don't know that this situation has escalated into a warranty "dispute" at this point. Lemon Law's differ from one state to another. If the OP qualifies under the provisions of his state Lemon Law it might be advantageous to initiate the process. Commencing the process would insure your rights under the lemon law won't lapse due to a time limit for filing and it might 'motivate' GM to put their full technical expertise into solving the problem (over and above what a dealership can provide).
Old 10-25-2009, 10:22 AM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

lemon law............
Old 10-25-2009, 10:27 AM
coolcat
Race Director

I thought I read someplace that if you have to take your ride back to the dealer
to fix the same problem 3 times under warranty
then your car is classified as a lemon.
Which means your due a new car.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:27 AM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O

If, after replacing the wheel bearings, the noise would subside for up to months at a time it seems likely the problem is related to the bearings in some way. While the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act does set forth provisions pertaining to warranty coverage and resolving disputes I don't know that this situation has escalated into a warranty "dispute" at this point. Lemon Law's differ from one state to another. If the OP qualifies under the provisions of his state Lemon Law it might be advantageous to initiate the process. Commencing the process would insure your rights under the lemon law won't lapse due to a time limit for filing and it might 'motivate' GM to put their full technical expertise into solving the problem (over and above what a dealership can provide).
Old 10-25-2009, 10:39 AM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by lstorm2003
So my 08 Z51 manual 6 sp has 15,000 miles on it and has been in service for about a year now. About 5,000 miles ago it started making this loud clicking noise when you make a sharp left turn... I figured no big deal, a trip to the dealer should sort it out. Boy was I wrong...

So I brought it to Lou Bachrodt Coconut Creek and they replaced 'front wheel hub bearings'. Gave me the car back, problem is gone, for the time being.. A few days later the noise comes back. I bring it back to them, the service writer says must've been a bad set. Replaces them again. A few days later, the noise comes back again! Now he says they must have 'a bad batch of wheel hub bearings'. Long story short he replaces them again, then a few days later again, then a few days later yet again, then about a week later, AGAIN!!

So this last time, they replaced them, the noise went away for about 2 months. Well now its back again, so I brought it to a new dealer. Ed Morse Sawgrass Chevrolet. This service writer claims his "Corvette Guy" is the best and is really miticulous, and that they will sort this problem out "once and for all". LOL!!! I tell him that's pretty much the same thing the last dealer told me about "their guy". (Everyone says "their guy" is the best. But I say, they can't ALL be the best!)

So they keep the car for 2 days and call me to tell me it wasn't ever the wheel bearings. They say its the steering rack. I say ok great, I go pick up the car.

BTW here is what the invoice says "POWER STEERING GEAR SHIFTING ON TURNS. R&R STEERING GEAR AND REPOSITIONED. LUBED CONTACT POINTS AND RETORQURED. 3.5 HOURS = $348.18"

So anyway, I picked up the car (this morning) drove the car all day today then tonight on the way to dinner, you guessed it, the clicking sound is BACK IN FULL FORCE!!!

What the hell do I do now??? How many times do I let them try to fix it? Doesn't GM have some kind of a master mechanic that can come look at the cars that the dealer monkeys can't figure out??

hmmmmm.....check out these links...they may help you

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...-clicking.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...ick-issue.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...left-rear.html

try torquing the lug nuts to 90 lbs insteal of 100 and see if that helps

keep us updated

Last edited by c54u; 10-25-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:34 PM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Old 10-25-2009, 12:36 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Lemon laws vary by state. First thing you need to do is research yours. In Utah they have 3 chances to fix your car or more than one month in the service bay within the first year. You then must start the process with the dealer. This is the easiest way to get a new car. They'll charge you for wear and tear which can be up to $.50 a mile in Utah. They charged me $.22 on my Envoy Denali. It took them about 6 months because the person that I needed to talk to was never in. Lucky for me GMC called me and asked me what I thought about the vehicle. I talked to her for about 1 hour but I had my new vehicle within a week.

Your problem seems like it goes away temporarily with new parts. They seem to be concentrating on one area so something else in that area should be the culprit. Maybe it is the hub itself. Did you run over any potholes with that side of your car?
Old 10-25-2009, 12:54 PM
1yy07vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike Yeager@Eastcoast Performance
Old 10-25-2009, 01:41 PM
lstorm2003
Racer

Originally Posted by 09C6Coupe

Stock 5 Stars. Will try the torque suggestion...

Get notified of new replies

To Dealers can't fix my car! What now??

Old 10-25-2009, 01:45 PM
lstorm2003
Racer

Unfourtunatly the car has already been lemoned. It was in the shop 6 months ago for 68 days for a transmission problem that the dealer would make worse each time they tried to fix it.

Mind you, I don't actually believe in lemon cars, only lemon mechanics. They did ulimately fix the transmission issue by replacing it with a brand new unit. But it took me getting a lawyer and going through the lemon process (we settled the case for cash).

The problem is that GM wants to let these dealers try and fix problems which they don't have the skills to fix.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:50 PM
09C6Coupe
Racer

Originally Posted by JJC5
You don't have to remove the wheels to take the center caps off. Just pop off the center caps. Right???
Dunno, never checked them out on my vette yet. But I guarantee you I went through months of frustration with my previous car ('05 GTO) changing out wheel hubs twice and ever damn time the clicking came back. Then one day I started looking at the center caps on the wheels and decided to leave them off the wheels and torque the wheels with the car off the ground using three passes to get to final torque. Drove the car around with no center caps for several weeks and the noise was gone. Put the caps back on the wheels and everything was fine with properly torqued wheels.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:53 PM
widgetsupply
Burning Brakes

I have a friend who took his Avalanche to the dealer multiple times for a problem related to poor power and accelleration. The last time, GM was getting ready to send out a technician from the factory when someone at the dealership finally realized the carpet was shoved up under the gas pedal. Someone should of lost their job over that one. Try a different dealer.

Quick Reply: Dealers can't fix my car! What now??