C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where can I find snow chains for my C6

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 08:13 PM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 slow 97
Thanks for the response's guys. The screw trick in the runflats worked like a charm! With all this snow though I decided it would be best to Trade the Vette in. So I drove to the Car Dealership(barely made it and traded in the Vette on this new beauty!
Good Choice! Because if thats what you really did...you deserve it.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:17 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by torquetube

Get a load of all these clucking hens...

I can't believe all these ridiculous replies attacking the OP. The Vette is a CAR, meant to be driven. It's totally legit to at least consider how to make this car go in all conditions / situations.

Driving a Vette during a blizzard... ok, that might be pretty much impossible for the reasons pointed out by many here. A C6 Vette is NOT going to be able to move in 6+" of snow regardless of the type of tires etc.

BUT, please consider that in most areas, the roads get PLOWED shortly after a heavy snow fall and soon all road surfaces having nothing more than a thin layer of compact snow, no actual "depth". Which means a Vette can deal with it.

I live on a side-street and we just got nearly two feet of snow, ended around noon today... a few hours later my street was already plowed clean, just a thin compact layer of snow covered with sand, I could drive my Vette down the street if I wanted to.

I guess the point is, while you cannot drive a Vette in 6+ inch deep snow, you CAN drive a Vette shortly AFTER a big snow storm once the plows have cleaned things up.

A good "snow-tire" or some type of "chains" would help the rear wheels grip in compact snow / ice. Indeed a C6 Vette does not have good fender well clearance for traditional "chains", but there are newer chain-like products on the market that might possibly work. I've seen rubber straps and similar that looked pretty cool.

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan

There was a company called spkes-spider that are mounted to the outside of the rim....
Yes... I seem to remember a post a few years back from a guy who I believe did use those spike-spyder things on his C6 Vette in order to be able to drive his car up his steep snowy driveway. I cannot find this post now. These seemed like a very cool idea, certainly good for getting up a driveway at the very least.

Anyway, a Vette on compact snow can go, but of course traction will be very limited with stock tires. Supercars would be a no-no. Though I did run Supercars one a day when there were snow flurries and lots of icy slush on the roads, car actually handled fine but I was driving "appropriately". Would be bad on compact snow though. GS2s... probably considerably better than Supercars on snow but likely still slippery. Not sure what else is available in terms of a true "snow-tire" for the Vette... performance "snow-tires" ARE available for other performance / sports cars though.

Having said all this, I do my best to avoid having to drive my Vette in snow. I do often have access to other vehicles when there is snow on the ground. I'd agree that driving a Vette in snowy conditions is probably not the most wise thing to do, you might encounter big ice chunks on the roadway (that fall out from behind the wheels of other cars) and stuff like that... and tear your air dam off, etc... the low clearance makes this car very vulnerable in general, snow or no snow.

But at the same time, the Vette still IS a CAR, not just a show-piece, and if the OP needs use of his CAR once the roads are plowed (but still partially snow covered), it's legit for him to ask for ideas / suggestions. He does not deserve all the flaming and bashing from a bunch of "posers" sitting all warm and toasty at their computers with their Vettes tucked away for the winter. Hats off to those who actually USE their Vettes... true "car guys".

Originally Posted by tomzarbo

Well, he wouldn't be the first to drive a Vette in the snow...

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...vorces-feature

TomZ
This Car and Driver report is awesome. I saw this when it was first printed in the magazine... totally cool. One of the best Vette articles I've ever read.

Note to the OP... ignore all the silly cowardly comments in this thread. But I will suggest the following: do not attempt to drive the Vette through any standing snow. Regardless of torque, you'll never get enough traction to overcome the plowing effect... and you may tear the air dam off. Also, if you go out on compact snow, unless the road is heavily sanded / salted, you will have very poor traction... expect to have a very slippery time until you reach the main roads which will be totally clear. Avoid this if you can... but I suppose if you have only a few snowy side streets to tackle before hitting a clean salted highway, you could try it. Completely avoid any hills when on compact snow, period, or you WILL wreck. If you have Supercar tires, forget all this and just walk. As for "chains", sorry, I do not know enough about any "chain" type products to make a worthwhile suggestion. But you may want to look into the best "all season" tires that exist for the C6 Vette... such will not allow you to go zooming through deep snow, but they'd give you perhaps a little extra performance on a road covered with compact snow / slush, etc... a Vette needs all the help it can get on any "wintery" surface.

I ran a northern NY / CT mountain tour back one February with my C6, probably about a 150 mile run through the twisties, it was snowing lightly, the roads were covered with icy slush, it was about 34F degrees the whole time... on new Supercar tires! I'm not recommending that people go out and do this, but I did it and had no problems at all... and had a really fun day to boot. Car remained in complete control (driven appropriately), nice scenery, hit some wineries and cool shops, and most importantly had a blast driving the Vette during the winter... no better way to break up winter-time boredom. I can't comprehend the concept of putting a Vette away for the winter... UNLESS you live in a place that is truly under tons of snow all winter long.... then you're allowed.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:41 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

I found the Corvette Spike Spider post... here is is (oops, not a C6):

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1567065942-post6.html

Old 12-20-2009, 09:05 PM
ZippyGuy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hasn't anyone figuired out that the OP is pulling EVERYONE's leg?
Old 12-20-2009, 09:08 PM
coolcat
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 12-20-2009, 09:42 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ZippyGuy
So he's a sissy also? Geez.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:44 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by coolcat
How dare he! I'm betting he has these:
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DG
Old 12-20-2009, 10:45 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Swiftrider08
Does not even deserve a real response.

Thinking about plowing 14 inches of snow? Take the chain money towards a winter beater!
Old 12-20-2009, 10:47 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
How dare he! I'm betting he has these:
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DG
Some FOOL! in A zr-1!
The one no one wants after these pictures!
Old 12-20-2009, 10:50 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Default Hee haw!

Originally Posted by samotlietuvis
And you really did not need to express your opinion when you have nothing to contribute to original question

"1 slow 97" asked a legit question, and if you don't drive or do not plan on driving your corvette in the snow, then common courtesy would be to keep your $.02 to yourself and stay away from this thread.

I bought SCC Super Z-6 - SZ139 (285/35-19) winter tire cables ($75 shipped from Vulcan tire) C6. The cables require only 6.3 mm (1/4") of clearance. I will write a review on the cables once I get back from my trip.

I just bought my 08 C6 M6 Z51 VY color in NY a week ago while I live in Los Angeles. I will be picking her up after New Year and drive her New York to Los Angeles with my brother. There is nothing better than a cross US trip loaded with fun activities in between. I have family in NY and Chicago. I ski Colorado and Lake Tahoe every year anyways. During our trip my brother and I we will stop in Chicago to visit family, ski in Colorado for 3 or 4 days (Breckenridge, Copper, Vail), stop in Vegas for a 1 or 2 days, then hit Lake Tahoe Heavenly resort for 2 days, and lastly on the way home stop for a half day skiing in Mammoth. And yes, my C6 will see snow, and no, it will not disintegrate in snow. She will do just fine.
Just fine! HAHAHAHAHAH!
Old 12-20-2009, 10:50 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by coolcat
Vette Abuse Alert!
Old 12-20-2009, 10:54 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cmicasa
Dude... if U even think of taking your Vette out in this weather U deserve to get stuck, then yanked outta your car and pistol whipped.

That goes for any Sports car, RWD, FWD, and AWD.

Personally I wouldn't have a Vette here in Baltimore if I didn't own a Tahoe or equivalent as well.
Nice normal thinking is refreshing!
Old 12-21-2009, 09:26 AM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Leave the Vette home.
Get a pair of skis and a bus pass.
We had 14" here in Long Island.
I LOVE my 4WD DD Expedition in this weather....
Old 12-21-2009, 10:00 AM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08
Some FOOL! in A zr-1!
I'll take it!
Old 12-21-2009, 10:14 AM
C5North
Race Director

Location: HOPE is the first step on the road to disappointment.
Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08
Why not?
Old 12-21-2009, 10:18 AM
knick
Pro

wuz you ever in that muvee DUMMER&DUMMER?
Old 12-21-2009, 12:49 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by ZippyGuy
It doesn't matter. The conversation isn't any less valid just because he's a troll.

Get notified of new replies

To Where can I find snow chains for my C6

Old 12-21-2009, 12:52 PM
MN_Corvette
Racer

Originally Posted by Doing69
This is a joke right?

Chains will not help a car which is 4" from the ground with 14" of snow. Once the snow gets under the car and lifts the wheels off the ground you stop.

Rent a car.
And is there even clearance for chains IF you can find them?
Old 12-21-2009, 01:43 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MN_Corvette
And is there even clearance for chains IF you can find them?
Some special cable chains MAYBE, but not regular ones. I still say studded snows would be as good as it gets for them but the cars are way too low, too light, and the tires too wide to do well in anything more than an inch or two of snow.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:27 AM
joraeperkins
Instructor

Default Drove my C5 in snow

Originally Posted by cmicasa
Dude... if U even think of taking your Vette out in this weather U deserve to get stuck, then yanked outta your car and pistol whipped.

That goes for any Sports car, RWD, FWD, and AWD.

Personally I wouldn't have a Vette here in Baltimore if I didn't own a Tahoe or equivalent as well.
I drove my C5 in 4-5" of slushy snow - over mountain pass in Oregon - almost bald tires (does belt starting to show count as almost bald?) and no chains. Put her into 2nd gear, prayed and then drove on. Now where to stop and had to just keep on going.... Actually had to do that twice.
Now I am looking for chains just in case I need them in a couple of week.

Quick Reply: Where can I find snow chains for my C6