C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing air filter is easy -- and few pointers with pics...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 02:46 PM
C6NRED
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Replacing air filter is easy -- and few pointers with pics...

I bought the new blue Attack Air Filter from TKO (which is unbelievably well made by the way) and decided to install it this morning.
I thought that I might offer a few pointers for those thinking about doing this with some details that might make it easier -- whether you are installing a new stock filter or a custom one like this -- there is really no reason to pay a mechanic to do this and you have the satisfaction of doing it yourself and knowing everything is nice and tight again.
No, I don't know the technical names for some of these, so maybe someone who might consider those important can weigh in here....but here goes anyway:

First, use a TORX 15 (same as the one for the tailights) to remove the two screws that attach this to the driver's side of the intake:

What is inside is about 3 inches long -- pull it straight out and carefully let it sit nearby on the engine.

The screws are about 3/4 of an inch in length and when you get near the end, take them out the rest of the way by hand and you won't drop them. There is a clip that is underneath this (the Mass Air Sensor) that is posted below as to how to remove the clip and wiring without unscrewing it. If you DO choose to unscrew it, be very, very careful with what you take out and set aside..............Its EXPENSIVE!

Second -- take the hose clamp or other fastener off of one end of the flexible connector from your intake to the manifold. Mine are simple hose clamps that came with the smooth connector that I have.

Third -- this pulls straight out of the hole that is in the passenger side of the intake. Set it aside in the engine compartment:

There are some rubber grommets that hold the intake to the top of the radiator cover. Just pull up on the intake and it will come right off of these and into your hands --- it is now off of the car!.
The grommets are soft and give up their grip pretty easily. One may come off of the intake and stay on the radiator (one of mine did) so pay attention to where they are left after lifting it off:

Look in the bottom of the housing and you will see six black screws on the perimeter of the filter housing. Use a TORX 25 to remove these. They will come out halfway, then you need to pull them toward you to get the second set of threads to start and to come completly out. The screws may stay in the bracket and the bracket come off with the screws halfway out --- but I took mine completely out. The attachment bracket pulls right out once all of the screws are removed:

The stock air filter has two little rubber tabs on both ends to pull it out.

The old filter just lifts right out. Place your new filter in place and replace the bracket and screws (everything may not fit flush until you use the screws to push the new filter down into place by retightening the screws and bracket).
Go around the perimiter of the bracket and tighten the screws gradually so the filter is pushed down into place evenly around the perimeter. It is easier if you hold it between your legs while you do this, as it does not move around as much as if you had it on a surface in front of you, and you'll be much less likely to slip with the TORX and punch a hole in your new $100.00 filter!!:

Take the filter out to your car, reattach it by reversing the above steps and you are done..........It really is very easy to do yourself and sorry if this post got a little long ----- but I for one would have been glad to have this before I started!!

Last edited by C6NRED; 11-08-2009 at 05:00 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by C6NRED:
ClashBandicoot (04-28-2016), Hans D (03-30-2016), mbsnmisc (01-20-2017), TKO Performance (03-31-2016), wwlandry (11-11-2015)
Old 11-08-2009, 03:50 PM
gene0809
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Gonna do next weekend...thanks for the post
Old 11-08-2009, 03:57 PM
C6NRED
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by gene0809
Gonna do next weekend...thanks for the post
You're very welcome....now I just wish that I could drive it! Cloudy and rainy again today. The car is probably put up for the winter, as much as I hate to admit it.....good luck with your install.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:00 PM
slvr 07
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the details, mine put away already, sucks....
Old 11-08-2009, 04:14 PM
HANNY
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts

looks good but why did you take the mass air flow sensor off? (the sensor with the 2 torx screws)? you can just unplug it. I wouldnt mess with it unless you are very carefull. It has a highly sensitive peice that is easy to damage and then you will have all kinds of issues. The MAF sensor unclips pretty easy just take your time great write up for someone that might be hesitant to do it. A little help can go along way

Last edited by HANNY; 11-08-2009 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:22 PM
C6NRED
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by HANNY
looks good but why did you take the mass air flow sensor off? (the sensor with the 2 torx screws)? you can just unplug it. I wouldnt mess with it unless you are very carefull. It has a highly sensitive peice that is easy to damage and then you will have all kinds of issues. The MAF sensor unclips pretty easy just take your time great write up for someone that might be hesitant to do it
Yeah, I was very careful with it --- and I tried to unplug it, but could not see how to do it..
If you can post how it unclips, that might be very valuable to someone trying this. I was thinking that for me, jerking it around in taking the intake off would (or might) have been harder on it than CAREFULLY and slowly removing it and setting it aside.....thanks for the additional advice, i appreciate it!!!
Old 11-08-2009, 04:36 PM
HANNY
Safety Car

there is a grey safety piece that comes all the way off the connector. then just push down on the black connector to release it. All that is "underneath" the connector as you are looking at it on the car so kinda hard to do unless you do it last while removing.
If it were me i wouldnt mess with it and just take the entire air filter housing off but leave the maf hooked up, set the housing on top of the engine leaving it hooked up. Alot of things can be dicked around while doing it "except" the MAF sensor. Its very touchy reading temp and airflow so just be carefull with it. I have an extra air filter housing so if anyone breaks something feel free to PM me. Good luck, paul
Old 11-08-2009, 04:42 PM
HANNY
Safety Car

heres some photos

Old 11-08-2009, 04:43 PM
C6NRED
Le Mans Master

there is a grey safety piece that comes all the way off the connector. then just push down on the black connector to release it. All that is "underneath" the connector as you are looking at it on the car so kinda hard to do unless you do it last while removing.
If it were me i wouldnt mess with it and just take the entire air filter housing off but leave the maf hooked up, set the housing on top of the engine leaving it hooked up. Alot of things can be dicked around while doing it "except" the MAF sensor. Its very touchy reading temp and airflow so just be carefull with it. I have an extra air filter housing so if anyone breaks something feel free to PM me. Good luck, paul
Probably very good advice, thanks..............for me, it was nice to have the intake in my hands, and be able to hold it between my legs when putting the screws back in. Those six screws were pretty tight both coming out and going in! I love this forum for these kinds of things --- we help each other, listen to advice, post pics to help, and treat each other with respect!!!!
Old 11-08-2009, 04:45 PM
C6NRED
Le Mans Master

heres some photos

OK.....i wish I'd had this when I started. I am going to edit my original post to add "go see pics below".
The following users liked this post:
Hans D (03-30-2016)
Old 11-08-2009, 06:33 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Actually, there is no need to disconnect the MAF sensor or even remove it from the air cleaner. The wire that attaches to it has a clip that holds that wire to a small metal brace. Just pull up on that clip. This will give you the slack you'll need to proceed. Next, loosen the front hose clamp and lightly pop the air cleaner assembly off the rubber grommets and just swing the system around so you have access to the torx screws holding the filter in.

Last edited by AirBusPilot; 11-08-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:49 PM
blkvet6
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 73 Posts

Thank you! I've been wanting to do this.... now I have the impetus and the means to do it correctly. Thank you for taking the time and effort to post such helpful instructions!
Old 11-08-2009, 11:38 PM
C6NRED
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
Actually, there is no need to disconnect the MAF sensor or even remove it from the air cleaner. The wire that attaches to it has a clip that holds that wire to a small metal brace. Just pull up on that clip. This will give you the slack you'll need to proceed. Next, loosen the front hose clamp and lightly pop the air cleaner assembly off the rubber grommets and just swing the system around so you have access to the torx screws holding the filter in.
I am sure it can be done that way as well, but I really preferred to have mine out of the car to work on it with those perimeter screws......but thanks for another viewpoint on this easy install!! I would not want to be bending over the fender for all that time.............but your choice if that is comfortable for you.......
The following users liked this post:
wwlandry (11-11-2015)
Old 11-09-2009, 09:44 AM
sxeC7
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'09-'10

All great info, but my question is did anyone who has installed the TKO filter see any improvement or have any issues. I understand the '08 MAF sensor is very sensitive.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:23 AM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by C6NRED
I am sure it can be done that way as well, but I really preferred to have mine out of the car to work on it with those perimeter screws......but thanks for another viewpoint on this easy install!! I would not want to be bending over the fender for all that time.............but your choice if that is comfortable for you.......
The main advantage of the way I am doing it is that I don't have to worry about dropping the maf screws or the maf plastic clip. Both of which would likely be hard to replace if lost. I will be going to the track and swapping filters in the pits soon to compare so that's why.

Originally Posted by sxeC6
All great info, but my question is did anyone who has installed the TKO filter see any improvement or have any issues. I understand the '08 MAF sensor is very sensitive.
*** dyno's are notoriously unreliable, but the car does feel stronger, fwiw. I'll be going to the track soon and will be doing filter swaps between runs. I'm also using the vette air and I got a check engine light last night as the car was surging some. The surging was also occuring with the stock filter/vette air but now it is a little worse.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:42 PM
weathermaker
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Wow! On my 05 it's a couple of clips and your done.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:50 PM
ls2kev
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great post. This DIY should be added to the C6 FAQ

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing air filter is easy -- and few pointers with pics...

Old 11-09-2009, 06:52 PM
TKO Performance
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 279 Likes on 222 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by ls2kev
Great post. This DIY should be added to the C6 FAQ

And your scissors beats paper is
Old 11-09-2009, 07:22 PM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

thank you guys for this thread. Im considering getting one of these filters and would like very much to know what you all think. Christmas is right around the corner
Old 11-10-2009, 12:40 AM
C6NRED
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by z edge
thank you guys for this thread. Im considering getting one of these filters and would like very much to know what you all think. Christmas is right around the corner
I've had many K and N filters in past cars, and the quality of this filter beats everything that I've ever seen or felt. The price is right and the quality is beyond what you'd think it would buy. VERY well made and fits so tight you just know it is NOT going to leak.....and its the last filter you'll ever need as it is cleanable --- just pop it back in again and you are good to go!

Quick Reply: Replacing air filter is easy -- and few pointers with pics...