C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An Auxiliary Input Alternative for owners who don't use XM

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 04:37 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Rapid Transit
Ray,

I've been looking to add an AUX input to plug in my MP3 player and my T-Mobile Android phone, this is great! I think the "Alternative 1" harness will work for me. I do have some newbie questions:

How do I know if I have the XM receiver in my car?
The car is a 06 Z06, with Navigation. I'm not subsribed to XM. On the Navi screen, I do see the icon for XM.

Do you have instructions on how to install this harness?

Thanks!
Take a look at this website:

http://www.kawal.net/vettemods.htm

and click on the link about Adding an Auxiliary Input to your C6 Corvette. This will explain the different harnesses that are available.

If you have the XM1/2 buttons on your Nav screen, then you have the XM receiver which allows you to select XM as an alternative input to your audio system.

The AUX-1 harness simply substitutes the audio from your own device in place of the audio normally coming from the XM receiver. If you are not subscribed, there is no XM audio - but you can use that input for your own audio into the sound system.

The XM receiver in the coupes and Z06s is above the left rear wheel well. Just pull back the carpet and you'll see it there. Pull it out of the clips and out where you can get your hands on the 16 pin connector. Pull out the connector and plug in the AUX-1 harness between the connector and the XM receiver. Plug your device into the new cable and push the XM button on your Nav unit. Your device audio will play heard through the sound system.

Email me if you want a copy of the one page instruction sheet.

Ray
Old 03-23-2010, 05:07 PM
C2C6Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'11-'12

Great news! We have the Nav Pal in our 05 vert and it is great!!! Now I can put the Pal in my Z with No Nav!!!! Ray, did I miss the ordering info?
Old 03-23-2010, 05:19 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by kawal
Take a look at this website:

and click on the link about Adding an Auxiliary Input to your C6 Corvette. This will explain the different harnesses that are available.

If you have the XM1/2 buttons on your Nav screen, then you have the XM receiver which allows you to select XM as an alternative input to your audio system.

The AUX-1 harness simply substitutes the audio from your own device in place of the audio normally coming from the XM receiver. If you are not subscribed, there is no XM audio - but you can use that input for your own audio into the sound system.

The XM receiver in the coupes and Z06s is above the left rear wheel well. Just pull back the carpet and you'll see it there. Pull it out of the clips and out where you can get your hands on the 16 pin connector. Pull out the connector and plug in the AUX-1 harness between the connector and the XM receiver. Plug your device into the new cable and push the XM button on your Nav unit. Your device audio will play heard through the sound system.

Email me if you want a copy of the one page instruction sheet.

Ray
Just paypal'ed you for the AUX-1.
Thanks for the product,
Old 03-23-2010, 06:12 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by Rapid Transit
Just paypal'ed you for the AUX-1.
Thanks for the product,
It will be in tomorrow's Priority Mail.

Ray
Old 03-23-2010, 06:16 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by C2C6Z06
Great news! We have the Nav Pal in our 05 vert and it is great!!! Now I can put the Pal in my Z with No Nav!!!! Ray, did I miss the ordering info?
Please check the website for the latest updates:

The top link will get you to the new PAL kits.

I have an Ordering website up already, but I don't want to link it to the main site until I get the PALs in stock.

As soon as I have them ready for shipping, I'll update the main site and provide the link for Ordering.

Ray
Old 07-14-2011, 11:45 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

These auxiliary in harnesses will also work in many other GM cars with XM, but I sometimes have to wire them a bit differently. The XM communication wire is on Pin 15 of the Corvette, but on many of the GM trucks, Pin 7 is used instead. I can modify the harnesses to work on most of the vehicles with XM.

Here's the main website:

The auxiliary in page is one of the middle links.

Ray
Old 07-12-2014, 08:47 PM
berk4422
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 50 Posts

Hi Ray,
Just wanted to thank you for the Aux 2 harness for the Vert. I mounted the female jack in the console as noted on your web site. I also mounted the Kinivo on the A pillar next to the on-star. As an Android user, this works perfectly with my stock system and the sound quality is excellent on the bose system with Kicker highs/mids & bose subs. Also the Kinivo has good enough talk/microphone quality.

Since I ran the Kinivo 1/8 jack to the console, it is very easy to switch from the Kinivo input back to stock XM. However, I found (as you said I would) that I have no need to go back to stock xm. My music library, pandora and internet XM are all on my phone.

Thank you!
Old 07-13-2014, 03:14 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by berk4422
Hi Ray,
Just wanted to thank you for the Aux 2 harness for the Vert. I mounted the female jack in the console as noted on your web site. I also mounted the Kinivo on the A pillar next to the on-star. As an Android user, this works perfectly with my stock system and the sound quality is excellent on the bose system with Kicker highs/mids & bose subs. Also the Kinivo has good enough talk/microphone quality.

Since I ran the Kinivo 1/8 jack to the console, it is very easy to switch from the Kinivo input back to stock XM. However, I found (as you said I would) that I have no need to go back to stock xm. My music library, pandora and internet XM are all on my phone.

Thank you!
Thank you for the comments, and yes, the Kinivo Bluetooth is an excellent companion to the AUX-x harnesses. It's especially nice for owners of 2008 and earlier Vettes who don't have factory Bluetooth for handsfree calling. But even those Vette owners with factory Bluetooth don't have the wireless audio streaming capability that the Kinivo has.

Here are the links for the harnesses and the Bluetooth:

http://www.kawal.net/auxinput.htm

and

http://www.kawal.net/bluetooth.htm

Ray
Old 12-19-2014, 09:47 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Default Product Update

I just improved the quality of my auxiliary input harnesses, since I now use OEM quality connectors made by either Delphi or Yazaki - the same as what comes from the factory in your Vette. These connectors are hard to come by unless you are willing to order them in large quantities, but the quality is much better than the generic Chinese connectors, so I decided to splurge and place a large order. For example, I had to buy the Yazaki terminals in a minimum quantity of 8000! That will be a lifetime supply for me.

Here's a photo of the latest AUX-1 harness:

And here is the latest AUX-2 harness:

Your 16 pin connector to your XM receiver will plug directly into the brown Yazaki 16 pin connector of either harness. The black Delphi or Yazaki connector on the harness will plug into your XM receiver. These connectors and terminals are now all OEM quality, which makes installation a snap.

Here's a link to my main website:

Email me anytime for any questions. My email address is at the bottom of the main website.

Ray
Old 12-19-2014, 10:48 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,005 Likes on 2,168 Posts

Kawal, on the new Pals, are you going to be able to program the Pal's to save a trip to the dealer so the Pals activate the XM band on the radio themselves?

The really pisser right now for the I-simple is that you are still looking a C note spent taking the car to the dealer to active the XM band on radio's with a Tech II after the I-simple is installed (read car did not come with a XM module, so the band on the radio was not activated on the radio for the I-simple to work off that band).

If you can, the that is a savings of $100 right from the start that most people don't realize that they will need to spend installing a I-simple device on a OEM radio that the Xm band was not factory activated.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:27 PM
kawal
Emerging Vendor

Originally Posted by Dano523
Kawal, on the new Pals, are you going to be able to program the Pal's to save a trip to the dealer so the Pals activate the XM band on the radio themselves?

The really pisser right now for the I-simple is that you are still looking a C note spent taking the car to the dealer to active the XM band on radio's with a Tech II after the I-simple is installed (read car did not come with a XM module, so the band on the radio was not activated on the radio for the I-simple to work off that band).

If you can, the that is a savings of $100 right from the start that most people don't realize that they will need to spend installing a I-simple device on a OEM radio that the Xm band was not factory activated.
Yes, I have a version of PAL software, 2.2.F089, that has code in it that will create an XM band on the early non-Nav Siemens radios. My "normal" Version 2 software, 2.2.F132, will work in all of the later C6s with Nav or non-Nav radios, and with or without XM.

If you get a PAL and have me upgrade the software, be sure to email or call me to let me know if you have an early radio without XM. Only the "089" version will work in your car.

Because the price of PALs doubled (the list price is now $395!), auxiliary input harnesses have become the choice of a lot of Vette owners. If I ever get the 100 PALs I paid Mediatronics for in 2012, I'll be able to provide a nice package for Vette owners. I still haven't given up hope, but it's been a very long wait - maybe early next year.

Ray
Old 01-31-2018, 01:19 PM
kevinjm
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Apologies for reviving an old thread, but I installed Kawal's harness using the XM input. Works great with a bluetooth dongle I purchased on Amazon.
My only question is, has anyone figured out a way to remove the "OFFER..." message displayed on the radio when selecting the XM band?
I have an 06 C6 without NAV, with premium bose system. It's super annoying to have it flashing all the time. I'd like to edit it to say nothing or simply "AUX".

Last edited by kevinjm; 01-31-2018 at 01:20 PM.

Quick Reply: An Auxiliary Input Alternative for owners who don't use XM