C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At what point do you stop?????

Old 12-21-2009, 04:53 PM
HANNY
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts
Default At what point do you stop?????

Being that we are all driving top of the line awesome running cars some of us still want more and boost the engine HP.
At what point do we have to say to ourselves "go buy a drag car". I mean tearing into a 50k car is alot of fun but if we are looking for speed then why dont we "just buy a race car" some might say.
I had a friend tell me today to quit messing with that brand new vette,,,,,your ruining it. So should we just buy another car and mod it and leave the vette's alone?
It seems we have guys on both sides of the fence as far as modding so lets see what you all have to add. Have a safe holiday paul

Old 12-21-2009, 04:58 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

It will never be enough. It will never be done. I will stop modding right after I stop breathing.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:02 PM
tonypittman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

The current corvette lineup performs so well right from the factory, I'm not sure why so many tear into them with warranty-voiding mods. Unless you're racing for a living, it seems like you might want to consider just enjoying these great machines for a while.

That's just my $.02...not judging anyone else. After all, your car, your $.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:14 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,919 Likes on 4,805 Posts

I really like the torque and power range of the Vette and that is one reason I bought it. Would I like more realizing I will never use all of it, yes but I prefer to have the total package such as the Z06 or ZR1. I have no desire to tear into what I have and add power. I know does not make sense but that is me. I would prefer the factory build it for me and cover any issues.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:47 PM
bearman95
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

436 HP and 428 pounds of torque is enough for me. I read somewhere, don't remember where, that the 2008 and 2009 with npp and Z51 package is very comparable to a 2004 model Z06.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:47 PM
GREENTAHOE
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

My previous vehicle was a 740hp daily driver that I modded to hell just to do so. This time I have taken my time and will simply maximize what I have and what I can use. I'm finally ready to move to a FAST ported intake and cam on top of my headers, X pipe, Corsa's, Vararam, and tune. With the new mods I will be done with the motor. Just exterior and minimally invasive interior mods.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:53 PM
Chaser720
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tonypittman
The current corvette lineup performs so well right from the factory, I'm not sure why so many tear into them with warranty-voiding mods. Unless you're racing for a living, it seems like you might want to consider just enjoying these great machines for a while.

For those of us without warrantys, modding just makes the car better so why not??
Old 12-21-2009, 08:48 PM
impactblue
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when i get bored of the car i will mod it. when i want it to look different i will mod it. when i want it to be faster (or slower) i will mod it.
enough is subjective and its not a race car until you have a cage and need to wear a helmet.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:54 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

My car is evolving into a dedicated track (road course) car but "ruining it"...I think not.

If you drove my car you might understand why. I replaced my stock engine a year after I bought my new 2005. Although the Lingenfelter 403 engine comes with a great warranty, if you race the car the warranty is voided (which is standard in the industry). 3+ years later everything has worked out fine. I'm not racing for a living but love the sport. Trust me...I'm enjoying the car.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:17 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Have to admit that when I fell for the Corvette, I never expected to become a mechanic and addicted to modding like I've become. When one thing gets done, I'm looking for the next thing . . . within reason. It's the others that I'm worried about.

Last edited by GotVett?; 12-21-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:51 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I'll keep tinkerin' with mine as long as I have it.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:58 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,237 Likes on 908 Posts

You are never done.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:40 PM
Topas
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am quite content with mine being stock.

Only need to add coilovers.

And a supercharger.

And better audio.

And... you get the picture.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:33 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

To each his own in my book. You wanna go faster, go faster. You wanna look like a Z06, look like a Z06. Whatever.

I have a huge respect for the Corvette mystique and I like mine stock because it is the way it was designed and built. I just respect the car for what it is. If money were no object, I'd buy a specific race car but it probably wouldn't be a Vette.

There is something to be said for a purpose-built race car. I have a friend who races semi-pro and he races purpose-built Porsches. He doesn't even own a Porsche for the street. FWIW, he drives a big Ford SUV.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:47 PM
chupr0kabra
Instructor

I'm not a drag racer. Never was, and probably never will be. I'd love to take the Bob Bondurant course some time (it's on my list of crap to do before I die) and learn how to really drive the car, but in the meantime, it's a fun cruiser with more than enough power under it to put a big smile on my face.

If I wanted a drag racer, I'd go buy another 4th gen Camaro (or Trans Am) and mod the hell out of it. Forget good road manners and driveability, just a straight line terror. I see the appeal, it's just not for me.

As for my C6, I'm not so much afraid of voiding the warranty as I am ruining a well-mannered car. I had a ton of money in my Camaro. Moser 12-bolt, Koni SA shocks, Hotchkis springs, UMI torque arm, 1LE front sway bar, poly/rod adjustable LCAs, double rod ended PHR bar, long tube headers, Magnaflow catback, overhauled the stereo, one-off custom wheels, and a good tune. In the end, it drove great, but I was constantly tweaking it. Some rod end came loose, or needed adjustment, or there was something banging because it didn't fit right/wasn't designed for my specific setup.

The day I test drove the C6, one of the first things I said to my wife was, "NOW I remember what a tight, new, and unmolested car feels like!"

Eventually, I'll do something to the C6, too. Probably more from the appearance standpoint than the engine standpoint (though I have to admit, I wouldn't mind a Procharger). For now, it's nice to have a dependable, well-mannered car that doesn't make me say things like, "Well, the suspension is noisy because they're high performance QA1 rod ends, which allows for better articulation of the rear suspension in hard cornering." Yeah, that's impressive...

-Mike
Old 12-22-2009, 12:05 AM
siffert
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

At first when I got my C6, I also thought it really went well. Did a 13.31 1/4 mile bone stock on a hot day at the drag strip. I then started modding it with bolt-ons (tune, catback, headers, cai, DR's) and got down to 11.73 on a cold day at the strip. Recently I turned it over to my GF and removed the mods. After driving it again bone stock, I could not believe it was such a poorly performing (in a straight line) car.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:01 AM
designerRob
Safety Car

I think people mod for different reasons. But for me I like my cars to be 'special' and I personalize them to what my ideal vision is. In my mind there is always room for improvement. I enjoy improving the interior with a little leather. I'd like to improve the performance with CAI and headers. I'd like to improve the sound system. I'd like to improve the braking system. None of these things 'need' to be done. And I'm perfectly happy without these 'improvements'. This is just something that I enjoy. And as long as I can afford it and have the time I will.

Rock on folks!

Get notified of new replies

To At what point do you stop?????

Old 12-22-2009, 11:34 AM
0corvette pilot
Former Vendor

I quit modding mine after I bought my 370Z.

Seriously though, I had an A&A Vortech on mine and it ran too hot on the road course, so I removed it, and I actually enjoy the car more at 390 rwhp than at 515. At least the power is usable again.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:57 PM
JetBlueLS3
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

You never stop modding so it's better not to start. But it is hard to keep it stock.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:19 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,569 Likes on 1,614 Posts

I think I am mostly done. I may do the wide front and a few interior odds and ends....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: At what point do you stop?????