C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An Auxiliary Input Alternative for owners who don't use XM

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 08:10 AM
ALVetteFan
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ray,

I wanted to thank you again for the original wiring harness. I installed it with PAL behind the waterfall in my Vert. I read your OP and now I haave a question. Since I listen to the IPod quite a bit now, I have considered letting my XM subscription lapse. If I let XM lapse, will the harness and PAL continue to work as now, or will I need an alternative connection?

Thanks again,

Richard

P.S. I would be remiss if I did not thank the engineer who worked on PAL.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:17 AM
97Black
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

What is the difference between this new one and the last one that plugged into the XM box? Will this one charge the ipod touch?

Last edited by 97Black; 11-25-2009 at 08:19 AM. Reason: left out question
Old 11-25-2009, 10:58 AM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ALVetteFan
Ray,

I wanted to thank you again for the original wiring harness. I installed it with PAL behind the waterfall in my Vert. I read your OP and now I haave a question. Since I listen to the IPod quite a bit now, I have considered letting my XM subscription lapse. If I let XM lapse, will the harness and PAL continue to work as now, or will I need an alternative connection?

Thanks again,

Richard

You won't need to renew because your XM feature on your radio has already been activated.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:45 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ALVetteFan
Ray,

Thanks again,

Richard

Hi Richard,

Don't worry about your XM subscription. Your PAL will continue to work just fine.

Ray
Old 11-25-2009, 12:52 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by 97Black
What is the difference between this new one and the last one that plugged into the XM box? Will this one charge the ipod touch?
This harness only provides a way to get audio from a music device into the Vette audio system. The "last one" (since I offer a lot of different harnesses) is a harness to install the GM PAL at the XM receiver. The GM PAL allows complete control of the Ipod through the Vette's Navigation unit, including charging through the single Ipod cable. This new harness does none of that, but for folks who have other music devices besides the Ipod or Iphone, this is an alternative for them.

Ray
Old 11-26-2009, 08:08 AM
ALVetteFan
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Ray,

Thank you for the information.

Richard
Old 12-01-2009, 04:34 PM
Wilzer
Instructor

Ray, looks like you have been busy, and in good time for Christmas too. So if I have an '05 with XM and NO nav, I can install this and not pull the center console etc. although I learned how. I'm wondering if I get a GPS unit with a SD card slot and Bluetooth, can I plug it in to this harness and then have the GPS, BT and MP3s all go through the sound system?? If so, my Christmas wish list is complete.

Thanks, (applause for Ray!!!!!!)

Will
Old 12-01-2009, 04:57 PM
bksnoopy
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is this item the same as the plug which came on my 08'? .. or does your system do something else?

I use it to plug in my I-pod and listen to my downloaded or dvd music.

Thanks,

Ben, OH

OOPS .. I think I understand that this is for early model without the acc plug?

Last edited by bksnoopy; 12-01-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:27 AM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by Wilzer
Ray, looks like you have been busy, and in good time for Christmas too. So if I have an '05 with XM and NO nav, I can install this and not pull the center console etc. although I learned how. I'm wondering if I get a GPS unit with a SD card slot and Bluetooth, can I plug it in to this harness and then have the GPS, BT and MP3s all go through the sound system?? If so, my Christmas wish list is complete.

Thanks, (applause for Ray!!!!!!)

Will
Will,

First of all, let me note that I just updated the website:

http://www.kawal.net/auxinput.htm

with some new options for adding an auxiliary input. I hope this doesn't get too confusing because there are so many ways to accomplish this.

But to answer your question, Alternative 1 on the website (which I think you are referring to) does not require Nav but does require the XM band to be active - no subscription is needed, but you must be able to see XM on your radio or Nav unit. If you can see XM, you can choose it and this harness (AUX-1 harness) will allow whatever you can hear from your device to be played through your audio system.

In other words, if you plugged in a set of earphones to your device, whatever you would hear you could also hear through the Corvette audio system if you plug in the harness.

All this harness does is disconnect the audio input from the XM receiver and instead connect it to your device. That is why you lose XM if you DO have a subscription.

Regarding installation, the AUX-1 harness plugs in at the XM receiver, so you don't need to pull the center console or radio.

You'll note that I now have some other alternatives in case you DO subscribe to XM. But they are a bit more complicated as you'll note in the discussion.

Feel free to email me if you have more questions.

Ray
Old 12-02-2009, 01:34 AM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by bksnoopy
Is this item the same as the plug which came on my 08'? .. or does your system do something else?

I use it to plug in my I-pod and listen to my downloaded or dvd music.

Thanks,

Ben, OH

OOPS .. I think I understand that this is for early model without the acc plug?
Your radio in your '08 came with an auxiliary input that earlier models (and ALL Nav radios) don't have.

The AUX-1 harness described on my now updated website:

in Alternative 1 DOES provide an auxiliary input, but that harness disconnects XM radio - which your built in AUX Input does not.

The other harnesses described in the other Alternatives provide an auxiliary input similar to yours, but not as elegant, since yours is built in. The harnesses described on my website are for those unfortunate souls like me, who have either Nav or an earlier radio without the auxiliary input.

Ray
Old 12-02-2009, 02:37 AM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by Tin Star
Ray,

I already have the PAL wired with your harness and using XM.

What I am waiting for you to come up with is a way for me to keep all I have and still (using my iPhone) stream stations through the 1/8 inch jack.

I want all my toys.
JR,

This updated website will provide some alternatives for adding an auxiliary input and still allow you to "keep all of your toys":

But since you have a PAL, I'd suggest you be patient and wait for some new updates for the PAL. An Aux Input is coming along with other software revisions.

Ray
Old 12-02-2009, 05:55 AM
bksnoopy
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kawal
Your radio in your '08 came with an auxiliary input that earlier models (and ALL Nav radios) don't have.

The AUX-1 harness described on my now updated website:

in Alternative 1 DOES provide an auxiliary input, but that harness disconnects XM radio - which your built in AUX Input does not.

The other harnesses described in the other Alternatives provide an auxiliary input similar to yours, but not as elegant, since yours is built in. The harnesses described on my website are for those unfortunate souls like me, who have either Nav or an earlier radio without the auxiliary input.

Ray
Thanks,

Looks like a nice mod and I would get one from your if I didn't already have one.

I use my I-pod more than the regular radio. I download music from my Direct TV music stations and play in the Vette. The difference in sound is much better coming from the downloaded digital files.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:17 AM
Varcix
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

thanks for the write up!!!! just did this last night took 15 minutes max! and sound is almost as good as CD quality. Now I can stream internet radio through my phone !!! I LOVE IT!!
Old 12-02-2009, 11:05 AM
GotChrist?
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anything for 2005, non-XM, non-NAV, premium Bose systems?
Old 12-02-2009, 12:07 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by GotChrist?
Anything for 2005, non-XM, non-NAV, premium Bose systems?
A non-XM, non-NAV PAL will be available in the coming months. That, combined with an Ipod, is the best choice (in my opinion) for managing music in your Corvette.

These harnesses that I suggest all need XM (the receiver, not a subscription) because without XM, the radio (Nav or non-Nav) does not know there is an additional audio signal present other than the internal AM/FM/CD. These harnesses utilize that additional (XM) audio signal input.

You can, however, trick the radio into thinking it has an XM receiver present by adding a Sirius module. There are a few threads on the forum that discuss installing a PAL with the Sirius module.

Ray

Last edited by kawal; 12-02-2009 at 12:09 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:09 PM
GotChrist?
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you Ray.
John
Old 12-05-2009, 06:46 PM
Crystal Vette
Pro

Thanks Ray. Received earlier this week and had some time to install this morning. Very easy to do. Thanks for making this kit.

AL

Get notified of new replies

To An Auxiliary Input Alternative for owners who don't use XM

Old 12-06-2009, 03:19 AM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

I've just updated the website with some new options for adding an auxiliary input:

The new harnesses have a high quality 22 gauge stranded wire with a foil shield. The wires are soldered to a switched jack which allows you to receive XM audio whenever the jack is not being used. Plugging in an external music device - most anything from an Ipod to a Blackberry - will allow that device's audio through the sound system. You can't control the device from the car, but you can hear the audio. Unplugging the device restores the XM audio.

The two new harnesses are similar to each other, but one plugs into the XM receiver and the other plugs into the back of the Nav unit or non-Nav radio. You can mount the jack at a convenient location for a professional appearing installation.

Ray
Old 12-06-2009, 06:08 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

I again updated the website:

adding a "Do It Yourself" option to make a harness. The difficult part is finding some of the necessary parts to build a harness. The added kit provides those hard-to-find parts.

Ray

Last edited by kawal; 12-06-2009 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:32 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by 97Black
None of these auxiliary input harnesses will charge any music device. There are a number of Ipod adapters out there, including the PAL, that will charge Ipods. But an auxiliary input only provides a way to get the audio from your phone or music device directed through the Vette's audio system.

Ray

Quick Reply: An Auxiliary Input Alternative for owners who don't use XM