C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnetic Drain Plugs - Really Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 04:24 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE
That's incorrect. I just went to the Chevy dealer and he confirmed that my 2010 (LS3) coupe has 2 oil drain plugs.

I just got 2 magnetic oil plugs from Autozone (Part # 65372 - M12 x 1.75). Had to look up under 2007 Corvette parts, as the magnetic ones were discontinued on later models (sometime during the 2008 run).
Do you have a GS/dry sump? if not please post pics of your second oil drain plug..
Old 11-02-2009, 11:29 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by troller399
Do you have a GS/dry sump? if not please post pics of your second oil drain plug..
I'm just going by what the Chevy parts guy told me and I was also told the same thing in an email from 'Magdana.com who sell magnetic drain plugs for Corvettes.

I'm doing my first oil change on my new CG 2010 (regular coupe) tomorrow. Not a GS and no dry sump. I'll know for sure once I get under it and I'll let you know what I find.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:56 AM
oldmansan
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by troller399
I was thinking the same thing.

San
Old 11-03-2009, 11:51 AM
blnvette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Anything that the magnetic drain plug catches is a plus. The oil pump is unprotected from all small metal particles and has very close tolerances and will wear too.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:12 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I'm just going by what the Chevy parts guy told me and I was also told the same thing in an email from 'Magdana.com who sell magnetic drain plugs for Corvettes.

I'm doing my first oil change on my new CG 2010 (regular coupe) tomorrow. Not a GS and no dry sump. I'll know for sure once I get under it and I'll let you know what I find.

This link might help you with your oil change. I would hate to know that you spent all day looking for that second oil plug on your base C6.

http://www.bugmanweb.com/c6/c6index.html click on "oil change" on menu on left side.

The base engine, with a wet sump only has one drain plug as ALL the oil is held in a single sump located at the lowest point in the engine. The dry sump systems holds oil in two locations. One is the engine sump, located at the lowest point in the engine. The oil pick up tube cannot completely pickup all the oil in the sump, so it needs a drain plug to empty the ~3/4 qt of oil that can't be picked up. The oil that is pumped from the dry sump goes to a reservoir, located high in the engine bay( where the battery is located on your car). An oil line runs to the oil pan, but not into the sump, and this is where the second plug is located on a dry sump system. Another oil line the runs from this point to a second oil pump that feeds the engine with pressurized oil. Since you do not have the second holding tank (reservoir) on your base car, you don't have the second oil drain plug.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:25 PM
GSRANDY
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A magnetic drain plug is definitely a good idea. Every little bit helps.

LS7 in the Z06 has two (2) oil plugs, not sure if the dry sump LS3 used in the manual transmission Z16 GS Coupe has one (1) or two (2) drain plugs. From the GM video of the LS3, it would appear to have a single drain plug.

Drain plug is M12 x 1.75.

Couple of options:

GM Magnetic Drain Plug P/N 24241872.

C.G Enterprises P/N 1095sm.

Regards,

GSRANDY
Old 11-03-2009, 01:37 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 445 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by C6NRED
I'll offer a different opinion. When I changed my oil the first time, the end of my magnetic drain plug looked like a magnet that had been stuck into iron filings. There was a good 3/8 of an inch of "stuff" stuck there. What was on the end of the plug literally turned a paper towel black. After that, I bought a magnet for the oil filter too in addition to the magnetic drain plug. Oil filters do a good job, but I think that there is stuff in the oil that has not gone through the filter yet that sticks to the magnets.....JMHO..........
Interestingly, I've had the same experience with my '05. Bought new & first week I replaced the original oil plug with a magnetic unit. Did first oil change at 2500 miles & also found "whiskers", which I assumed were iron filings, on the magnet. For all subsequent oil changes, plug was clean so either there's some early "break in wear" in these engines or there may be residue of the manufacturing processes.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:47 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by GSRANDY
A magnetic drain plug is definitely a good idea. Every little bit helps.

LS7 in the Z06 has two (2) oil plugs, not sure if the dry sump LS3 used in the manual transmission Z16 GS Coupe has one (1) or two (2) drain plugs. From the GM video of the LS3, it would appear to have a single drain plug.

Drain plug is M12 x 1.75.

Couple of options:

GM Magnetic Drain Plug P/N 24241872.

C.G Enterprises P/N 1095sm.

Regards,

GSRANDY
\

In the video, the plug that drains the reservoir is not seen. On the right (passenger) side of the pan you will notice the two holes(side by side) that the oil lines bolt to, there is a drain plug located there, to the front. The pan would have to have been turned over and the camera positioned from the front of the pan, in order to view the plug. You don't see the second plug on the inside of the pan as it doesn't drain the pan.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...nderneath.html

Look at the top photo that is shot from the front of the car. See the two flexible oil lines connected to the pan. The plug that drains the lines(and the reservoir) is at the front of the pan. The plug that drains the wet sump is located on the drivers side just in front of the oil filter in the photo, just like on my Z06 LS7.

Last edited by JoesC5; 11-03-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:37 PM
REVAK
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by diverdan
I was reflecting on this as I was driving my C6Z on a road trip this weekend and was stumped:
Aren't most, if not all, of the moving parts that would wear in the LS3, and LS7, aluminum or other non-ferrous metal? If so, what's the advantage of magnetic drain plugs?

What is in these motors that would wear and IS something a magnet would attract? Cylinder sleeves? Camshaft? Rocker arms? Is it a significant percentage of the motor?

It's cheap insurance to have one, I understand, but really necessary?
I got one for my 06 after an experience with one of my other cars. While changing the oil on my 98 LS1, I found what looked like needle bearings on the drain plug. A few thousand miles later, more needle bearings, then a rocker arm failure. The magnetic plug provided the only warning I got before the rocker quit.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:52 PM
ryoder
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Somebody should make a sensor to detect shavings and alert with the check engine light.
It could be hooked to an electromagnet to actively sweep shavings into a bin that is weighed or something.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:27 PM
jpuli28
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just ordered a pkg set (oil filter magnet AND magnetic drain plug) from WCC Forum Store, under $20 (thats w/shipping), #17180003 97-04 C5 Magnetic Protection Package .

I found just a plug on flebay for $27 and a magnet for $10.

Last edited by jpuli28; 11-04-2009 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Added SKU and WCC
Old 11-04-2009, 12:44 AM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

OK, the 2010 standard coupe (NON-GS) has only 1 drain plug.

Thanks for the link to the web page. I just ordered the 'quickoildrainvalve' for future oil changes. I'll keep the magnetic drain plug in for the first few oil changes and then switch to the quick change valve.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:38 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

OK, the 2010 standard coupe (NON-GS) has only 1 drain plug.

Thanks for the link to the web page. I just ordered the 'quickoildrainvalve' for future oil changes. I'll keep the magnetic drain plug in for the first few oil changes and then switch to the quick change valve.
And what lesson did we learn today? You can't always trust the guy(s) at the dealer to know what they're doing. You were given bad information by your dealer parts guy. But, some of us already know this. Just changing your own oil shows that you care about your car, and you don't trust it to your dealer.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:13 AM
newbeetle18t
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jpuli28
I just ordered a pkg set (oil filter magnet AND magnetic drain plug) from WCC, under $20 (thats w/shipping).
I found just the plug on flebay for $27 and the magnet for $10.
How about some part numbers or a link to these Thx
Old 11-04-2009, 12:33 PM
jpuli28
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by newbeetle18t
How about some part numbers or a link to these Thx
Sorry. Via the WCC Forum Store...

#17180003, 97-04 C5 Magnetic Protection Package

Spoke with Customer Service and was advised it will fit the C6.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:18 PM
Togo
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by diverdan
What is in these motors that would wear and IS something a magnet would attract? Cylinder sleeves? Camshaft? Rocker arms? Is it a significant percentage of the motor?
I don't think piston rings are aluminum, and if it has some type of sleeve in the cylinder, aren't those some sort of steel?

i bought a set of these a while back
http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/science/770f/
and use them for my filters and drain plugs on both my vette and my truck "just in case"
Old 11-04-2009, 01:25 PM
jpuli28
Melting Slicks

I just ordered a pkg set (oil filter magnet AND magnetic drain plug) from WCC Forum Store, under $20 (thats w/shipping), #17180003 97-04 C5 Magnetic Protection Package .

I found just a plug on flebay for $27 and a magnet for $10.
Sorry. Via the WCC Forum Store...

#17180003, 97-04 C5 Magnetic Protection Package

Spoke with Customer Service and was advised it will fit the C6.

Sorry guys, I just found out this info is wrong. I recalled WCC and a different rep advised and confirmed the C5 pkg WILL NOT fit the C6

He also could not advise when the C6 kit would be available.

Get notified of new replies

To Magnetic Drain Plugs - Really Worth it?

Old 11-04-2009, 01:39 PM
WCC JOE
Supporting Vendor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Sorry guys, I just found out this info is wrong. I recalled WCC and a different rep advised and confirmed the C5 pkg WILL NOT fit the C6

Hello guys,
I want to confirm the above post. The C5 kit does not fit the C6. I apologize to any customers that were misinformed. I only just got the call regarding this minutes ago and did the research to be sure. I also requested from our purchasing team to locate a C6 version. We will post it up on new products as soon as possible.

-JOE@WCC
Old 11-04-2009, 03:05 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

The magnetic drain plugs that fit the C6 can be ordered from Fichtner Chevrolet, a forum dealer. parts@fichnterchevrolet.com 1-800-234-5284. They are not GM that are discontinued, but an aftermarket that look like the original.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:18 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by dave pawlowski
Interesting point: The original V-W beetles didn't even have an oil filter- just a screen in the sump. But they did have a magnetic drain plug in the trans-axle.
I think Dr. Porsche knew his priorities.
yes and an oil change took about 1.5-2 qts. of oil. not just the original VWs either, right up thru '66 and beyond.

Quick Reply: Magnetic Drain Plugs - Really Worth it?