C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster S or Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 10:29 PM
SeaNile
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Boxster S or Corvette?

I'm toying with the idea of picking up a play car to be used lightly, not abused, garage kept, etc. I have had a 99 Boxster and an 01 S and am very familiar with the cars and the feel. I've never had an issue with them and they are pretty tame by most standards. I have about 25K to spend and was wondering what other options could be out there when decided to look at the prices of vettes. Turns out they are in my price range. Anything major to consider? it seems like the option list is in a different language, where as the Boxster can be sumed up by S and non-S. I assume with the vette the newer is better and the lower miles is better as well. Any other things I should consider? I am sure they are as different as night and day as by the specs they should.

Thanks for the insight.

--JK
Old 12-30-2009, 10:37 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Have you driven a Vette? If not, you should, it will help you decide which way to go. At $25k you're in the entire C5 range including Z06 and the '05-'06 C6. Both are great but the C6 is more refined, probably closer to what you are accustomed to with the P-cars. But no Vette is going to have the kind of interior that the P-cars have. Give a little more info so we can send more specific info your way. Are you going to do any tracking, either race or auto-X? Daily driving or just pleasure? Do you prefer Auto trans or manual? Hard suspension, magnetic adjustable or standard? That kind of stuff.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:37 PM
HANNY
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 105 Posts

a neighbor has an 06 or 7 boxter turbo and he likes it. But he's like 5-8 150lb's. My guess is a bigger guy then that would look pretty dumb like a BMZ-4
Old 12-30-2009, 10:39 PM
Nueboch
Burning Brakes

This is a Corvette forum.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:41 PM
ProudAmerican
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Truly, I don't want to be rude, but is this a serious post?

Boxter S vs Mustang or Nissan Z, that I can see. But vs Vette?

If you're are serious, then I think you have my answer.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:42 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,096 Likes on 808 Posts

Get a Vette hands down, the boxster has lots more HP than the Vette
Old 12-30-2009, 10:44 PM
SeaNile
Intermediate

I know this is a vette forum but also you guys know these cars better than anyone else out there so I wanted to ask here.

Guess if I could sum it up I am looking fun factor. I'm not one to fret over the specs or which is a fraction of a second faster 0-60. I liked the Boxsters I had but am tempted by getting something different. I'd also like to know, with in reason, if 25K gets me a nice well taken care of new generation nicely equipped vette....or does it get me a 75K mile car with base GM stereo with a tape deck?

Looking to use on nice days here in the Philly burbs with a few highway trips thrown into the mix. This car is for fun so manual trans is desired. Also, the boxster is a convert (obviously) so am I strictly looking at hardtop vettes or is a convert possible in the sub 27K range.

No racing, no tracks, hopefully no rain....just for fun and to take good care of.

Thanks again.

--JK
Old 12-30-2009, 10:45 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,570 Likes on 1,615 Posts

You're only going to get one answer here --- This is a Corvette crowd.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:53 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaNile
Guess if I could sum it up I am looking fun factor. I'm not one to fret over the specs or which is a fraction of a second faster 0-60. I liked the Boxsters I had but am tempted by getting something different. I'd also like to know, with in reason, if 25K gets me a nice well taken care of new generation nicely equipped vette....or does it get me a 75K mile car with base GM stereo with a tape deck?

Looking to use on nice days here in the Philly burbs with a few highway trips thrown into the mix. This car is for fun so manual trans is desired. Also, the boxster is a convert (obviously) so am I strictly looking at hardtop vettes or is a convert possible in the sub 27K range.

No racing, no tracks, hopefully no rain....just for fun and to take good care of.

Thanks again.

--JK
$25k - $27k will get you a nice car, even a convertible but that would likely take longer to find. Spend some time in the C6 For Sale section here to get an idea, understanding that the prices there are usually on the high side. Check the auction site (fleabay), several have found nice cars there recently but it's a lot more treacherous because you don't know anything about the seller. Again, I encourage you to go drive a couple first to see if it's a car you will like. If you want playful handling then you would likely want a car with the Z51 suspension option. If you are into highway cruising comfort and handling then the F55 Magnetic Selective Ride suspension option might be to your liking. Try before you buy.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:57 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

You know they call the Boxster the ultimate chic car, followed very closely by the Z4M? It all depends on what kind of driving you like to do and how you drive. I think you would be surprised at the major difference of cost of ownership.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:14 PM
porschebreath
Racer

First of all , don't listen to anyone who has never owned or driven a boxster. I have owned two boxsters . A 2000 S and a base boxster. They are fantastic cars and the S will out handle most cars. Read any Magazines and they will tell you the Boxster is a handling monster , except the Lotus Elise. The problem with Porsche boxsters is they had porous engine blocks that caused engine failure in pre-2000 boxsters.The interiors greatly improved in 05 boxsters , but the previous Boxster interiors where less quality than 05 and up Corvettes. Boxsters also suffer from rear main seal oil leaks. That said they are great , traditional sports cars , that are great fun , but not trouble free or better in quality than C6 Corvettes. The C6 has made GREAT strides in quality compared to previous Corvettes. The Boxster is a finesse , handling sports car. The C6 Corvette is a bargain world class sports car , faster than any Boxster could ever dream of being. It is miles ahead of the C5 in interior quality. The Porsche 911 is the benchmark that the C6 was hunting for. most magazines I have read , give the corvette a first place rating above the 911. The Corvette C6 IMO , is in a different league than the Boxster. , more in the 911 category. Drive the Vette after the Boxster and you will be shocked by the incredible torque it has. I always loved the pre- 1967 Vettes. I never considered the Vette till the C6 came out. Truly world class.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:16 PM
porschebreath
Racer

By the way, the Chic car comments are form the mullet wearing , mustache guys who still wear there jean shorts with there wife beater tucked in.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:23 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

Budget-wise , you're in the 2005-2006 range and a nice car. Truly, the only way to glean an answer is to put your butt in the seat and drive . . .drive the Porsche first . . .then the Vette.

Look in the rear view mirrow - --watch the smile grow on your face.

My guess is that you will have your answer. Good luck - -
Old 12-30-2009, 11:30 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

It sounds like he already knows the Boxster from his OP so it is a matter if he wants to switch over to the Vette.

I can think of three car shows/writers that mention the ultimate chic car. One is Supercars Exposed (Boxster was not the supercar), another was Top Gear (known as the Cockster there also) and third was a recent thread about a South African writer who said the Boxster is better than Z4M for a chic car.

Yes, I drove one. Loved the salesman's comment when I asked about the cubbies near the engine. He said it was for the extra oil. I couldn't see myself spending $70k+ and in reality wanted the 911 if I got a Porsche. I didn't even spend close to $70k ($54k) for my Vette and loving every minute of it.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:32 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by porschebreath
By the way, the chic car comments are from the mullet-wearing , mustache guys who still wear thier jean shorts with thier wife beater tucked in.
I fixed your post so you'd appear more intelligent than the people you're talking down to. I don't think I was successful.

San
Old 12-30-2009, 11:38 PM
porschebreath
Racer

Yeah , wine will do that to you. Not talking down, poking fun oldman.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:39 PM
Halo 2
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=porschebreath;1572591916]By the way, the Chic car comments are form the mullet wearing , mustache guys who still wear there jean shorts with there wife beater tucked in

My wife drives a Boxster and it's nice..........for her. I tried to talk her into another Honda mini-van but she said that she wanted something a little bit more on the "girly side".

BTW, I cut off my mullet, shaved my mustache and started to untuck my wife beater after reading this.

Get notified of new replies

To Boxster S or Corvette?

Old 12-30-2009, 11:42 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

By the way, the Chic car comments are form the mullet wearing , mustache guys who still wear there jean shorts with there wife beater tucked in.
I'd bet a weeks pay on your" not a chic car argument". As a matter of fact this car is a beautiful long blond haired,large breasted, pouty lipped chic car.

PS,I do have a mustache and wish I had enough hair to have a mullet .
Old 12-30-2009, 11:43 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Yeah , wine will do that to you. Not talking down, poking fun oldman.
Especially a good wine. Oh well he screwed up spelling their so you are even.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:44 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Buy the boxcar and go away from us.

Quick Reply: Boxster S or Corvette?